Makes And Models > KTM Electric Forum

I bought the new US KTM FreeRide E; charging issue resolved!

<< < (2/4) > >>

rayivers:
Sorry to hear about these problems.  I'm sure KTM will get them sorted out quickly, but that's not much help to you right now.

240VAC line derivations are quite different in the USA and Europe.  The shop charger connection worked OK because it used 'floating' Euro-type AC from two supply phases, but the new 240 outlet in your house is supplying the standard USA center-tapped 240VAC which the KTM Euro-spec charger diagnostics won't like at all.  A properly-sized 240VAC line isolation transformer between the new outlet & charger input should fix this problem.

Ray

odedmaz:
For me the major deal breaker is the fact that the bike is not street legal. These machines can not be used for the occasional trip to the grocery, or on road sections between riding areas.

The brakes and suspension can be setup for your dimensions. These are high quality components.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Marshm:
I lower and soften pretty much every dirt bike I buy, so the suspension sounds like a real positive to me. 
Sounds like rayivers might know something about the charging issue, with a solution. 
I am curious what KTM intended the bike to use to charge.  Maybe KTM required the 3 phase method, that's why the shop was doing that and it worked.  So you tried to charge it differently and it didn't work.  I guess that's not exactly KTM's fault, although 3 phase is not very practical to be available in housing areas, so if that was KTM's intent they made a really stupid decision there.  They should have had the charging issue all figured out.  I am surprised KTM would make such a massive oversight.  Lets do the analysis to determine if the bikes will be popular in the USA, well I guess not too popular if people cannot charge them. 
The dealer failed in their Electric motorcycle training if they sent you home with a charging plan that they did not test to make sure it actually worked.  I sort of expect crappy service from dealers though, that's the standard I have experienced.  So the dealer being stupid doesn't surprise me as much. 
For the street legal issue, wouldn't it need to have all that typical dual sport stuff installed?  If it doesn't, then its not street legal.  Brake light, horn, high and low beam headlight (maybe requirement for a low beam that cannot be turned off by rider), mirrors (I think are not requirement but are usually installed) DOT tires, emissions, and whatever else I forgot.  I wish they sold a street legal version for sure.  If your state allows a conversion, I guess people can add that stuff.  I don't see a headlight though, so might have to be creative to get a 12V DC voltage source for a light.
Anyway, I have compassion for you.  That charging issue should not have happened, and was easily avoidable.  Looking on the bright side, the charging issue is not really how the bike runs and handles.  So once you get a batter charger that actually works, you might really like the bike.  It looks awesome, in the future try not to get it wet or dirty, just ride it around in your living room. 
Hey, it has a reflector on the fork.  That seems very odd for a dirt bike. 

Adventure:
Thanks for everyone's replies and sharing ideas!!!

So the issue has been resolved with my charging woes. 

Turns out the diagnostic tool plug broke off a shard of plastic deep inside the battery charging port.  My FreeRide-E was checked out before I left the dealer and wasn't connected again until I made my trip home.  This kept the contacts from touching by mere millimeters.  Easy fix.

I have a new rear spring on order so I'm not bottoming out this suspension.
YouTube videos are being edited today.  Check out my channel soon:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOPL47sBytLukv8ZNrZQ7Rw

Ireek:
Whew, this is good news, ride on:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version