• May 16, 2024, 09:48:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Backup communication for Zero owners  (Read 2206 times)

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Backup communication for Zero owners
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »

So the forum has been down here for the last few days and now is back up.

6 years ago it was here and elmoto.net that people talked about Zero's but elmoto.net lost a lot of peoples trust when in 2009 or 2010 the entire site and all its posts and content were wiped out and lost.  So in 2010 I only started posting here.  By 2015 the facebook group "Zero Motorcycles Owners Group" began growing, while for years it held under 100 members.  The past year it is growing at about 100 Zero owners a month or over 3 per day.  It is about to cross 3000 Zero owners today.

If you don't use facebook and have noticed the posts here seem less and less frequent that is why.  Because of facebooks notification system it makes replying to comments very easy and timely as well.

I think the only 2 people I haven't seen post there are Richard230 and DougS, but perhaps there are others.  Make sure you at least join the group so you have somewhere to go should there be another extended outage here, but also I think you will perhaps prefer it. 

If you don't have a facebook account yet it takes less than a minute to create one so please don't let that be an excuse.  Starting an account doesn't mean the government is going to track everything you do.  Ahhh there's a 3rd person I haven't seen there.  Shadow, I think you aren't on facebook either and I seem to remember some conspiracy theory about why.  But I know, they want you to think that's what it is.   It's ok, I understand.

For the rest of you, see you there.  8)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zmcowners/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:14:19 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Backup communication for Zero owners
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:36:42 PM »

My family members are on Facebook, but not me.  I don't trust that organization, or Twitter, either, as I don't care for their terms of service. The same goes for the Google Play Store, which means that my cell phone no longer gets any automatic updates, since I decline to agree with their conditions' That is fine with me. I'll stick with internet forums like this one, thank you very much.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »

This is bit of a sidebar.  I'm on the Facebook site, but really prefer the forums here.  It's easier for me to keep track of the threads and search through older posts, where the information gets lost more easily in the shuffle on FB, at least more me.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:17:02 PM »

That is becoming a VERY interesting and important  questions Terry!

Where is the best way to share about our favorite subjects..  It seem like a slow battle between media over years... that become more and more polarizing ...

Often I also wonder myself witch media should i use?.. The one that reach the most people?, the one that is the most safe and less open to big brother?, the one witch is the easiest for  finding informations quickly?.. etc

We the members here are part of a big REVOLUTION by choosing ELectric instead of GAS.  It's often a bit more complicated overall but we make the effort because we BELIEVE in it.  For me , Revolution and "Big brother" seem a very curious mix... should we pay attention to that?...

I think we all one day or another wonder about that... witch media to use?.. how could we be controlled by big brother without even knowing that?.. what influence it does on us.. how important it is....

I've been Guru on the Endless-Sphere forum for years, since 2007 when we were only 207 members... today we are over 34 000...  I am  less posting  on the E-S and now more  on FB only because it's a reflex for me now.. but i did not choose to select that..  Should i think seriously about that?... probably... it would mean i'm not fully paying attention to that... maybe because  i'm sometime a bit lazy.. but....  :-\

I think that is a serious question we should adress before it's too late and that the "choice" is no more an option.

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 12:12:02 AM »

I have a Facebook account....I think. They still pelt me with "Someone changed their status" messages on a regular basis, anyhow.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 12:19:48 AM »

Facebook is a nice second option but is nothing compared to this forum for categorized info.
I think it's more of a troll bridge and you can't keep up with the postings.
I've checked the owners page out and there are some good posts but Facebook also wants you to join just to read, that's a bit of an over reach in my opinion.

I wish EMF would be up online more but I can live with it as long as it stays open (opinions) and free (money).

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 12:34:03 AM »

After years of ignoring EMs, or consigning them to the scooter thread, ADVRider.com now has a dedicated electric motorcycle forum.  I now have 3 places to visit daily.
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 03:36:08 AM »

After years of ignoring EMs, or consigning them to the scooter thread, ADVRider.com now has a dedicated electric motorcycle forum.  I now have 3 places to visit daily.

And now so do I! Tricky...
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 04:13:57 PM »

Use stuff for what it's designed. Forums to share info and ask questions, facebook for showing off and telling people what you ate. I'm not interested in the latter and have no facebook account and from what I hear around me that gives me a few hours a week extra to go ride the Zero instead of weeding through useless messages.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 08:53:17 PM »

Use stuff for what it's designed. Forums to share info and ask questions, facebook for showing off and telling people what you ate. I'm not interested in the latter and have no facebook account and from what I hear around me that gives me a few hours a week extra to go ride the Zero instead of weeding through useless messages.

That's a VERY cynical viewpoint which I happen to share.  :) Facebook always struck me as the "cool kids" party I never had any interest in being invited to.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 09:01:41 PM »

Downtime is tracked at the EMF thread:
Electric Motorcycle Forum FAQ

I note that there could be a trend of EMF going down every 3 months for a few days at a time.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »

Use stuff for what it's designed. Forums to share info and ask questions, facebook for showing off and telling people what you ate.

Telling people what you ate?  When was the last time you used facebook?  Those people moved to Instagram 5 years ago.  Instagram is now for sharing pictures only now and facebook has been the platform for sharing ideas, news, and projects with pictures and descriptions.  If you have a "friend" who posts pictures of food, you can always "unfriend" them to keep your newsfeed completely useful and informative.

The "kids" today will not join facebook, they use snapchat.  I asked some kids why they don't use facebook, and they said "ewwww! no way! my parents are on facebook!"   With more than a quarter of the worlds complete population using it to exchange information and ideas, and over 80% of people in the US, with those age groups under 18 and over 65 showing lower numbers, while the age group 25-34 facebook reports 58 million users in the US, which is pretty much everyone in the US 25-34!!  While the age group 35-44 and 45 to 54 just showing slight progressive declines.

Just saying while 10 years ago many of the fears above you guys mention might have been considered valid, it's completely different today.  I'm just encouraging you to try something new, and if you still don't like it, then don't use it again, but at least try.   If you're not open minded to consider a different viewpoint, how are you any different than the uneducated, racist, redneck wearing a red MAGA hat made in China who you ask "Why do you like someone who lies all the time?" And they reply "no he doesn't! He never lies!" And you ask if they ever watch anything on TV besides Fox news, and they say "of course not, it's the only station that tells the truth! Plus I lost my remote years ago, I watch Fox News 24/7!"  All you can do is shake your head and walk away as you feel they are beyond help.   

My point is when you make up your mind, the truth about something can change, but if you've convinced yourself of something and aren't open to adjust that decision based on changing facts as time goes on, you will be stuck on the incorrect side of things and not realize it, yet still believe you are correct.   Does that make sense?

Just be open minded to new ideas and here in 2018 all of you try once more is all I ask.  Theres 10-20 times more Zero Motorcycle activity on the Zero facebook owners group now than there is here and it's growing more and more everyday it seems.  While a year ago it was perhaps equal, and 2 years ago it was more active here, I'm just saying the times are changing and if the trend continues, you will be out of the loop if you only look here for new information in the near future.

My point was to just inform everyone who is not on the group, that there is perhaps 2000% more activity on the FB group and new owners each day posting pictures of their new bikes and asking simple questions and we all love it, and then there are the complicated issues which has been a huge discussion with perhaps 50 to 100 posts or comments about the concerns over the new firmware.  I think there are 2 threads here that haven't been talked about in days or weeks.   

Be open to try something new, as the trend is shifting in that direction, and if the trend continues, a year from now it will only be more obvious.  Use both, don't avoid EMF by any means, but if I poll the hundreds of new 2017 and 2018 Zero owners on the group, I doubt too many of them are even registered here.   I have been noticing this trend for a while, and it's becoming more and more apparent all the time.   And after the most recent EMF shutdown, I felt I'd share as if you don't use both you don't know. 

I've spent enough time explaining it, and repeated the important points multiple times, you can do what you want and ignore the facts if you want.  Just try not to act like a Trump supporter does is all I'm saying.  All of us on this forum are smart enough to use our brains and not be incorrect just because we are that stubborn.  Or at least most of us are.  There is no harm in trying something new, at least for a day.  If you can't bring yourself to do that, well, I don't even know what to say.   Wear your MAGA hat proudly I guess is all I can.

edit: sorry for bringing Trump into this, I was just using him as something everyone can agree on as ridiculous as no one on this forum being someone who is open minded enough to try something new.  Because if you weren't that capable, you would have never bought a Zero to begin with.  So I was just trying to drive that point in with something we are all unfortunately way too familiar with.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:01:22 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 11:08:32 PM »

The disadvantage to Facebook is the posts appear "willy-nilly" based on whatever algorithm the developers decided to throw into production without testing it first (kind of like Zero with their recent software updates, by the way... whatever happened to testing and QA I wonder?).  It is also harder to search for particular subjects.  Forums like this one are better organized for that kind of information sharing.  Very often on Facebook I'll see something I'll want to check out later, but when I go back, I can't find it at all.  VERY frustrating.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 11:22:31 PM »

The disadvantage to Facebook is the posts appear "willy-nilly" based on whatever algorithm the developers decided to throw into production without testing it first (kind of like Zero with their recent software updates, by the way... whatever happened to testing and QA I wonder?).  It is also harder to search for particular subjects.  Forums like this one are better organized for that kind of information sharing.  Very often on Facebook I'll see something I'll want to check out later, but when I go back, I can't find it at all.  VERY frustrating.

Great point Jaime, I can agree with this.  If I've commented on a post and want to find it again I check my notifications for "Soandso replied to your comment on Zero Motorcycle Owners Group" or I go to the search bar and type in a keyword that I think was used in the post or comments and not used often in other ones.  It's not always easy, but for instance you can type in "trade" so see people talking about trade in values at dealers, or "firmware" to see all the posts regarding peoples frustrations with the new firmware.   But I agree with this as well.  I would like to see all people feel comfortable using both. 

I'm about to make a post right now on FB encouraging people to join the EMF here, but I also wanted to alert people here that while the same old "usual suspects" will always remain active here, 90-95% of new owners are only it seems using the facebook group.  Increasing trends are important as it can be used as a predictor as to how things will be a year from now.  But if you are only on this group, you are not aware of the trend as you don't have all the information.  Yet at the same time, you don't think you are missing any important information, as you are simply unaware.   My goal is to have everyone in both places, it just seems like activity here has been slowly dying for over a year, and activity on the FB group is growing extremely rapidly.  3000 Zero owners yesterday!!

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 01:35:31 AM »

Terry, you obviously feel very strongly about this, and if you were offended by me being flip about it, I'm sorry. I really was just joking, though in general I have no use for "social media". Let's just go have lunch instead....and no cell phones while we're eating!

Seriously, though, what little I do remember about Facebook from my infrequent ventures there, it doesn't really seem set up very well for a forum like this, though Facebook could very well have lots of resources now that I'm completely unaware of. I like the threaded and topical nature of this forum; I can totally ignore the Alta streams if I'm not interested in dirt bikes. I also like that it's single-purpose...if I don't want anybody to know that I needlepoint (not saying), nothing in my profile links me to any other activities if I don't want it to.

Zuckerberg also seems like a whiny little snot, and I don't want to help him take over the world (though there's no point in trying to resist, I don't have to participate).

I'll probably join soon, I'm just being a curmudgeon for a while longer. I'm entitled at my age.
Pages: [1] 2 3