• May 05, 2024, 04:17:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Range differences between a DS and S  (Read 965 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Range differences between a DS and S
« on: November 19, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »

So I've been looking around for a Zero 2014 or maybe 2015 if the price is right, and I noticed that there are some 2015 DS models for sale for about the same price of a 2014 S.

I primarily want the S because it has a slightly better range but the 2015 models have some nice upgrades like the better suspension and ABS. Seeing that core components of the bike are the same, I'm guessing that you can up the range of the DS a bit by replacing the tires with road tires and replacing the front fender with a hugger style like on a S.

Any thoughts on this?

Ndm

• View Profile
Re: Range differences between a DS and S
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »

Actually, I am going the other direction, turning my s into a ds, I just bought the ds wheels and fender from ryburn, I don't think I'll have a chance to test range differences because , Canada=winter, I would definitely go 2015 , I rode one at the dealer and it addresses all the shortcomings of the earlier bikes
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »

I have intensively tested the 2015 DS, and although I went for the 2014 SR…it is a great bike…as you pointed out, there are a lot of improvements in comparing with the 2014 models (including rear brakes), a little more range.

The range difference it is a combination of tires as well as aerodynamics, as the DS is a taller bike, and your riding position is less efficient or "racing"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:41:21 PM by Lipo423 »
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »

as the DS is a taller bike,

This, your cross section is the biggest killer of range there is on your bike.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »

Actually, I am going the other direction, turning my s into a ds, I just bought the ds wheels and fender from ryburn, I don't think I'll have a chance to test range differences because , Canada=winter, I would definitely go 2015 , I rode one at the dealer and it addresses all the shortcomings of the earlier bikes
This way you can have a S in the summer and a DS in the winter!

I have intensively tested the 2015 DS, and although I went for the 2014 SR…it is a great bike…as you pointed out, there are a lot of improvements in comparing with the 2014 models (including rear brakes), a little more range.

The range difference it is a combination of tires as well as aerodynamics, as the DS is a taller bike, and your riding position is less efficient or "racing"
The enlarged cross section is something I have to live with, and to be honest since my commute is very long a more upright position is actually quite welcome.

Road tires do make a big difference but if you look at the front fenders the DS one also seems to be quite the wind catcher. If you replace that with a S fender and maybe later one that sort of looks like one from a K1 you could make some difference on the motorway.
If you compare both bikes with power tank on the motorway range according to the site the difference is only 9km so that might even out with only proper tires already.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »

Yes, street tires will bring the range closer to a Zero S.  I would go for the 2015.  The upgrades make a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 07:13:04 PM »

I think the shock height on the DS might be different due to the off road nature of the DS and the larger front wheel size.  If you change the front the bike is going to lean forward a little....I'm not sure if there are some adjustments you can make to the shock to offset the difference....the change could also make the bike handle differently....it may not be a big issue but its something to think about....has anyone actually done it?
2014 Zero S

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »

I would go with the 2015 DS. Not only is the suspension better, the bike has ABS and (being a year newer) will always have a higher trade-in value than the previous year, assuming the same mileage and mechanical condition.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 09:40:27 PM »

So far the DS has the best cards, if I have to charge twice now and then(cold weather, heavy wind) to reach work until the tires are worn, so be it.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »

I would go with the 2015 DS. Not only is the suspension better, the bike has ABS and (being a year newer) will always have a higher trade-in value than the previous year, assuming the same mileage and mechanical condition.

Go with the 2015 ... if you don't like the height of the front end you can drop the triple tree down about an inch on the fork tubes. This is what was done with my bike. You can also bottom out the rear suspension at the highest setting.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9
Pages: [1]