• May 04, 2024, 04:25:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Would this motor be any fast?  (Read 1657 times)

Ersavo

• View Profile
Would this motor be any fast?
« on: April 18, 2021, 05:22:01 PM »

https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/budget-screamer-72v-brushed.html

Hello. I found this motor package online. I'm wondering what you guys think of the power?
I understand speed will depend on weight but is this a good start?
Thx

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Would this motor be any fast?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 06:53:26 PM »

You might also want to post your question here:  http://www.elmoto.net/
This group has had some experience with that motor in the past.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »

Very weak at 38HP.
It only runs at 72 volts max.

It doesn't include any batteries which are the most expensive part.

The listing sayes highway speed but that would be a long time coming and only last for a short distance.

Find a nice used Ebike or Zero, pay a bit more and enjoy it more.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 04:07:11 AM »

I wouldn't call that weak, a 7.2 Zero isn't much more powerful at 33kW. Obviously there are other factors than just the power at play but in the right configuration I wouldn't be surprised to see 0-60 times in the 5-6 seconds and a top speed in the range of 80-100mph from that motor, or performance in the same league as a Euro A2 gas bike.

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:08:47 PM »

Very weak at 38HP.
It only runs at 72 volts max.

And this is why you need gears. If you put that setup on a motorcycle body that has a transmission, it should out-perform a Kawasaki 250cc Ninja. They have similar horsepower but, unlike the Kawasaki, this electric doesn't have to rev up in order to get its peak torque.

The only reason 38HP is considered weak on electric motorcycles, but is considered more-than-adequate on gasoline motorcycles is because the gas ones take advantage of different gears and aren't stuck in first all the time.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 06:06:14 AM »

Gas or electric, it's only weak when you compare it to more powerful bikes (obviously). However if you consider that it's enough power to out accelerate 9 out of 10 cars on the road up to legal speeds it doesn't seem so weak.

The only reason 38HP is considered weak on electric motorcycles, but is considered more-than-adequate on gasoline motorcycles is because the gas ones take advantage of different gears and aren't stuck in first all the time.
No 38hp gas bike is doing 90mph at 6k in first gear. To compare it's more like 6th gear, it just has so much more torque that it can accelerate at a decent pace with such high gearing. Even then Zero has to limit low speed torque to try and avoid breaking traction.
Pages: [1]