• May 05, 2024, 05:54:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Took the plunge with a 2017 Zero SR!!- Noob Question part 2 :)  (Read 555 times)

craigunger

• View Profile

Guys, thanks for all of your replies to my first Noob question a few days ago.  I have made some progress.
I now have a 2017 Zero SR with 500 dealer miles on it sold as a demo- it has the chargetank so that is nice.

What is the current best solution to add another J-plug- Diginow under the bike?  Or in a top case? or Elcon charger in a top case? 
Tell me what is working best for you?

Also are there any external battery solutions in a side case or top case since my tank is now full with the chargetank?

I was thinking of potentially raising my handlebars to get to more of an upright seating position like a DSR (but of course maintain lower center of gravity with the SR and the more performant tires).  Has anyone cone this or considered it?  If so what handlebar risers did you use?

finally i have been reading the unofficial manual but what are the four or five must have modifications- Hand guards, Heated grips, More ergonomic windshield (which one) and any others?

Thanks all!
Craig

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Took the plunge with a 2017 Zero SR!!- Noob Question part 2 :)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 01:54:19 PM »

Guys, thanks for all of your replies to my first Noob question a few days ago.  I have made some progress.
I now have a 2017 Zero SR with 500 dealer miles on it sold as a demo- it has the chargetank so that is nice.
Make very sure that the bike gets both a full commissioning / controller timing done and firmware upgrade at 600mi. Watch the process, insist that you see the work performed, don't take the dealer's word for it that the work is being done. The drive tire (rear) will need to be suspended off the ground for commissioning and there will be a point graph on the dealer's computer screen as they engage the throttle to try to get a consistent grouping of sensor data (the calibration procedure is a bit like a video game). Insist that the dealer note what the timing number was both before and after the procedure. I'm very vocal about this because I've encountered a few dealerships and many "authorized" technicians who don't even know how to do this important procedure, and would tell the customer about performing the procedure when they have only upgraded the firmware.
What is the current best solution to add another J-plug- Diginow under the bike?  Or in a top case? or Elcon charger in a top case? 
Tell me what is working best for you?
Spend some time with the bike as it is and get used to riding it. The 2017 charge tank is already pretty good on its own, not exceptionally great, but still good enough. You can participate in most group rides using only that and no extra chargers are needed. I've seen a few interesting mounting locations for extra charging inlets and am testing some bracket designs, but the most friendly to other EV drivers who may need to unplug or plug your bike is the chargetank top location. Since my own aftermarket charging rig is out of service I've still found it useful to leave the onboard charger wired up to a J1772 inlet; I carry a connectorized J1772 pigtail which plugs into NEMA 5-15 ("Edison" normal household plug for USA) or 220Vac twistlock or NEMA 15-50 depending on what power source I can find. If/When I get the fast charging back into service I may mount a Tesla style inlet for the bike as a secondary and carry the J1772-into-Tesla compact inline adapter;  some modifications should be made to allow the Tesla style inlet to positively lock the plug and prevent a random passerby from taking the inline adapter.
Also are there any external battery solutions in a side case or top case since my tank is now full with the chargetank?
No this has been done only by advanced modifications;  And it is much more cost effective to become better aerodynamic for cheap and great range increases.
I was thinking of potentially raising my handlebars to get to more of an upright seating position like a DSR (but of course maintain lower center of gravity with the SR and the more performant tires).  Has anyone cone this or considered it?  If so what handlebar risers did you use?
Yes, suggest 2-in Rox Speed FX handlebar risers;  Note that I have charge tank cowl and bracket installed, that when inserted a J1772 plug is very close to the handlebar with the risers installed and when trying to remove the cowl for advanced maintenance I have to first loosen the bolts on the risers to flip the handlebar out of the way. For normal charging it is a tight fit for full handlebar lock to one side.
finally i have been reading the unofficial manual but what are the four or five must have modifications- Hand guards, Heated grips, More ergonomic windshield (which one) and any others?
Some kind of guard for the handlebars yes because the brake lever is easy to damage in a right hand tip-over, and the handlebar ends are likely to scuff or deform otherwise.
Heated grips I like the Koso Apollo but they're not a factory fit you have to spend some time carefully modifying them.
Windshield I would suggest that the Zero Touring OEM accessory screen is the minimum and I wish I had actually gotten a Cal Sci because I like how it looked and functioned on B.Rice's bike.
Do not waste your time with a top case any less than 47L the smaller cases are garbage;  But yes the top rack accessory kit for the passenger grab bars is necessary and then you can go with i.e. Monokey universal adapter plate and 47L type or 55L Maxia style top cases.
I don't know about side cases I don't have them on my bike but I really like the fit and build of the Happy Trails side case mounting kit for Zero bikes as I've seen it on several Zero bikes.
You may want to consider a Corbin seat? I've done 22,000mi+ of riding with the stock Zero seat and it is awful for touring but I don't really mind it for daily commuting or half-day trips.

craigunger

• View Profile
Re: Took the plunge with a 2017 Zero SR!!- Noob Question part 2 :)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »

There is gold in this post thank you so much Shadow!  I will watch the dealer do the service- awesome advice!
And yes i will ride first to see how comfortable i am with range and charging solution currently on bike. A few follow up questions:

Since i have a functional chargetank installed should i get a different type of pigtail that allows me to plug in my built in charger to a J-plug so that i can charge through the built in circuit at the same time that i am using the charge tank (using two outlets at the charging station).  I know the built in circuit would still charge very slowly but still two is better than one.

Which Cal Sci windscreen would you recommend?  What about the Puigs any of those?
Which Corbin Seat would you recommend?
Is there a particular handlebar guard you would recommend?
Do you think the dealer could install the Koso apollo (i'd rather not try myself) or is there one that fits more easily that you would recommend?
And most importantly what are the top modifications that will increase range?
Thanks so much!
Craig
Pages: [1]