• May 04, 2024, 08:19:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: matching a Zero motor to a Sevcon controller  (Read 2008 times)

bastens_com

• View Profile
matching a Zero motor to a Sevcon controller
« on: August 27, 2021, 12:34:43 AM »

Hello all, I am hoping to find someone that can give me some background info. I have a SXS (side-by-side) that I converted to electric using a ME1507 and Sevcon controller. I bought it pre-matched but I would like a little more horsepower. So I am thinking if I get a Zero 75-7 motor I should be able to pair it with my SEVCON Gen4 550A?  Before I buy one can someone tell me if I am understanding the difference between matching a ME1507 and a Zero 75-7 motor?

I ask this because if they calibrate the sensor during manufacturing that it wouldn't need to be matched rather just the right setting being known, is this me being ignorant?

What if I buy a Zero motor that is already matched with a SEVCON can I simply take the settings motor sensor settings and transfer it to my SEVCON?

I have the IXXAT adapter and software. I am getting familiar with it and having fun tweaking my ME1507. That being said I have never "matched" a motor to a controller.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Cheers,
Pat

Some pics of my project

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: matching a Zero motor to a Sevcon controller
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 02:09:38 AM »

The guys over at Endless Sphere might be more helpful with your project overall. 
I will say making one of those SXS electric is a real good idea.  That's why Polaris teamed up with Zero to make some.
At this time my understanding is it's Zero's policy to only sell motors to Zero dealers with a repair invoice.

Good luck with it though and post updates when you can.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 01:43:19 PM »

Sounds like a really cool project. The Zero 75-5 motor would give a BIG performance boost!

You would need to find someone that has the required motor configuration file. Endless-sphere.com or diyelectriccar.com would be good places to search.
It might be possible to download the config from an Zero controller. I am not sure if Zero has any security in place to prevent this.
Also fair warning it is possible to brick a Sevcon, we killed a few at my last job.

Found a great blog that chronicles exactly what you are trying to accomplish. 
http://yameb.blogspot.com/2013/08/etekchopper-using-sevcon-gen4-motor.html

Also here is a very long thread on ES about the subject.
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36146

bastens_com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 08:50:38 PM »

Thank you NEW2elec & Demoni for the info! I will check it out.

Some info that might help others looking for guidance:
In regards to using zero for a SXS project they are not performance machines. It is ok but if you are use to a 1000 than you will be disappointed. My ME1507 performs exactly like a 800 which is the same horse power range of 50 hp ... so it is what I expected. I am hopping the 75-7 hp boost to 60+hp would be enough to give it just enough to make it more of a performance machine. If I would build it again I would shoot for a 100ph electric motor range.  I would use a hyper9 type motor because they can be purchased by the end user. The down side is they are 120lbs and require a lot more electrical power so high voltage and Amps would be needed which would exceed the capability of my current battery pack.

Cheers!
Pages: [1]