• May 05, 2024, 11:47:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 236.9 miles (381 km) on a single charge  (Read 2445 times)

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Re: 236.9 miles (381 km) on a single charge
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 05:57:44 AM »

Hmmm took an eco trip today, limited to no more than 65kmh, just to see how far i could go.

As you can see its just below 50wh/km.
How can you manage below 40wh/mile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »

Hmmm took an eco trip today, limited to no more than 65kmh, just to see how far i could go.

Check his post quoting tire pressure testing. Was your tire pressure above 40psi?

65kph (40mph) is also faster than he went - more like 30mph (48kph)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »

I reckon Terry cheated a little and paddled with his feet Flintstones style! [emoji6]

Also, isn't Charger a husky dog? Just sayin... ;-)

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »

Rofl

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 06:49:06 PM »

OUTSTANDING!!!  Thank you Terry for setting the bar!

Thanks ElectricZen!  I just like to encourage others to push what they think is possible. 

And no one reasonably would ride 237 miles at these speeds, but what it shows that if you are ever riding around and it looks like you might come up a bit short, that you can go really really far on very little battery if you simply drop your speed down. 
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »

Check his post quoting tire pressure testing. Was your tire pressure above 40psi?

65kph (40mph) is also faster than he went - more like 30mph (48kph)

First of all that is pretty good skoleskibe!  Each time you practice I'll bet you can get better and better. 

And Brian is right, make sure your tires are at 42 psi (max rating) when cold

And here's a few more tips:

Look far ahead and try not to use the friction brakes at all.  Try to coast to a stop whenever possible, and use 100% brake regen only (no brake pads) to stop when you can't coast any further.

Set your torque to 0% on the app.  It just makes the whole resolution of the throttle more precise for slower acceleration which saves battery from most normal stops and goes.

Also 10 minutes before you leave, unplug your bike for 20 seconds and then plug it back in.  If the green light on the dash starts flashing (vs solid green) this means watts are going in to super super top off the battery (check with the app and you'll see watts on the battery 1 page)  As soon as the watts say N/A leave right away to use the most of this energy before this surface charge wears off.

Also the night before a big run where you want the most battery, park your bike inside the house if its warmer inside than outside.  The warmer the battery is before you start the more total energy you will be able to get out of it.

Normally this doesn't make a difference, but an LED headlight can help for a long day of riding at low speeds.  My old headlight used 60 watts, my new one uses 20 watts.  On this run it took somewhere around 15 hours with the bike on.  This includes sitting at red lights, stop signs and traffic where the headlight is on but youre not going anywhere.  15 hours of 60 watts is almost 1 kWh (900 Wh).  That's like 10% of the usable battery!!!

On my run using the LED headlight saved 40 watts for 15 hours.  Using less than 40 wh/mile, switching to the LED headlight gave me 15 more miles range.

When you ride, tuck behind the windscreen if you can by sitting on the passenger seat area, and put your feet on the passenger footpegs.  I can't tuck anymore because of Charger, but I always use the passenger pegs and tuck my knees tight to the tank when riding to reduce the frontal area of my legs to the wind and to reduce the flapping of my pant legs.

Also on the 2015 and 2016 S/SR/DS/DSR you can keep riding long after you hit 0%. (I went 20 miles after hitting 0 on the dash on this run, and Brandon Miller went 17 miles on his 2016 SR after seeing 0% on the dash without a power tank!!!  The 2016 battery is just so amazing!!  If you have a 2014 Zero and want more range, plan for a future upgrade to a 2016 if you can.  The difference in price on trading in your 2014 will be well worth it, if range is an issue as it will let you do more things each day which you can't put a price tag on.)

Anyway, when you first hit 0% stop, flip the kill switch on the right handlebar and your phone app will go so you can see the battery page.  Notice that there is still about 0.5 kwh left!  Also press battery page 2 and you'll see about 98 volts.  Keep riding slow for a bit.  Notice after a few miles that the kWh has gone to 0.0 but the bike still goes!!!  This happens at about 95 volts.  Feel free to keep riding (although speed will drastically be reduced)  After a couple more miles you'll be down to 90-92 volts.  I would stop and plug in there.

I went to 88 volts for the 237 mile run, but it was really slow the last mile and it could cut off at any time.  I have a strong husky puppy who can pull me to the closest charging station, you will have to push it yourself.  And I would plug in immediately if you go that low to keep your battery happy.  Never leave it discharged like that for very long if possible.

Anyway I have some more tips and tricks to get the most range but they are a little more complicated, so I'll leave it to these for now.  Try some of these tips and you'll be going farther on a charge than you ever have before!!  I'd love everyone on this forum to be able to say they are part of the 100 mile club (100 miles on a single charge) and soon I want to start having people join the 200 mile club!!  Charger and I want some company!!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:33:14 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2016, 11:02:06 PM »

Great tips. Thx.
On my second trip i'd go 160km endes up with 9% left. Last half of the trip was really gentle.

I do have some experience with EV as i used to own a "ellert" now known under the name City El back in the Early 90'

http://www.cowi.dk/menu/NyhederogMedier/Nyheder/Nyhedsarkiv/PublishingImages/Elbil_slide7.jpg
It was 36w lead acid 100ah and had a range between 30 40 km. Topspeed about 40km/h

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 02:24:24 AM »

The best I ever did on my 2014 Zero S (no power tank) was 105 miles with 23% charge left (Yea! 100 mile per charge achievment!).  I was averaging ~40-50 mph and ~61 Wh/mi.  I didn't make any adjustments to tire pressure.  I have the Zero top box by Givi and the Zero wind screen (commuter, not touring) and both were installed.  I didn't do any tucking except for about 5 miles on a highway with 55 mph speed limit (I also was sitting on the passenger seat with my feet on the passenger pegs). I also have an LED headlight installed.  SOC can get a little dicey on 2014s under 15% (as stated by many the 2015s and newer are MUCH better) so I'm not sure how much further I could have actually gone on a single charge but I think I could have at least made it to the Zero claimed 130 miles per charge city....maybe evern 150 miles  :o

This wasn't done by the beach where things are really flat (not knocking the beach...I love the beach...kudos Terry!!)...this was done in Missouri where we have hills...real hills...not mountains but there can still be hundreds of feet of elevation change in a short distance.  I was riding in sport mode but I did my best to keep POWER and TORQUE to a max of 2 bars....even going up hills....and try to get as much regen as possible going down hills (again in sport mode so regen not at 100%).  I would never want to ride like this for any other purpose than to hyper mile...full twist at every stop is more my style of riding  ;D

2014 Zero S

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if you appreciate my sense of humor Terry... ;-)

Great post by the way. As I can only rely on 65 miles of mixed riding on my 2014 DSP, throwing down the gauntlet for the 100 mile club is a tempting challenge! It's also a good excuse to get out of the house for a few hours at the weekend. :-)

I hope someone gets chance to copy and paste Terry's post up to the new owners manual wiki.  If I remember, I'll do it myself. Lots of great info there and another great argument against range anxiety. Thanks Terry.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 11:08:49 PM »

if zero made a jet ski....

there would be alot more pics like this...
Pages: 1 [2]