• May 08, 2024, 12:49:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another white SR  (Read 1030 times)

GNU

• View Profile
Another white SR
« on: September 27, 2014, 05:10:22 AM »

Hi,
I thought I should share my experiences from replacing the Zero SR fairings and wrapping them in Vinyl.

Let me start out by answering two common questions:

1. Why wrap them? Couldn't you just order white panels from Zero?
Yes and no. I considered getting a set of White OEM panels but two things made me go a different route.
Firstly, Zero's panels are made from a VERY soft material and has no additional layer of protection. They are therefore very prone to scratching.
Secondly, the white panels from Zero has a "DS" stamped into them. Not a big deal to most people but it bothered me.

2. Why change color at all?
Because I could and also because I like the combination of white and black better than red and black.

So, once I made up my mind I got a set of new (black) Zero S panels.
The Zero S and Zero SR are very similar but one important difference is the size of the motor controller. The Zero S panels (and DS I assume) will not fit without some modifications.
As I took the original SR panels off I discovered that Zero had discovered the same thing themselves :)
There are in fact no SR panels. Only S panels cut to fit the bigger controller. The SR has an additional soft plastic piece that hides the roughly cut (Dremmel to the rescue) modification!

I was told that wrapping the panels (especially the tank) is a tricky job so I outsourced that part of the project.
Once the panels came back I started taking the old panels off. The screws are a mix of metric and imperial, mostly imperial. Some were really tight so I accidentally messed up a pair of them by using cheap tools.
Another mistake I made was cutting a couple of the power connections to the rear lights. Only to later discover they all had nice little connectors that fit snuggly through the holes in the parts.

When I had got all the panels in place I realized I had two big bolts left.
Turns out there's another difference between the S and SR fairings. The SR has two additional bolt holes to secure the passenger seat section to the frame.
I needed to drill two 10mm (big) holes through the aluminum sides of the rear S section to make it identical to the existing SR part.

Anyway, once that was done it was just a matter of re-attaching the cables to the rear lights, re-attach the seat and put the Zero SR stickers on.

I've now had the wrap on for a couple of weeks and I'm still very happy with the result. The off white surface requires more cleaning but I've yet to see a single scratch.

2014 Zero SR

GNU

• View Profile
Re: Another white SR
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »

And here's the result:
2014 Zero SR

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »

How much did that run you, if I may ask.

GNU

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 12:39:36 AM »

If you use the panels you already have and are gentle and remove the stickers with a heat gun it's $400 for material + labor + tax
2014 Zero SR
Pages: [1]