• March 29, 2024, 01:37:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: LED's the right way  (Read 3041 times)

aelwero

• View Profile
LED's the right way
« on: April 29, 2014, 01:20:10 AM »

Broke a rear turn signal and decided on LED's to replace the stock ones.  Did a little research into the flash rate issue and found a better fix than resistors.  resistors use power to create heat in order to raise the wattage to a level the flasher needs to blink at the right rate.

Turns out, autozone has an electronic flasher right off the shelf that blinks the same speed at any wattage, so the circuit will only use what the lights need to operate (less than a watt for LED, as opposed to 20w for incandescent). 
IMAG0217

flasher is under the "gas tank" fairing, right in front of the DC-DC. 
IMAG0219

The three wires have to be removed from the plug and put back in in a different order.  You take a micro screwdriver and shove it in the front to unlock each connector.  They simply push back in and lock to reinstall.
IMAG0216

plug the new flasher unit in (I wrapped mine in tape to seal it, the stock one was unwrapped) and done.  the little rubber connector that clips it onto the frame won't work anymore, but it's pretty secure in there without it anyway.
IMAG0220
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:22:24 AM by aelwero »
"Popular culture believes that Americans no longer want to make anything themselves... that they are happy to have somebody else do it for us.

I've never believed this. The US is full of capable and brilliant designers and dreamers. I encourage you to be one of them. You can do this"

Craig Vetter

wijnand71

• View Profile
Re: LED's the right way
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 12:52:11 AM »

Yes, this is what I'm looking for. No resistors but a decent relay! I wonder why you needed to shuffle the order, it's not standard?
On most relay's I saw an different order when compared to yours. Mostly it is B+, L, E. In your case it is E, L, B+
Did you swap the E and B+ connections?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 02:05:29 AM »

Nice. We have generic guidance on the wiki here: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Turn_Signals

I also used the same relay on a 2016 DSR and also had to swap the polarity. Whoever Zero sources for the relays just has the plug wired in a different orientation from everyone else.

May I have permission to use those photos on the wiki? Or you're welcome to add to the wiki yourself - 2012 model coverage is sparse.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »

Great solution, this LED relay. Posted also my work here:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6282.0
Feel free to use photo's in wiki's etc.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:50:20 AM by wijnand71 »
Pages: [1]