Makes And Models > Alta Motorcycles

Purchased!! Alta Redshift SM!!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Keith:
I really like the trails at Highland Park next to KTM World. Good challenging single track, one way and fun! I haven't tried the cabins just stayed at a cheap room in Cedartown. Don't get there often, it's a four hour drive for me, but a good place to ride.

Ireek:
Went out this morning and blasted around, did some adjusting here and there, rear pre-load still seems a little soft but I'll address that later.  Started out pretty tame, went up and down the mtn beside the house behaving, for the most part, then (at slightly less than 70% remaining battery) took the long way home and got in a tangle with a Porsche Cayenne S, was killing him in the corners, didn't want to pass but could have easily, but then the road started to open up and that's all it took to zap the battery, top speed limited, lights flashing, oh well, it was fun.  So I got 30 minutes (22 miles) of fun but now looking at almost 6 hrs of charge time.  This is not a bike made for sustained high speeds.  I'm hoping we can get a fast charger for this one sometime soon. 

EDIT: Just went for a 20 mile ride at a much more civilized pace with more traffic congestion although still having fun with short bursts of power, no stop and go traffic but cars here and there on somewhat rural back roads, I only used a little more than 25% battery so that is good, I'm learning here what to do and what not to do.  I think what it is, the bike is so good at going fast that you can get yourself into trouble, I tried watching my speeds and doing just 5 mph over the speed limit is torture, I see a lot of speeding tickets being handed out over this bike ;)

togo:
350V is automotive class.  Should be lots of chargers
available from electic conversion companies, check with
Elcon in Sacramento, maybe. 

http://www.elconchargers.com/catalog/item/7344653/7638116.htm

"Free custom programming" they say, so should be able
to program it not to exceed your max voltage.

Ireek:

--- Quote from: togo on September 12, 2017, 01:10:26 AM ---350V is automotive class.  Should be lots of chargers
available from electic conversion companies, check with
Elcon in Sacramento, maybe. 

http://www.elconchargers.com/catalog/item/7344653/7638116.htm

"Free custom programming" they say, so should be able
to program it not to exceed your max voltage.

--- End quote ---

Very cool, I appreciate the info!!  I will check them out, I think the MX version Alta has an off board charger that can charge at 220 where my bike has an onboard charger that can only charge on 120 so it charges much more slowly, I'm guessing that I'd have to bypass the onboard charger.

togo:
120 and 240 are not charge rates, they are voltages : - )

But different voltages will trigger different charge rates,
since 120vac circuits typically have 15A breakers and 240vac
circuits will usually have 30A breakers, so you get
1800watts abusing a 120v circuit and 7200 watts abusing
a typical dryer/stove/welder circuit.  EV stations are limited
6700 watts, often.

Charge rates would be best measured in watts or kilowatts,
less effectively in Amps (Amps are awkward because you
have to know voltage, and then people get confused between
the AC amps coming in and the DC amps going out).

If you have volts and amps you get watts by P=IV,
watts = amps times volts.

So, when comparing the charging you get from the factory
and the aftermarket charging option, you'll want to
compare the watts and match up the DC volts with the
range your battery can handle.

All of the above, by the way, is general information,
nothing Alta specific.  I have zero experience charging Alta
batteries, there may be other complications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version