• May 13, 2024, 04:48:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Hypothetically, How much would you pay for an onboard charger that could fit in your tank and charge your zero in under an hour?

- 14 (13.9%)
- 21 (20.8%)
- 16 (15.8%)
- 30 (29.7%)
- 7 (6.9%)
- 7 (6.9%)
- 3 (3%)
- 2 (2%)
- 0 (0%)
- 1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Hypothetically, if you could charge a zero in UNDER 1 hour  (Read 34080 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Hypothetically, if you could charge a zero in UNDER 1 hour
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 02:55:10 AM »

I put 500 but only because I don't actually have any need for fast charging and I would probably pay that just so I can say "one hour" when people ask how long it takes to charge.

If my circumstances changed and I wanted to do a bit of touring I would probably pay 2500 (£2000 GBP).

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 03:16:59 AM »

Thanks for the votes and commenting guys :)

Hope some more users vote on this hypothetical charger price too. Looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 04:25:44 AM »

I wish I could filter plugshare to only show locations with > 1 J1772 plug right next to each other.

Being a developer it is frustrating to see low hanging fruit features excluded :*(

There's always the section for user notes but even if you leave one, it gets scrolled off as others add new ones. They should have a "sticky" or something you can place to make a comment permanent, that would outsource collection of more information about each station to the users themselves.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 04:54:26 AM »

If you can pull this off, happy to offer up my first born.

Seriously though, I have a power tank fitted in the SR currently - it would be removed to make room for this. Price wise, as others have noted, it would be easily be worth at least as much as the PT's if not more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Zero SR

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »

Not one cent, I want lockable storage in the tank area.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 10:07:25 AM »

New2Elec, what you are describing is DC>DC charging, the rumor mill is that Zero are working on it, I would hope they are aiming for CCS instead of CHaDemo as CCS is compatible with J1772 sockets. Indeed that's the route that Energica have gone down with the Ego.

Yeah I have watched the Ego charge videos and all the Lightning videos.  I would love to see some of their ideas on Zeros.  The charging, the cooling, the color screen,  the reverse (just a nice touch), and that 150 top speed for when you need that sort of thing.  Now 40k for a bike and Italy for service and major parts I'll pass on that part. As Benswing said Zeros uses low voltage and I'm wondering which way they go.  On one hand high voltage quick charging is hard to compete against but on the other a redesign for the whole system would be costly and make basically all their bikes up to that point obsolete.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 09:06:54 PM »

the reverse (just a nice touch)

I took my new 2014 DS ZF11.4 to Utah right after I got it. As soon as I get back home the first mod will be to add the reverse switch. That bike is tough to push back when its wheels are in a depression.

I have gotten so used to having reverse on my 2013 FX and my Zero powered e-trike that I had forgotten how useful reverse is until I didn't have it on this 400 lb bike. Zero should provide the reverse so we don't have to modify our wiring and change the software. I use a toggle switch but Zero could make it a momentary push-button on the left bar so that it couldn't accidentally be left in reverse.

Trikester

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 11:08:22 PM »

Not one cent, I want lockable storage in the tank area.

I have to admit, I'd pay the same amount for something that didn't fit into the storage area, if it were somewhat as easy to use and maintain.

However, putting a high density component on the bike, well, it's best in the tank area with the tail as a fallback (passenger seat-loading). I don't want to let my wish for a "pony" (have it all perfect solution) to get in the way of a very good realistic solution.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 01:39:24 AM »

I took my new 2014 DS ZF11.4 to Utah right after I got it. As soon as I get back home the first mod will be to add the reverse switch. That bike is tough to push back when its wheels are in a depression.

I have gotten so used to having reverse on my 2013 FX and my Zero powered e-trike that I had forgotten how useful reverse is until I didn't have it on this 400 lb bike. Zero should provide the reverse so we don't have to modify our wiring and change the software. I use a toggle switch but Zero could make it a momentary push-button on the left bar so that it couldn't accidentally be left in reverse.

Trikester

Ok how about this.  Spring loaded cover over a left hand side reverse button that requires the following.
1. Key on, bike booted up
2. Kickstand up
3. Throttle kill switch on (no throttle access)
4. Lift the cover and press the button (no forward/reverse double signal possible)
5. Kill switch off, reverse button dead, ride away.

Like any good CEO I come up with a broad general idea and leave it up to the EE's to make it happen.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 03:15:44 AM »

+1. I'll communicate with you about that. The Zero DS with a good charger makes a good adventure bike, especially considering that many speeds are below 55 mph, and those thorny off-road situations would be less stressful with a reverse gear. I'm already comparing the DS to my V-Strom for the roads that both can reach and the DS is just really easy to work with and makes for a better day of riding.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 07:38:32 AM »

Hypothetically, if I owned a Zero, I think I'd be willing to pay up to £1,000 for that solution. From what I've read, it does sound like a battery pack redesign is in order though. I would go high voltage and make it as compatible as possible with car fast charging systems to achieve a 90% charge in 20 minutes. Put a few stickers in the right places warning of the high voltage and all should be fine. For those unqualified tinkerers, a Darwin award awaits!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 08:37:29 PM »

Hypothetically, if I owned a Zero, I think I'd be willing to pay up to £1,000 for that solution. From what I've read, it does sound like a battery pack redesign is in order though. I would go high voltage and make it as compatible as possible with car fast charging systems to achieve a 90% charge in 20 minutes. Put a few stickers in the right places warning of the high voltage and all should be fine. For those unqualified tinkerers, a Darwin award awaits!

In addition to Darwin, in the U.S., the lawyers await.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 11:55:35 PM »

Hahaa Richard, I hadn't thought of that...  Made me chuckle.

I'd like to think a UK judge would liken a claim to smoking by a petrol tank and throw it out. Who knows these days though?!? Another option would be to encase the high voltage electrics so they can't be tampered with easily.  They'll have to do something with those high pressure hydrogen tanks when they come in too.

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »

I answered $4000 but the real figure is: the amount of money my wife would not notice missing from our bank account.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 10:10:47 PM »

In that case you just have to label it as clothing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24