• May 07, 2024, 06:20:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2010 DS Range (Miles)  (Read 1050 times)

DeanRHolden

• View Profile
2010 DS Range (Miles)
« on: May 07, 2015, 10:56:30 PM »

I'm looking at a 2010 DS with a one-year-old battery in it (was replaced as a warranty thing)
I took it for a 15 mile ride and it said it had over 1/2 left.
What can I expect for a range on this bike.   From what I've read it doesn't seem to be anywhere near the 50 mile range it's rated for.  Is 30 reasonable?  or would it be more like 25 or even less?

Thanks,
Dean

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2010 DS Range (Miles)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:29:49 AM »

I saw a couple of magazine tests of the bike not long after they were introduced.  My recollection is that the magazines got about 22 miles at mostly freeway speeds and maybe about twice that at city speeds.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 03:06:27 AM »

When I had my 2010 DS I figured on 25 to 30 miles riding at 35 to 40 mph.

Trikester

DeanRHolden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:22:01 PM »

Thanks.  So I guess that's about what I was figuring.  A little disappointing when rated at 50 miles.  I suppose that's on a flat track with no wind, and not stop & go.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:50:44 PM »

I suppose that's on a flat track with no wind, and not stop & go.

For someone who had driven ICE vehicles all my life, it took me a little while to get a handle on the range factors an EV has...they're a little different than an ICE vehicle. For starters, hard acceleration has little to no effect on the range you'll get -- hard to believe, but pretty much true. Of course accelerating harder draws more current from the battery, but you get up to speed quicker so you're not accelerating as long. On an EV, efficiency stays pretty high even under hard acceleration, so it's almost a wash, whereas on an ICE vehicle, accelerating hard reduces the motor's efficiency and can flush fuel down the drain pretty quickly.

Starting and stopping also isn't as much of a major factor as you might think. Of course lots of starting and stopping does have an effect, but because you spend more time going slower under circumstances like that, it really doesn't drop your range that much.

That's because the overwhelmingly dominant thing that will reduce your range is speed. Under pretty much all circumstances, the slower you go, the more range you'll have. EVs ALWAYS do better on the EPA city mileage loop than on the highway loop, just because the speeds are lower. Of all the things that eat your battery's charge, wind drag is by far the biggest factor, and anything you can do to reduce that effect will increase your range. Since wind drag goes up as the cube of road speed, slowing down will have a huge impact on your range.

It's interesting to note that all vehicles experience the same effect -- slowing down in your Dodge will always reduce the losses due to wind drag as well. The fact that most vehicles get better mileage on the freeway than around town is really an indictment of their lousy performance around town. An ICE vehicle's efficiency is really hideous under that usage model.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:44:47 PM »

I get a lot more mileage on my FX when dirt riding (hard pack) than road riding just because of the lower speeds on rough dirt and tight turns. I can get up to 80 miles on the 2013 FX o hard packed dirt as opposed to 50 miles at 45 mph on pavement. My dirt average speeds are usually in the range of 10 mph to 18 mph.

Trikester

ihartc4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 06:12:08 AM »

Most of my riding is around 35-45 and I have gotten 30 with a couple of bars left.  And that's with knobby's.

DeanRHolden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »

Thanks for all the imput everyone!

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 05:00:55 PM »

Thanks.  So I guess that's about what I was figuring.  A little disappointing when rated at 50 miles.  I suppose that's on a flat track with no wind, and not stop & go.

The 50 mile "max" range was at 20 mph constant speed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101112234127/http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/range
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]