• May 04, 2024, 07:26:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FX - Add street tires?  (Read 934 times)

Ryan-Utah-FX

• View Profile
FX - Add street tires?
« on: September 14, 2017, 06:34:30 AM »

FX owners:  I'm curious if anyone has replaced their stock tires and added street tires at times?   I'm thinking that once my local, off road sites close down, I'd rather have street tires if possible and save the dual purpose tread for next season, while having better street performance until then.  What do you think?

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: FX - Add street tires?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:59:25 AM »

not only have people done it, they even sell a supermoto... ( http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/ )
before the FXS came out, several people put 17" supermoto rims on their bikes, you can still do that.

or did you mean keeping the stock rims and swapping rubber to something more street oriented? of course you can do that.

Ryan-Utah-FX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:23:53 AM »

Sure.  Of course, I'm familiar with the FXS.  I kind of wanted that bike, but decided I wanted to have the best off road Zero, so went FX.

I'm just wondering about putting street tires on my current rims.  Seems like it would be a big job to get new supermoto rims and change it that way?  So, no, I don't think I would do that.

Can you/anyone point me to which street tires might be the best for the FX stock rims?  Does this seem like the best thing to do for when I'm riding it solely on the street during the off season?

doorsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:43:45 AM »

I would get a fxs front rim and match the tires.  You might want to tweak the front suspension to compensate for the smaller wheel. Steering will feel different also.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 11:48:52 PM »

I've done some research and the only street tires I could find in stock sizes for the FX are Avon Roadriders. Although, the Shinko 705’s are great on the street and very inexpensive, even though they are made for dual sport. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money to transform it into a supermoto because I feel the street handling is just fine as it is. YMMV

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 01:29:45 AM »

I run full knobbies (even non DOT) on the street with no trouble. Yes they lose traction, no I don't crash (yet). No tire is perfect.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:49:45 AM »

You'd be surprised how fast you can go on the stock tires, I have an XR650L and run shinko 50/50's on it and have no troubles.  Like my old road race instructor said "if you ain't sliding, you're going too slow"...

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 09:46:50 AM »

I run full knobbies (even non DOT) on the street with no trouble. Yes they lose traction, no I don't crash (yet). No tire is perfect.
dude, how much street riding do you do? I love riding my MX bikes on the street, but the knobs always chunk apart after a few hours of street riding. Do you have kobbies that dont round over or chunk? or do you keep riding when they do?

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »

They don't chunk and the rounding is from off road dirt and gravel, pavement actually wears them flat. I run Motoz and Metzler. But at least 90% off road, pavement rarely. Pavement does take a toll in knob height if you go a lot of miles. For me, I want the real performance where it counts, get me up that hill or out of that mud hole, speed limits and smooth mean pavement is not as demanding. But allow for longer braking distance and watch the throttle on take off.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190
Pages: [1]