• May 06, 2024, 06:38:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Fairing suggestions  (Read 14051 times)

Low On Cash

• View Profile
Re: Fairing suggestions
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 06:26:20 AM »

I wish I could have a fairing on my DSR like the one on my NM4 Honda - the aerodynamics are so good on this bike it achieves 80 mph fuel efficiency with its 700cc class engine. This would allow the Zero to travel at higher rates of speed yet still be battery efficient.

Mike

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 08:08:34 AM »

Its not only the front of the bike that needs to be airodynamic but the back also, as in the above pic.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 09:19:15 AM »

Wow I do like the aerodynamic luggage panniers of that NM4 Honda!  Very nice!!
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »

Its a pretty neat bike - I love to drive the thing, and it attracts more attention than you would believe.  As you can see from the seat, you sort of sit in behind the tank so there is little exposure and less drag. As your moving, you can feel the slip-stream move from the front to the rear around the bags and out the rear, she is totally clean. 

This bike is as close as you can get an ICE to feeling like an electric motorcycle. This bike is dead quiet and equipped with Honda's Dual Clutch Transmission - its a 6 speed,it has 3 modes; Drive - 3 Sport settings and Manual. The DCT has two clutches one for 1st, 3rd and 5th and another for 2nd 4th and 6th. As an example, when you shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd gear is already engaged - when you shift to 2nd, the 1st gear clutch disengages and the 2nd engages, there is no mechanical shifting or noise at that point, it shifts so fast it sounds like an automatic.  This transmission technology is only used in high end sports cars costing $500K to over a mill, its much more advanced and more economical to run since there is no slippage and power loss as there is in an true automatic transmission. By the way that is the back seat sticking up, it folds up in 6 positions to make a backrest when riding 1 UP very comfortable.

This bike is sort of like the Honda Rune where they only offered it for a few years - word is there will be no 2017 models.

Regards - Mike
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:46:49 AM by Low On Cash »

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 04:37:46 PM »

That is one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. Even if it meant you could do 100mph for 200 miles on a couple of AA batteries, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to ride a bike that looked like that!
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Chief_Lee_Visceral

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 06:40:45 PM »

Easy Fred... even if not for everyone you have to respect the engineering. I am glad Honda gets past prototype and all the way to market with limited releases like that. Shows a passion for engineering like you see at KTM and Ducati as well. To each his own and I would like to see one in person myself.
Current bikes:

2016 Zero DSR
2014 KTM 1190R
2011 Husaberg FE570S
2012 KTM 500EXC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2007 Honda CRF450X Rally
1987 BMW K100RS

Edwin-SR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »

Zero parts are nog painted, so the colour after the paintjob won't be the same as the original. I decided to paint it all...

It's getting closer. Does somebody know where to find the RAL codes for Zero's?

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 08:11:37 PM »

That is one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. Even if it meant you could do 100mph for 200 miles on a couple of AA batteries, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to ride a bike that looked like that!

That's A typical goofy response you'll get from from a goon who does not have the ability or knowledge to understand what the bike is all about.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 08:57:34 PM »

I understand what the bike is all about, I just think it's ugly. There are compromises to be made between aerodynamics and aesthetics but in my opinion that's swung too far one way.

No need to take my opinions personally. I've got no problem if you or anyone else likes it.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 09:27:18 PM »

The NM4 was an interesting product and I give credit to Honda for designing and manufacturing the vehicle.  But is sure didn't appeal to U.S. consumer tastes, plus the cost of the scooter was really high here.  I believe I have only seen one on the road.  However, it might be something of a collector's item in the distant future.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »

I see Honda is at it again. Just cause you could, doesn't mean you should! I think the only thing it is missing is these!

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »

The front is a bit "outside the box" but if you look from the front of the tank back that would be what a touring Zero would look like.  I like that back rest/passenger seat and the areo  storage is about as good as you could get.
And yes Low I live in GA but on the south side of ATL.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 10:38:57 PM »

The NM4 Honda is a crazy bike.  I bet it is not as areo as you think.  You said 80 MPH, but you probably meant 80 MPG. A lot of that probably has to do with a more efficient larger engine that is less racy.  If you consider weight and size of a car, then 80 MPG is not really that good.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »

The front of that Honda is ridiculous, and the useful storage space they got out of all these plastics is miniscule compared to what I think it could have been. It's more of a design statement than anything else...
'15 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 04:49:24 AM »

Its a pretty neat bike - I love to drive the thing, and it attracts more attention than you would believe.  As you can see from the seat, you sort of sit in behind the tank so there is little exposure and less drag. As your moving, you can feel the slip-stream move from the front to the rear around the bags and out the rear, she is totally clean. 

This bike is as close as you can get an ICE to feeling like an electric motorcycle. This bike is dead quiet and equipped with Honda's Dual Clutch Transmission - its a 6 speed,it has 3 modes; Drive - 3 Sport settings and Manual. The DCT has two clutches one for 1st, 3rd and 5th and another for 2nd 4th and 6th. As an example, when you shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd gear is already engaged - when you shift to 2nd, the 1st gear clutch disengages and the 2nd engages, there is no mechanical shifting or noise at that point, it shifts so fast it sounds like an automatic.  This transmission technology is only used in high end sports cars costing $500K to over a mill, its much more advanced and more economical to run since there is no slippage and power loss as there is in an true automatic transmission. By the way that is the back seat sticking up, it folds up in 6 positions to make a backrest when riding 1 UP very comfortable.

This bike is sort of like the Honda Rune where they only offered it for a few years - word is there will be no 2017 models.

Regards - Mike
Honda DCT is awesome, I test drove it and it's so smooth and efficient. On the point of the NM4, it's like a modern Pacific Coast crossbred with a Integra. I'm sure taking notes on that rear side, interesting curves.

Zero parts are nog painted, so the colour after the paintjob won't be the same as the original. I decided to paint it all...
I know the colour is in the plastic itself but if it happened to be a RAL color it sure would make it easier to get a decent match. I'm thinking of a two tone thing with orange-black for now...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10