• May 07, 2024, 02:08:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Do you need to remove the tank bag lock in order to fit '17+ tank plastics?  (Read 370 times)

idle

• View Profile

2 screws (that are difficult to get to) keep the the tank bag lock in place on '16 bikes. Does this lock need to be removed for the newer tank plastics to fit?

TheRan

• View Profile

Looking at images of the location of the lock I'm pretty sure it would have to be removed, it sits right under the lid hinge of the newer tank and I can't imagine Zero would purposely make room for it. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to remove though once the plastics are off?

idle

• View Profile

I'm on it  ;D

TheRan

• View Profile

If you haven't already seen there's this option for repurposing the lock, probably other places it could be mounted too: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/SDS_Platform/Install_Tank_Lock_As_Tail_Helmet_Lock

Did you paint that frame or has the anodising faded? Looks quite good, probably adds a bit of contrast with the black plastics.

idle

• View Profile

Thanks, there are 2 allen bolts mounted, the left one has a ground wire connected to it from the bottom of the frame. I chiseled the thinnest part of the lock and it broke pretty easily. scratches on frame but no big hits to it. Then I rerouted the ground to one of the top screws that hold the body plastic together. New body arrives in a month or so, at least the lock won't be in the way now

idle

• View Profile

Did you paint that frame or has the anodising faded? Looks quite good, probably adds a bit of contrast with the black plastics.

The frame faded. First year that went by it was a kind of annoying purple color, another year or so and it became that grey (which i've come to like too!)

TheRan

• View Profile

Why'd you break it, was the bolt rounded off?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

I never thought of that, for tank plastics renewal. This has been sort of tacitly known necessary for Charge Tank plastics or generally putting a charging port in the same position.

I’ll queue this up for the manual.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile

I think the trunk tank also doesn't use the lock?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile

Speaking of the tank trunk lock, my Power Tank was installed at the factory and the lock remains in place at the front of the tank. It still is opens and closes with ignition key, but that is the only function it serves. I wonder why it stays in place when the PT is installed and is there anything that it can be used for? I tried using it as a helmet lock and it is just too far out of the way to be used to lock anything other than a thin and very flexible steel cable.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

idle

• View Profile

Why'd you break it, was the bolt rounded off?
It was frustrating to access the allen bolts, there's a lip on the frame after you move a lock of wires over (12v ext), you have a tiny bit of leverage to unscrew them and you have to do it from a weird angle without much space. Looks like the ABS/brake lines sit right next to them too - I could have probably got the left bolt if I kept trying but the right bolt would be a challenge anyways.

The actual solution is to use a longer tool from the bottom-up but I knew from https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9664.msg85609#msg85609 that these little extra parts are made with brittle metal. My question now is will my new desert sand bodywork look dumb with a faded frame, we'll see  ;D

I’ll queue this up for the manual.
Gods work

Richard thx for chiming in, maybe the power tank was an earlier design? I never used that lock

TheRan

• View Profile

I didn't realise that the lock itself is threaded and not the frame and that it bolts from underneath, I should have looked closer at the photo of the broken lock.

Is that a custom colour or do you mean the sandstone that the 2019 DS came in? That's what I have, wasn't super keen on it at first but its grown on me and I've had a few people say they like it. Very similar to a colour Yamaha uses on some of their bikes like the TW200. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

idle

• View Profile

Yep sandstone, I'm just tired of the black

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile

I use a bike cable for my helmet anyhow.  Anywhere someone would be carrying bolt cutters to assault bikes is not somewhere I'd want to park anyhow.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]