• May 04, 2024, 09:11:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Lightfighter Racing Blog  (Read 10672 times)

Frank

• View Profile
Re: Lightfighter Racing Blog
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2020, 03:57:34 AM »

A Question for Brian:

The battery pack seems pretty well protected: it's never been "crash tested", has it?  Can you tell us what material is used for the cases and is there any structural function to it?

I've been wondering about this; my packs are always just stuck inside the bike but some guys built an e-bike in Nova Scotia a few years back using a monocoque type construction and the battery case was (apparently) the "frame".

(thanks) 

ZeroBrian

• Charging Forward!
    • View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2020, 10:52:54 PM »

A Question for Brian:

The battery pack seems pretty well protected: it's never been "crash tested", has it?  Can you tell us what material is used for the cases and is there any structural function to it?

I've been wondering about this; my packs are always just stuck inside the bike but some guys built an e-bike in Nova Scotia a few years back using a monocoque type construction and the battery case was (apparently) the "frame".

(thanks)

The bike's never been crashed, but it's been dropped a couple of times - once at the track doing photo shoot maneuvers in the pit lane and another when it fell off the dyno when the front wheel chock failed.  For v2, the battery enclosure is mostly machined 6061-T6 aluminum, but the front "cover" is a high density plastic.  The top and bottom are machined polycarbonate.  The frame is not designed to rely on the battery for much structural support - i.e. you can pull the battery out and the bike stays together.  One of the prototype bikes in the Brammo days relied on the battery structurally and it was a royal pain to service the battery and work on the bike.  I think the bike you're referring to is the Amarock race bike that Michael Uhlarick designed?  It's a cool concept, but not really aligned with the goals for my Lightfighter project as it hinders serviceability (IMHO) and reduces the flexibility to make changes as you learn things.  Traveling around to professional and amateur race events all these years has made it clear to me that a racing motorcycle needs to be designed to come apart and go back together easily as well as provide for maximum adaptability for different tracks/events.  Hope that helps.
VP of Product Development

2020 Zero SR/F, Boardwalk Red, Premium

Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2020, 06:41:24 PM »

The bike's never been crashed, but it's been dropped a couple of times - once at the track doing photo shoot maneuvers in the pit lane and another when it fell off the dyno when the front wheel chock failed.

I use polycarbonate for my packs; my only crash experience was one time my drag bike was parked in line and a guy on a bicycle ran into it (I kid you not).  I was talking to a friend by his car and heard the crash and thought "that sounds like someone's bike fell over" - turned around and it was mine.  The guy on the bicycle (I think he was drunk) stands and yells "I'm okay!  I'm okay!"  No damage but I wasn't that happy with him, lol.

You are correct about the motorcycle: Amarok.  I've tried to get in touch with them as our place in Nova Scotia is only about an hour from the Halifax area but no luck.  I don't think it was that quick, but it was quite some time ago - technology has advanced a bit since then.  They actually ran it at Pikes Peak.  The track scenes in the video are at Atlantic Motorsports Park, where I do track days.

https://www.amarokracing.ca/site/Home.html

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 06:43:18 PM by Frank »

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »

Great interview and tech details Brian!

-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2020, 07:13:43 PM »

+1

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2020, 08:34:35 AM »

Nice to see it more close up!  What a beefy bike ^-^. But in the good ways.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

ZeroBrian

• Charging Forward!
    • View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2020, 05:58:56 AM »

Thanks!  Trying to strike a balance between technical details and causing the interviewer's eyes to glass over... ;)

Let me know if there are any questions that didn't get addressed in the video. 

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2020, 12:58:57 AM »

Thanks!  Trying to strike a balance between technical details and causing the interviewer's eyes to glass over... ;)

Let me know if there are any questions that didn't get addressed in the video.

Sure! I guess the only question that comes to my mind (which i guess was not talked about in the interview) was the battery cooling. I know the motor is water cooled. How is the heat dissipated from the cells? I guess the pack is not liquid cooled to keep the weight low.

Also, on the same topic, please share your thoughts on potentially using the solid state batteries from QuantumScape in the future :)
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2021, 02:37:56 AM »

Here is the Motorcycle.com video on the LF racing from Troy's POV.  Part One:

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2021, 03:52:08 AM »

The drop-out battery design is interesting.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

ZeroBrian

• Charging Forward!
    • View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2021, 09:21:22 PM »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2021, 01:34:32 AM »

Awesome article.  Nice to see it competitive!

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2021, 07:55:28 AM »

We've got a test at Laguna Seca coming up and another race at Buttonwillow in mid-June with a new race series called CRA.  Poke around on their website and you might see a familiar bright orange bike... ;)

*clicks link and looks at site*

Hmmmm

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2021, 02:38:05 AM »

Great job Brian.  Looks like you have it dialed in and about ready to hang up front or win real soon..
Congrats on the Dunlap sponsorship and of course continued success should attract others.  Maybe a CA motorcycle company.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2021, 11:06:28 PM »

Was just looking at the upcoming schedule for Laguna Seca AHRMA racing and noticed a couple familiar bikes in the header:

https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/government/government-links/weathertech-raceway/upcoming-events/ahrma-copy

See you there in a few weeks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7