• May 17, 2024, 05:05:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Does a motorbike get you in the zone and help you keep fit?  (Read 507 times)

totalnewbie

• View Profile
Does a motorbike get you in the zone and help you keep fit?
« on: April 24, 2021, 10:45:48 PM »

Hey guys
looking at zero bikes and have a couple of (maybe) strange requirements I am looking to meet. What are your thoughts?
1. Used to be a snowboarder and windsurfer, love getting into 'the zone' or 'the flow' or whatever you want to call it when you get that rhythm going on and you are totally in the moment. Both my knees are pretty screwed so can't do anything on a board again. Hoping a zero bike and moments of torque excitement or silent riding in the forest will give me something like this. Realistic?
2. Getting a bit middle aged and due to said knee injuries, a bit on the overweight side. Haven't really ridden motorbikes before (only cycles and scooter/mopeds and of course cars) so I don't know if it provides any kind of workout? More than a walk? More than driving a car? I would like to get that kind of relaxed tired you get out of exercise, not that kind of stressed tired you get after driving a car a long way. Will i get this?
Thanks in anticipation for your opinions.

lunarxs

• View Profile
Re: Does a motorbike get you in the zone and help you keep fit?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 12:31:22 AM »

Swimming would be good exercise, that's easy on the knees.
Off-Road Riding might be hard on "bad" knees, when you lift off the seat, for bumps.
Road/Canyon/Track Riding is good mental exercise if you're seeking an adrenaline fix.
21 SR/S, 20 Ninja 650

Eicas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 12:49:33 AM »

Bike riding has provided me with some medical benefits.  Have suffered from a lower back problem for some 35 plus years and find that an hour or so riding helps to reduce the discomfort, sometimes substantially.  It takes the place of a chiropractor. 

Also notice that my arm, chest and stomach muscles feel warmed up after a ride.  This all presupposes that the bike fits you ergonomically, some configurations like a cruiser bike would have makes it worse for me.

Finally, after an hours ride I just feel better mentally.  I am much more relaxed, mellow etc., it may even be dropping my blood pressure a bit?

I am not an aggressive rider, just enjoy the flow of the ride and the scenery, been riding since the mid 1960's.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 01:17:31 AM »

The more curves, the more arms and butt motion, but it isn't an aerobic activity exactly.  Lotsa tubby riders! (weight seems to help control)

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 01:26:12 AM »

All day motorcycle rides are like an all-day mediation retreat for me. Definitely feel both detached from my everyday worries but also very connected to the scenery and nature. I am a snowboarder and former surfer/skater.

I do track days but the best comparison to what I feel snowboarding would be nice smooth windy roads in nature. The fact is most the noise riding a Zero or an ICE bike comes from the wind, not the engine. I also have a Ninja 400 and that bike will ride circles around my Zero on a windy road.

But I have been repeatedly disappointed at my FitBit readings after riding all day, haha! It will raise your heart rate more than sitting in front of a computer, but below even casual walking. With a resting heart rate of 60, my last ride averaged a HR of about 80, with a high of 103. Walking, for example, will raise my heart rate to 100-110 consistently. But FitBit is reporting over 1 hour in my "Fat Burning" zone so that is something!

But unless you live with great scenery nearby (in the range of an electric bike), and you have the time to ride more than an hour, maybe what you want is an ICE bike?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 07:25:38 AM »

There isn't anything to sneeze at doing errands on a bike, though.  You'll be carrying and lifting more weight (your gear) than in a car, so there's that.

Little things like that can add up.  Like choosing to take the stairs.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 12:14:36 PM »

1. An electric motorcycle is awesome for being in "the zone", if you can find nice twisty back roads through the forest or coast or along mountain ridges.

2. From least to most exercise on a motorcycle: Touring -> Sport Riding -> Race Track -> Dirt Bike -> Motocross. The latter rates as one of the most physically demanding sports there is. However, motorcycling just for exercise makes no sense at all. It's not convenient, safe, easy on the joints nor well-rounded.

I second the idea to swim. Pool laps are so good on the joints and good for flexibility. If I swim for 1/2 hour, I get an even full-body workout in shorter time than any other exercise. I know I've done something, because I instantly zonk out that night.

After that, bicycling is good, but time consuming. I've been riding 60-70 miles every 2-3 days. I took that up in place of running 10 miles because my knee started aching, having had meniscus surgery in 2016. Bicycling has not been a problem.

totalnewbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 01:30:33 PM »

Thanks for the great answers.
I had more than 80% of each lateral meniscus removed some time ago and for some reason cycling doesn't work for me either; the knees really swell up if I try. Swimming is good but I do get a bit bored doing laps.
It's interesting you mention motorcycles aren't safe which is obviously true. However having three young kids I was hoping that if I go mainly on all the forest trails right next to our house and not too fast, I can greatly minimise the chances of putting myself in hospital or worse. I hope that's realistic!
By the way, for forest trails that are gravel and occasional mud/ flat rock, do you think an fxs or ds would need to be changed to a chain or is it fine with the belt it comes with (2021 models)?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 03:39:59 PM »

Belt is fine with organics, it's actual stones you have to worry about.

A DS is significantly heavier than an FX.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 04:20:37 PM »

If it's a 7.2 it's only about 13kg heavier

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 01:55:55 AM »

Thanks for the great answers.
I had more than 80% of each lateral meniscus removed some time ago and for some reason cycling doesn't work for me either; the knees really swell up if I try. Swimming is good but I do get a bit bored doing laps.
It's interesting you mention motorcycles aren't safe which is obviously true. However having three young kids I was hoping that if I go mainly on all the forest trails right next to our house and not too fast, I can greatly minimise the chances of putting myself in hospital or worse. I hope that's realistic!
By the way, for forest trails that are gravel and occasional mud/ flat rock, do you think an fxs or ds would need to be changed to a chain or is it fine with the belt it comes with (2021 models)?

Depending on how serious your knee issues are, motorcycling might not be indicated.

Every time you get on or off a motorcycle, or just stop at a traffic light, or to view the scenery, you're going to be balancing the weight of the bike+rider+gear -- ~300kg or more, for larger bikes-- on one foot as well as the two wheels.
Now this is mostly only for 10-30 seconds at a time, until you get the bike on its sidestand or ride off ride off, but it's definitely felt.
Every time I got back from a skiing vacation (could only ski 2-3 times a year, given where I live, so was not in good skiing condition on an ongoing basis),  I could definitely feel it when getting on the bike during the next week.

Experiment with someone else's bike first to see what it feels like.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 01:57:45 AM by wavelet »

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 09:56:58 PM »

I’m a new motorcycle owner in my fifties. I can definitely say the torque is an amazing feeling and there is nothing like blasting down the road. You get the zen moments for sure.

As far as exercise , not so much. An electric bicycle would be perfect for that. You can peddle as much or as little as you want. I have one of those also and I love it b

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 10:17:09 PM »

Late to the party but I've been riding to meditate for years. It works wonders for mental health and general wellbeing.
Exercise wise, though it doesn't look like much, after a few hours riding I am knackered. I occasionally do 300 mile days (not with the Zero yet) and I usually arrive shattered and starving. So it is in fact using a lot more energy than you realise. Your core muscles get a proper workout, and I seem to recall reading it uses about as much energy as taking the dog for one of its usually enthusiastic scampers.

Cas :)

Kappi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 02:09:27 PM »

It helps me keep "that idiotic happy grin" plastered to my face, but fit I doubt it.
However, on my ICE bike, I could definitely tell an increase in muscle mass in the neck area in seasons that contained a lot of long-distance high speed riding at 120+ mph.
1992 Yamaha FZR 1000
1996 Honda CB "Two Fiffty"
2017 Zero SR 13.0 (14.4)
Pages: [1]