• May 05, 2024, 12:27:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ebike Wattage Recommendation  (Read 2214 times)

IhaveaWelderandaDream

• View Profile
Ebike Wattage Recommendation
« on: February 15, 2022, 01:37:03 AM »

I'm working on converting a 90cc motorcycle to electric. I have been looking at a 5kw and a 10kw motor to run it with, but that seems pretty low compared to some of the commercial bikes I've seen.

I live in a pretty rural area so it's pretty much a requirement for it to hit 60-65 just to keep from getting tailgated. Are the listed wattage capable of hitting that mark? If not, what kind of wattage should I be aiming for? Any advice is appreciated.

princec

• View Profile
Re: Ebike Wattage Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 01:43:57 AM »

11kW should manage 70mph, just about, but that'll be flat out of course.

Cas :)

IhaveaWelderandaDream

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 02:17:45 AM »

Do you have any motor recommendations around that wattage?

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 02:32:11 AM »

Me, no unfortunately but there's a few knowledgeable types around here who will be able to come up with something.
One thought: get a motor out of a crashed Zero FX. Insane of course but nobody said you had to be rational :P

Cas :)

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 03:49:51 AM »

If it's a 90cc I'm going to assume you won't have much frame space to play with for the motor and battery. You could get 11kW out of a hub motor. The Stealth Bomber comes as a 12kW version and the 8kW model will apparently do 70mph.

https://www.gtelectricscooters.com/product/stealth-bomber-5000w-8000w-72v-80a-dirt-e-bike-2021/

hotsauce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 10:36:45 PM »

If you're going with a hub motor, which is probably the simplest conversion, then I'd recommend the QS motors 12kW
https://www.qsmotor.com/product/17-inch-12kw-hub-motor/
I have it on mine and get a max speed of 85mph on a cold day with a 200lb rider off of a 72v battery. Probably shouldn't go more than 55 for more than a brief time though, to get the longest life out of the motor.
People will warn you about handling with the unsprung weight of a hub motor. In my experience it doesn't make a big difference, and probably only matters if you're going as fast as possible over really bumpy terrain.
Pages: [1]