• May 08, 2024, 01:42:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1281 times)

Wolvyr

• View Profile
Advice needed
« on: December 07, 2015, 01:53:01 AM »

I'd like to start by saying sorry if I have posted in the wrong place or have broken any rules.  if I have, please feel free to direct me where to post this and remove it from here.

So my question is what would you say to an 18 year old UK motorcycle driver who wants to go electric permanently?
I've driven a 50cc for half a year and a 125 for another half. My  125 packed up on me and I have decided I have no interest in engines and fossil fuels.
So would it be best to buy an all new electric bike?  Or would it be wiser to convert an old engine powered bike?  It's unrealistic for me to be paying any more than around £7000 for the bike alone and insurance is a big worry for me.
I will be using the bike to get around town (4miles to my town centre)  and I would also like the freedom to do longer rides with my family and friends.
Really,  I'd like any advice you can give,  but mostly I want to ask what bikes would be in my price range or would it be better to just convert a bike? Will a converted bike sky rocket my insurance?
Thanks for taking your time to read this,  all replies are greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:57:03 AM by Wolvyr »

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:11:52 AM »

Don't worry, were a pretty chilled out bunch here.

For a Zero your going to need your A2 licence.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/eu/licence

You could try and get an older 2012 ZF9, as these can be ridden on a CBT (I think) however they are one of the pre ZF-Force technology Zero's and I really would not recommend one.

If you have a talent for Electrical Engineering you can build one, they are not super hard to build, but they can be tricky.
Chat to the chaps over Elmoto about building a bike.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:14:10 AM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 03:20:43 AM »

Ebikes for now are pretty cheap to insure because a lot of premiums depend on the cc of a bike.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »

You might be in luck Wolvyr, I learnt recently that Zero are planning to release a restricted version for the CBT market. It might be out as early as spring. I've no idea about price our range. I would hope that it will be priced competitively.  They need to attract youngsters like you.

My advice though: Get your full license as soon as you can. I know age is a bit of a problem, but you should be able to manage by the time you're 21. As soon as you get that, join your local IAM group. Do your advanced training as soon as you can. It's an enjoyable experience and the best thing you can do to stay safe.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »

Wouldn't restricting it be as simple as just dialling down the controller?

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:10:05 PM »

Probably, as long as the DVLA and Dept of Transport are ok with that. I would'nt like to comment if they are or not though.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »

It might be a stroke of genius on Zero's part. Young riders often like to put loud pipes on their bikes to make them sound like big bikes. Some of them are quite convincing, until you look at the bike. A narrow rear tyre and a chain that wouldn't look out of place on a push bike are a giveaway.

However, although you're limited to just under 15bhp, or 11kW, there are no restrictions on torque...

Just imagine effortlessly smoking your mates off the lights and at every corner! All that effort they'll have gone to making their bikes as 'big' as possible just to be left in the dust by an electric! There will be some seriously dented egos. More importantly some great education for a generation that matters.

Around town those bikes could easily out manoeuvre much bigger ICE bikes too... This could be a big deal.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 03:32:58 AM »

In this video, a video of the french European, this is clarely explained:

FRENCH sorry

The Zero 2016 are now offered  for people for 125CC or less license.

These are limitated to 130kmh max speed but are ranked as 11kW nominal but can still burst their 40kW no prob to preserve acceleration.

My guess is that these have a different motor torque vs speed curve setting in the controller that drop the torque starting at 130kmh.

in fact my understanding is that they calculated that they can sustain 130kmh max and that the equivalent nominal power is 11kW.

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 02:23:09 AM »

Thanks Doc. It sounds to me like you get all the benefits of a standard Zero S with the only real difference being that 80 mph limit. They might only start restricting the power and torque at around 75mph. It's like letting a learner loose on a 600cc ICE bike with a speed limiter.

We just need to know if it can have it's restriction lifted. Many might not bother as going faster just kills the range.
Pages: [1]