• May 05, 2024, 08:25:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to check your drive belt tension  (Read 1496 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
How to check your drive belt tension
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:21:11 AM »

I've created a short video:

It's very much at the amateur end of the spectrum, but I hope it helps a few people.

The tension should be 20-30kg.

This is the device:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gates-7401-00071-Krikit-I-Gauge/dp/B000MUTAGS

There's also an app, which I haven't tried yet:
Carbon Drive Bicycle Calculator by Gates Corporation
https://appsto.re/gb/2lkiA.i

I'm not certain this is the correct one, but I'll endeavor to give it a go and report back.

Your Zero dealer can supply you with the Krikit. I paid a little under £20 for mine but you may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

I'd like to see Zero supply one of these with each bike as I have a feeling that many people may not get round to buying one themselves.

It's very important that the sprockets are aligned perfectly. I had a belt break on me recently and I/we suspect misalignment was the cause. I managed to recover the belt and send it back to my dealer who will send it on to Zero for analysis. If I get any feedback, I'll let you know.

Also, try and avoid getting debris, like sticks and small stones caught between the belt and the sprocket. This can cause over-tension and may cause problems. That might have been a factor in my case, but it's hard to say as the belt failed many days after I took the bike off-road.  I also cleared the debris before riding any distance.

grmarks

• View Profile
Re: How to check your drive belt tension
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 03:28:48 PM »

I think you need to check the belt tension from underneath the swing arm (pushing up on the tool).

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »

When I checked my belt tension as it came from the factory, I got 55kg on the gauge.  While the belt seemed very tight I have left it alone and just check it with my finger now and then.  After 8K miles it still seems tight, but is showing no wear and still drives the rear wheel. My rear tire looks to have another thousand miles left on the tread, so I will readjust the belt tension when I change out the tire.  I might add that I don't trust those cheap belt tension gauges all that much. Plus, getting the gauge into position on my 2014 S is not all that easy. Checking it by pushing up from the bottom of the belt sounds like a good idea.  I will have to give that a try.

I just checked my belt tension again and it still reads 55kg.  I think it might be time to buy a new gauge.   ???
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:45:05 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 01:17:48 AM »

From my experience riding Buells, belts don't wear like chains.  As they get older they'll actually get TIGHTER, not looser like a chain.  When a chain ages, the little bearing points between the links and rollers wear causing the chain to hang looser.

When a belt ages, the rubber on the "teeth" side begins to swell.  Since the Kevlar belt on the outer circumference won't stretch, the inner circumference will shrink making the belt tighter around the sprockets. Generally, you want to make sure the belt hasn't gotten any tighter since you brought it home.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »

Mine was very tight from the dealer.  I loosened it to spec.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:35:16 AM »

I used the "Gates Carbon Drive" Android App to measure the tension based on frequency when you pluck it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gates.carbondrivecalculator&hl=en

I recommend getting the gauge for anyone who doesn't play stringed instruments well. (So I'll get mine sometime)
Pages: [1]