• May 08, 2024, 09:18:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: M5 Givi plate for Zero rack?  (Read 2274 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: M5 Givi plate for Zero rack?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 03:45:13 AM »

Last photo.
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 09:04:46 AM »

Nice work and photos! That suits the Zero rack much better than the generic square plate, and leaves room to take the seat off. (I've sanded the lower edge of my Givi adapter to avoid marring the seat as I remove it.)

The way the plates are arranged might make it more susceptible to strain under high load. I suppose if this could be done with a single plate, it'd be stronger, but also less overhang somehow would be a good idea. I can't criticize, though! The result looks sound overall.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 09:29:20 AM »

It feels strong enough. I could have used steel bars instead of aluminum, but I aluminum is much lighter and easier to work with. The overhang is not that much, actually. I could have placed it more forward, but it would have taken seat space and I sometimes have a passenger. 3" wide bars would be stronger, but could not find that size locally.
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 05:21:56 AM »

Quick update. I am quite happy with the result. The case is big, but I probably would not want it any smaller - fits my helmet and my jacket easily when I get off the bike. Also fits 50lb of cat litter (two large bags), of course, not at the same time as the helmet and jacket ;). I would not ride log distances with 50lb in it, but seemed fine for the local shopping trip. There is more flex is in the bottom of the Maxia 55 case itself - the M5 mount and my plates conversion feel solid.

As for impact on riding with the case, it is very minimal. If it is not heavily loaded. I can feel it is behind me due to side winds and because it does make some rattling noises as most cases do. When loaded with something more than 10-15lb I can feel the weight more. When lightly loaded the weight is not a huge factor, but I can still tell it is there. With 50lb, yes it is quite noticeable ;)
'15 Zero SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 06:31:50 AM »

Very nice mod. I wish I had your brackets and the M5 plate instead of the over-kill universal plate. Your M5 plate install seems to interfere less with the pillion grab bars than the universal plate (as installed in the position most people seem to think it should go). I'm happy with the 47L case but you (and others) keep going on about the 55L Maxia  ;D

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 11:48:10 PM »

The Maxia case is awesome. Also, it's very rare to wish for a smaller top case once you have one. Capacity makes more errands easier which means more value from riding the bike.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:43:31 AM by BrianTRice »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 11:50:47 PM »

We should measure the top rack hole pattern exactly (~0.5mm accuracy) for a fabrication how to. I'll try this soon. I'm at DefCon right now where vehicle hacking happens to be a track but mostly for cars. I'll have time later this week if no one else beats me to it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:43:39 AM by BrianTRice »

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »

I have the Givi box from Zero but I had been thinking about upgrading to the larger Maxia box.  I was worried the Maxia would look absurdly large and awkward installed on the Zero but it looks pretty good to me seeing it installed on your bike.  Without the bike sitting next to another bike with the box from Zero I have a hard time even being able to tell it's bigger... until I see two helmets inside! I'm gonna have to give this another look. Thanks for posting @Kocho!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 08:19:42 PM »

A quick follow-up. The adapter plates I installed seem to be working very well and are strong. My bike was dropped on concrete (when parked) three times already, with the huge GIVI Maxia top case mounted, which completely protected the rear of the bike from sustaining any damage (can't say the same for the brake levers and the bar end and mirrors). I do have some scratches on the case, but the adapter plates are solid. Why dropping so much you ask? My daughter backed into my bike with the car coming our of the garage, then I did it a few weeks later, and I dropped the bike once when I thought the kickstand was down but it was not and I was in a hurry to get off it being late for work (in this last instance, the fact that I had loaded the top case with maybe 15lb of stuff helped me lose balance and made the bike top-heavier than usual).

As for "feel" with the large case mounted - I do feel cross winds and turbulence from traffic on the highway more with the case on vs. with the case off. Not a huge deal, but noticeable nevertheless...
'15 Zero SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 01:09:02 AM »

...Why dropping so much you ask?

It happens. I'm up to 6 tip-overs now, most recently parked on a sidewalk and trying to roll down a curb right-handed I grabbed the brake with the handle bar by mistake. Not a scratch on it; the Givi case, footpeg, and handlebar guards were all the contact points at the ground.

Good to hear the brackets are stable and strong.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »

My daughter backed into my bike with the car coming our of the garage, then I did it a few weeks later,

That's a humbling experience  :-\

My givi top box and mount also reduced damage to the bike when I lowsided it in a round-a-bout.
Pages: 1 [2]