• May 07, 2024, 08:20:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2019 Alta Redshift EXR dual sport review  (Read 3299 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
Re: 2019 Alta Redshift EXR dual sport review
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 03:25:01 AM »

It would be nice if the writers of motorcycle articles that compare them to tractors had actually burned a few tanks full of diesel in a tractor.  To say twist the throttle and it tractors up to me is wrong.  A tractor is governed, the operator sets the throttle and it makes more noise as the load increases the operator does not adjust the throttle.  Pretty amazing actually a diesel tractor stand on the brake for one rear wheel and the thing comes right around.

My Ktm freeride actually does behave like a tractor at 35mph (top speed is 47 or so) at least the one time I went from flat to hill it held the speed with no throttle position change.  Not at low speed by any means though.  That is the kind of tractor comparison I can see as legitimate.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:42:10 AM »

It would be nice if the writers of motorcycle articles that compare them to tractors had actually burned a few tanks full of diesel in a tractor.  To say twist the throttle and it tractors up to me is wrong.  A tractor is governed, the operator sets the throttle and it makes more noise as the load increases the operator does not adjust the throttle.  Pretty amazing actually a diesel tractor stand on the brake for one rear wheel and the thing comes right around.

My Ktm freeride actually does behave like a tractor at 35mph (top speed is 47 or so) at least the one time I went from flat to hill it held the speed with no throttle position change.  Not at low speed by any means though.  That is the kind of tractor comparison I can see as legitimate.

And you think that a motorcycle journalist in Los Angles would know anything about tractors?  I have heard worse descriptions of vehicles that have good traction and torque at the rear wheel.  ;)  I thought it was a decent review of a new electric motorcycle model that the author had never ridden before.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:08:29 PM »

To discuss the article not the motorcycle.  I also do not have anti kick start feelings the way he does.  It was long enough to be useful.  How about that rating of 9 out of 10 for ergonomics/comfort.  It is what it is the seat looks like a seat designed for standing.

The description of the extent of regenerative braking and control of it seems minimal for an article of that length.  Whether the charger is extra or included in the price quoted is missing. I thought the ex has two choices for charger, both extra $.  The article reads plugged bike into gasoline generator. Maybe it is that way for exr like supermoto one? The price I was given on an Alta bike perhaps a  year ago had some pretty steep dealer set up and freight charges. 

I think the military bike, diesel hybrid is exciting, any articles you manage to find about that would be appreciated.  Alta is involved in that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:47:49 PM by Fran K »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 01:48:54 AM »

To discuss the article not the motorcycle.  I also do not have anti kick start feelings the way he does.  It was long enough to be useful.  How about that rating of 9 out of 10 for ergonomics/comfort.  It is what it is the seat looks like a seat designed for standing.

The description of the extent of regenerative braking and control of it seems minimal for an article of that length.  Whether the charger is extra or included in the price quoted is missing. I thought the ex has two choices for charger, both extra $.  The article reads plugged bike into gasoline generator. Maybe it is that way for exr like supermoto one? The price I was given on an Alta bike perhaps a  year ago had some pretty steep dealer set up and freight charges. 

I think the military bike, diesel hybrid is exciting, any articles you manage to find about that would be appreciated.  Alta is involved in that.

I haven't heard a peep about the mil-spec hybrid concept since it was first announced some time ago.  Perhaps the grant money ran out? I wouldn't think that the Alta chassis was large enough to enclose both an IC engine and its fuel tank, as well as their electrical drive system components.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 02:00:01 PM »

When I read "tractor" in this article, I picture a treaded tank climbing a steep slope without slipping. I don't know if tanks are governed.

I love everything about my Zero FX, except I wish it had better low-end torque (I never thought that should need to be said about a DC motor, but the fact is it can't wheelie off the line anything like an ICE bike). The sheer torque and multiple maps on the Alta seem awesome.

I will be ready to buy the Alta when it can cover 60 city miles without babying the throttle (which the FX does easily). Also, they should have a street tire option for us urban hooligans.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 04:55:47 PM »

A bulldozer is a crawler tractor, have not investigated if a tank counts.  I did search out the M1Abrams tank and it is governed which makes sense if it is to fire while in motion.  Apparently the governer can be turned off and go faster.  Tractor is a pretty wide spectrum of machines.  After uning ones in the 50 hp range I no longer fantacize that my motorcycles are behaving like one.

From my experience an electric motorcycle is dial in the amount of thrust desired.  It is better than a standard dirt bike in the no wheelspin department but falls short of a Honda/montesa trials bike with what looks to be a large flywheel.  Try out a modern one of them if you can.  Try riding it around without twisting the throttle.

I looked up the Kwh rating and a zero FX lists 7.2 and Alta redshift 5.8.  That is 80%,  I woud think direct drive and belt would get better efficiency than reduction gear and chain but with similar tires the range may be 75%?  A dealer could swap out the tires,  A new take off knobby should be worth just about as much as a truly new one.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 04:15:45 AM »

The EXR review articles just keep on coming. This one contains a nice video:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/alta-manufacturer/2019-alta-redshift-exr-dual-sport-video-review.html

Badness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 07:22:22 AM »

That was an awesome read thx man.

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »

Was hoping to see a dual sport like a Zero DS.
But this is just another dirt bike from Alta.
Hope they make some real road worthy bikes the future.
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 08:05:29 PM »

Was hoping to see a dual sport like a Zero DS.
But this is just another dirt bike from Alta.
Hope they make some real road worthy bikes the future.

+1

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »

One can call this ex model just another dirt bike.  It can be plated, as such it kind is in a class or market niche of it's own.  Otherwise it is in a class of registratable dirt bikes that have 12 inches of travel and the accompanying ground clearance and seat and peg heigtht.

I think the trails will hold up better if the trend is more towards the electric bicycle/motorcycle borderline zone as opposed to these Alta bikes.

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 10:01:48 PM »

One can call this ex model just another dirt bike.  It can be plated, as such it kind is in a class or market niche of it's own.  Otherwise it is in a class of registratable dirt bikes that have 12 inches of travel and the accompanying ground clearance and seat and peg heigtht.

I think the trails will hold up better if the trend is more towards the electric bicycle/motorcycle borderline zone as opposed to these Alta bikes.

I love the off road Alta bikes, I sold my SM Alta to get into the off road Alta line more but a buddy talked me into trying an electric assist mountain bike, I was hooked, I'd still love to have the Alta but the electric assist mountain bike allows me to ride premium state maintained single track trails where motorcycles are not allowed, I can easily ride 25 miles and still go home and mow the yard if need be.  With more and more riding areas for motorcycles being shut down, the e-assist mtn bikes are worth a look.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 03:21:31 AM »

I love the off road Alta bikes, I sold my SM Alta to get into the off road Alta line more but a buddy talked me into trying an electric assist mountain bike, I was hooked, I'd still love to have the Alta but the electric assist mountain bike allows me to ride premium state maintained single track trails where motorcycles are not allowed, I can easily ride 25 miles and still go home and mow the yard if need be.  With more and more riding areas for motorcycles being shut down, the e-assist mtn bikes are worth a look.

I recently heard on the local TV news that e-bikes are prohibited from using mountain bike trails and paths by one or more of Marin County's (CA) various public land agencies. There seems to be some sort of a political fight going on between push bikes and e-bike riders and maybe hikers and horse owners too? The report didn't go into enough detail for me to understand exactly what is going on. But it does appear that some people seem to feel that riding an e-bike is just too easy and you need to work harder if you want to ride on public trails.  ???

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »

Back in australia we always used to say "it pulls like a tractor" relating to torque... More a reference to strength than speed and responsiveness, methinks :)
But, yes, it doesn't do wonders for marketing the experience off the imagery it conjurs.
Pages: [1]