Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2012 and older

Anyone with 8-12 year old Zero and uses it daily? (in 2022)

<< < (2/3) > >>

TheRan:

--- Quote from: Richard230 on October 08, 2022, 07:37:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: T.S. Zarathustra on October 08, 2022, 05:21:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Richard230 on October 08, 2022, 06:06:29 AM ---Don't forget that the entire the 2012 S and DS production was recalled by Zero in 2018 due to the possibility of catching fire when being recharged. That was why I gave my daughter my 2014 model when her 2012 S was recalled and bought back by Zero.

--- End quote ---

Lot of bikes of that age, that come for sale here, mention having an updated (bigger) battery as some sort of special upgrade offer from Zero.

--- End quote ---

I don't believe that is the case for the 2012 models. They were all recalled for safety reasons and Zero would never continue to support them. No doubt a few escaped the crusher, but if so I haven't heard of any.

--- End quote ---
What was it that caused them to be recalled? Battery? Charger? Seems a bit overkill to just destroy a year's worth of bikes instead of replacing the component.

Moto7575:
2011 or 2012 models were not recalled in Europe at least - you can still see a couple of them on the market

Richard230:

--- Quote from: TheRan on October 08, 2022, 08:37:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: Richard230 on October 08, 2022, 07:37:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: T.S. Zarathustra on October 08, 2022, 05:21:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Richard230 on October 08, 2022, 06:06:29 AM ---Don't forget that the entire the 2012 S and DS production was recalled by Zero in 2018 due to the possibility of catching fire when being recharged. That was why I gave my daughter my 2014 model when her 2012 S was recalled and bought back by Zero.

--- End quote ---

Lot of bikes of that age, that come for sale here, mention having an updated (bigger) battery as some sort of special upgrade offer from Zero.

--- End quote ---

I don't believe that is the case for the 2012 models. They were all recalled for safety reasons and Zero would never continue to support them. No doubt a few escaped the crusher, but if so I haven't heard of any.

--- End quote ---
What was it that caused them to be recalled? Battery? Charger? Seems a bit overkill to just destroy a year's worth of bikes instead of replacing the component.

--- End quote ---

Several 2012 bikes caught fire while charging in Hong Kong and in the UK, as I recall. Zero got real nervous and I guess was worried about the bikes catching fire while being charged in someone's garage while the family was asleep.  Zero blamed defective EIG battery packs, while EIG pointed the finger at Zero for either the design or the assembly of the battery packs. I never heard who ended up paying for the recall. (My daughter's bike was picked up by Zero at her home and they gave her a $6,300 check for her 2012 ZF9 in May 2018.) It was an official government recall: NHTSA Recall No. 18V215. The bikes recalled were the Zero S, DS & DSP models built between October 11, 2011 and August 24, 2012. Zero said that there was a design defect in the cell pouches and cell holders, which could result in an electrical short causing a fire.

To my knowledge there was no safety problem with the 2010 or 2011 model year bikes. They used a different type of battery and motor and just about everything else.

BTW, I bought the 2012 Zero S ZF9 for $14K and it had 8,300 miles on the clock when Zero bought it back from my daughter. (I gave her that bike when I bought my 2014 S, which I gave to her after the 2012 model was picked up by Zero and then I bought my current 2018 S.)

T.S. Zarathustra:
Here are some comments from Reddit owners:
2016 DSR. "I drive the bike daily for commute, about 100km/day and have it since sept 2016. Real range is about 110-130 km @ 100km/h and a lot more going slower. Didn't lose a mentionable amount of charge in all the years of ownership, maybe 2% or something. Odo is at 60.000km's now."

"I have a 2016 SR. Bought it 2 years ago with 27k miles and it’s at 32k now. The onboard charger died a few months ago. The previous owner didn’t mention getting a new charger so I presume it was the original.

Also, It will act up if left out when it’s really rainy for several days. Will refuse to start until it dries out which can take a couple of days. So based on my experience use a cover if it rains alot (unless you have covered parking) and budget for a possible charger replacement. Other than that it’s been a great bike. Battery is maybe 80% capacity compared to new? Hard to tell. I get about 60miles of range with mixed highway/city riding and I ride it hard."

"I had a 2015 S that had the controller fail the day after delivery and then the next year the charger died."

"I have a 2014 SR with 5,000+ miles and the bike is still going strong with the exception of a failing onboard 110v charger. It was purchased for $6K USD with an additional external charger and luggage included."

DSR BlackForest. "Motor: no moving parts other than the axis; good for a million km at least.
Battery: mine (DSR 14.4) is from 2018 with 26000 km and still no discernible drop in range.
Controllers: i can’t say, but from what I understand they are also relatively generic, so there’s a good chance of fixing or finding replacements.
DC/DC converter: this one is special. It will probably fail sooner or later, because Zero decided to use one that is not made for input voltages their battery supplies, but is replaceable with a better one for a few 100€ (cheaper than the OEM)
Charger(s): I cannot say. Mine are both fine and there is a relatively large after market offering."

Richard230:
It certainly sounds like the OBC is the most likely component to fail on jut about every Gen 2 Zero.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version