• May 08, 2024, 10:27:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero FXS (doesn't) take a beating better than I do  (Read 1431 times)

Fred

• View Profile
Re: Zero FXS takes a beating better than I do
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 12:49:11 AM »

After insurance cubed my first car; I have never, ever let them do that to one of my vehicles again.

It's a horrible waste of parts and energy.
I agree with you, but apparently I have no choice. It is not allowed back on the road - even with a new frame. They won't sell it to me under any circumstances.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 01:08:12 AM »

I can be very argumentative.

The liability on the parts is something they like to say, but in reality there is very little.  Most of the parts aren't going to threaten someone's life if it fails due to crash damage aside from the frame.  Not to mention the as-is recovery law is pretty robust to protect the seller.  It's just simpler for them and removes incentive for insurance fraud and ups new vehicle sales.

Still very wasteful.

Hope you're able to get back on soon!

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 01:55:32 AM »

I agree with Crissa. How wasteful and thoughtless of them.

For this reason I have never involved insurance on a solo motorcycle drop/crash, and just repair it myself. I have comprehensive, but would only make a claim in case of theft, or for what I personally evaluate to be a toasted frame. I have submitted medical claims without anyone caring about whether the vehicle was affected.

Definitely save the $5000 of batteries! They are consumable and recyclable. The ones who haul off the bike will appreciate it being 84 lb lighter and less hazardous. I like the idea of picking up a new FX 3.6 or FX 0.0  :).

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 03:29:31 AM »

I'm tempted to just take them out and hope nobody notices. If I did then I'd be tempted to see if it's possible to buy a new modular FXS without batteries!

Sounds like a good plan to me. It would be a terrible waste to throw them out. Does it truly go the the crusher?  Aside from you using the battery, I'm sure someone would want the whole drivetrain for a project.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 04:06:01 AM »

And what did Zero do with the couple of hundred 2012 S/DS bikes that they recalled last year?  ???  I bet they went into the crusher.   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 04:55:23 AM »

Well, the 2012s were already nearly through their lifecycle and I doubt they got very many of them back ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 08:58:04 PM »

FWIW, I also had a 2017 FXS that got totaled (not my fault) about a year and a half ago.  The frame was also cracked, but it was in a inconsequential place near the tail section that could have been easily fixed.  The insurance company was willing to pay to have the frame replaced, however I was worried there could also have been some latent damage to the batteries or other major electronic parts so I told the insurance company that I would only accept the frame replacement if I could be assured that Zero would continue to warranty the bike.  The insurance company talked to Zero and Zero said no dice, they would not warranty the bike after that extensive an accident.  So the insurance company ended up totaling the bike.  The insurance company was also willing to sell my damaged FXS back to me for a very reasonable price, but I declined the offer.  In hindsight, I should have taken the deal.  I could have easily put it back on the road with a salvaged title.  I ended up buying a 2017 Limited Edition DSR with the insurance money.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »

I am pulling my hair out hearing this, and I only have 3 hairs left to begin with.  :-[
The thing about the FX/FXS is that they are purpose-built dirt bikes and are intended to be very robust.
If I totaled my dirt bike every time I crashed it, I would have gone through like 1,000 bikes!
I wonder if an FX would survive tumbling down numerous 12-foot rock staircases at Moab like my WR450F?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2019, 12:00:46 AM »

If I totaled my dirt bike every time I crashed it, I would have gone through like 1,000 bikes!
I wonder if an FX would survive tumbling down numerous 12-foot rock staircases at Moab like my WR450F?
Being hit by a truck provides a type of shock and leverage that just isn't seen when crashing into dirt and stone.  When you slide down a hill, the shock is glancing, low abrasion, stepped.  When you hit another vehicle it's unyielding and grinds sturfaces which are often harder than stone together.

It doesn't seem like much, but a tree or dirt or even stone is 'softer' than pavement or the frame of another vehicle.  And rarely does a tree or boulder actually land atop you (and when it does, you kinda expect it to total it, right?)

I may not have much motorcycling experience, but I have alot of experience falling down mountainsides, wooded or not ^-^;

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2019, 11:20:10 PM »

I finally got the bike back - so that the insurance company can take it away and destroy the frame. Here's the damage that caused it to be a write-off. It's hard to photograph but it's a thumb-sized dent in one of the front down-tubes of the frame, with a little bit of cracking around a nearby weld. I didn't see where the bike landed but it looks suspiciously like that part of the frame hit the kerb.

Everything else apart from one scuffed bar-end is fine. My suspicion is that the company who inspects it saw the opportunity to break it and get pretty much a whole bike load of undamaged parts.

Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

idle

• View Profile
Re: Zero FXS (doesn't) take a beating better than I do
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 05:24:50 AM »

Oh jesus keep the batteries please!

Ayebah

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 05:33:27 AM »

I know its fraud but can I replace your good parts with some of my bad parts before they take it away
I have and FX MY16 and wish I had an FXS with the better brakes and smaller tires instead.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »

Well, that's definitely a mortal injury to the structural integrity of that frame.

At least you're getting a replacement.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 02:36:03 PM »

Oh jesus keep the batteries please!
I thought about it, but a friend pointed out that the company taking it away are probably familiar enough with EVs that they know batteries are valuable. Also, he said it would probably count as insurance fraud and I suspect he's right. I'm leaving the batteries in. I just hope somebody gets to make use of them. I really wanted to buy back the whole bike for spares but they completely refused.

I know its fraud but can I replace your good parts with some of my bad parts before they take it away
I have and FX MY16 and wish I had an FXS with the better brakes and smaller tires instead.
If you wanted to swap some identical parts (e.g. batteries that are a bit tired and don't hold a charge very well) I might have been OK with that. Swapping an FX for a FXS - that's definitely too dodgy!
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 04:34:43 AM »

According to the experts below, it's the claimant's choice whether to remove parts from a vehicle or swap them out. But if they do, the insurance company gets to reduce the loss valuation accordingly. So if one removed parts without notifying them, it would be fraud.
https://autoclaimhero.com/remove-parts-total-loss/
Pages: 1 [2]