• May 04, 2024, 06:58:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What do Zero Owners think of Alta Motors?  (Read 4578 times)

Killroy

• View Profile
What do Zero Owners think of Alta Motors?
« on: July 09, 2016, 10:53:56 AM »

What do you think?

SM

MX

http://www.altamotors.co/machine/redshift-sm/

I wish they did a street version that my small frame can use. 

The specs don't seem amazing, but apparently they are very competitive.  A employee there says that they are 'better than Tesla' on there battery in this thread: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498446

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: What do Zero Owners think of Alta Motors?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 01:09:26 PM »

Tesla batteries are not cutting edge, they use off the shelf Panasonic 18650 cylindrical cells because low price and high availability. They also include water cooling/heating in the battery pack to maintain best battery temperature.

Zero and Alta dont have the luxury of space and weight, so use custom made pouch cells with no cooling/heating. motorbike will always have higher density and simplicity even if it not optimal. Under extreme heat or  cold, Zero range will be reduced.

Alta are great bikes for dirt, better than what Zero has offered, Zero is now mainly producing road bikes. Its good each have different market they are selling too. More electric bikes the better. more choice and competition in the market.

Zero started by selling dirt bikes, hopefully Alta will also make road bikes in the future.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:13:29 PM by firepower »

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:38:27 PM »

Tesla batteries are not cutting edge, they use off the shelf Panasonic 18650 cylindrical cells because low price and high availability. They also include water cooling/heating in the battery pack to maintain best battery temperature.

Zero and Alta dont have the luxury of space and weight, so use custom made pouch cells with no cooling/heating. motorbike will always have higher density and simplicity even if it not optimal. Under extreme heat or  cold, Zero range will be reduced.

Alta are great bikes for dirt, better than what Zero has offered, Zero is now mainly producing road bikes. Its good each have different market they are selling too. More electric bikes the better. more choice and competition in the market.

Zero started by selling dirt bikes, hopefully Alta will also make road bikes in the future.

Sounds like they are using 18650 cells.

From Ohio on BARF:
Our pack architecture is a ~third generation approach to 18650 energy cell implementation with several really big advantages. The biggest for these bikes is that our specific energy (kWh/kg, basically miles per pound) is about 30% higher than Tesla, and Tesla is about 50% higher than everyone else. And this is on a metric that improves on average about 8% a year...

While Tesla uses a off the shelf 18650, they have developed a custom chemistry.  Maybe the cell is not special, but the pack and system overall is.  You have to give Tesla some credit for there range, acceleration and top speed. 

Yon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 02:58:33 AM »

Beautiful. Going to be a bit pricey in Israel as MX prices have fallen considerably. The range will be okay though.

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 05:08:46 AM »

A bit pricey, but a solid entry into the market. I think they're more focused on urban users than Zero and I'm curious if that will be enough to enable them to survive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 05:48:09 PM »

I think it is very interety to try
if you are taking about number

Alta              zero fx
power       30kw             35kw
torque       35Nm             95 Nm
speed        14000 tr/m     3000 tr/m

it is true taht the torque is lot under but with the same speed you are a lot more demutiplicate
so you have to compare 95Nm * 3000 to 35Nm * 14000 whitch is a lot more (it will be the same as 35*14000/3000=163 Nm more that the SR)

for me I am impatient to try to be able to compare
i ride a SR witch go up to 163km/h the alta go only to 135km/h so it is more again 163/135*163 = 197 Nm witch is a massing for only 120kg instead off 185 for the sr
i would like to know the 0 to 100km/h it shoud be under 3s
impatient to try

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »

in addition to suspention WP and to break
impatient to try, but i am afread that in europe it will be not before 1 year :-(
if someone try let us know

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 12:58:23 PM »

I saw a Alta MX today in Scotts Valley, CA.  It was on a trailer, I took some pictures and the owner came out and told me that he was going to Canada for some epic off road.

The Alta that I saw was one of 2 Alta's delivered to customers.  The same guy has the other one and its a SM.

According to one of the founders, the Alta is much more serious about racing and its suspension will yield faster lap times despite the specs that look the same.

The Alta does look very nice and racy.

The motor goes through a single speed gear box and the motor is probably 1/2 the working diameter as my Zero SR.  Tiny!

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »

0 to 100 km/h do you know?

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »

The FX is a second bike for me (and many others), since it can't replace the gas bike for long off-road rides.

Even if the Alta is better, which looks like safe assumption, I would struggle to pay $15K for a second bike, when I could get an FX for $10K.  Both are expensive, but I'm not sure the Alta offers that much more unless your performance needs perfectly align with the Alta and you have plenty of disposable income.
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive
Pages: [1]