• May 07, 2024, 02:01:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Knowing full well that ChaDeMo does not work at all stations, what would you pay for ChaDeMo if it were available now?  In other words, who is ready to put their money where their mouth is?

$1,800
- 12 (50%)
$2,000
- 8 (33.3%)
$2,500
- 4 (16.7%)
$3,000
- 0 (0%)
$3,500
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Who wants ChaDeMo  (Read 7697 times)

GBEV

• View Profile
Re: Who wants ChaDeMo
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2015, 05:09:56 PM »

Having read this whole thread I think something may have been missed.

I have a Nissan Leaf in the centre of England and I have given up using public L2 charging in favour of Chademo. L2 is destination charging only so only fine if you want to be there for hours but even then you might turn up and find it occupied by someone who can be there for any length of time as it is a parking space with a charging facility so you can't rely on it ever.

Chademo is a rapid charging space which happens to have somewhere to park so as long as the charger works you should be able to use it, even if it means a shortish wait which can often be minimised by discussion as the other vehicle owner shouldn't be far away either in distance or time.

Where Chademo chargers are doubled up, even if that means only one charger each side of the freeway/motorway, access and reliability improve dramatically. Nissan and *Renault electric cars have a back up plan which is free flatbed trailer recovery to the nearest working charger or home. *Not applicable to Renault EVs if not on expensive battery lease agreement to be clear.

Now to Zero, as a 35 year long biker engineer I have test driven all the 2015 models on a short run recently and was thinking the DS would best suit my location on small uneven country roads miles away from a big town.

Only when I realised that Chademo was no longer a factory option did I drop that idea in favour of the Zero FX as home charging only means no long bike rides out of range without relying on night time stop over recharging on any of their models.

I suspect Zero know they are losing sales without Chademo and there is a reason that they dropped Chademo and just maybe it wasn't just because of the unfinished Chademo standard.

Not just the motor but the battery heats up whilst discharging. The faster the discharge the faster it heats up. Add rapid re-charging and that means more heat in to the battery pack and also less time for the motor and battery to cool down through conduction and convection.

If you can charge faster you will be tempted to both ride faster and go further needing more charges and soon the motor overheat power down restriction will become a regular occurence. More important the battery warranty which, as I understand it, is age and mileage based only, could well be be the subject of expensive to fix warranty claims which would pile future motor and battery liabilities on to Zero which I don't believe they can afford to risk especially with the current buy back scheme being recently implemented.

Their original battery packs were white coloured externally right? Now they are fashionably distinctive and black coloured so there is the added solar load that a black surface absorbs for them to consider as well.

After multiple rapid charges in succession and high speed motorway driving from one charger to the next several UK Leafs have refused to charge at the full rate or at all due to thermal overload even in our moderate climate! I haven't experienced this but I have seen a max temp of 48 Celcius or 118.4 Farenheit in our Leaf where the battery cells are in shade in a metal case under the car and better spread out and so have less concentrated thermal mass than the Zero and no possibility of direct solar heating. The Leaf has a watercooled 80kW motor in the airflow under the car. Zero motor is up to 50kW air cooled only but with next to no airflow!

I would be very interested to hear from anyone with a large Zero battery pack equipped with Chademo about their experiences of thermal overload of motor and/or battery. How many back to back charging & riding sessions have you successfully done on a sunny summer's day? Meanwhile I am firmly sat on the fence as I can't afford a lemon as there are no dealers or repairers willing to commit to warranty work in the UK right now despite what you may have heard.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:42:10 AM by GBEV »

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2015, 07:45:37 PM »

I'm digging up this thread because I don't want to create confusion with the Diginow charger from the other one. I found a company in Amsterdam that has successfully installed a ChaDeMo on a converted Volkswagen T2 and do a lot of work with powertrains etc.

They say that they might pull of a charging inlet that speaks ChaDeMo if there's enough space on the bike.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:51:17 PM by Erasmo »

Swiebo

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »

ChaDeMo is nice, but in my opinion not the future. Are there plans on bringing other fast charging solutions to the Zero motorcycles like the Combo1/US or Combo2/Euro standard?

Peter.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »

I believe the makers of the DigiNow charger plan to incorporate functionality with CCS and CHAdeMO in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2015, 03:34:52 AM »

The diginow charger is a really nice thing but if all you need is ChaDeMo an inlet is cheaper and lighter. If in a year or ten the charger wars finally end and you still ride your Zero you can always change it if needed, shouldn't be that big of an operation.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2015, 07:59:30 AM »

The diginow charger is a really nice thing but if all you need is ChaDeMo an inlet is cheaper and lighter. If in a year or ten the charger wars finally end and you still ride your Zero you can always change it if needed, shouldn't be that big of an operation.
The problem is the group that controls the CHAdeMO spec don't do a good job of enforcing compliance with the spec.  As a result, a lot of CHAdeMO charging stations don't support the lower voltages required for Zero bikes. The DigiNow charger with the upcoming CHAdeMO adapter will solve this by doing a DC-DC conversion from the higher voltages from the charger to the lower voltage needed by the bike.

It's a workaround for sure but an effective one until the charging infrastructure gets more standardized.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]