• May 07, 2024, 01:44:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cross wheels FXS ?  (Read 663 times)

SnakeeH

• View Profile
Cross wheels FXS ?
« on: March 10, 2020, 02:59:09 AM »

Hello,
I have a 2017 FXS, and I would like to obtain a second set of wheels for motocross. Therefore, I need to replace the original alloy wheels by spoked wheels. Have you already done that? Any advice or reference I could use please? My point is to be able to change easily from one set to the other since this is also a bike I'm using for everyday commutation. Thanks!

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Cross wheels FXS ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 03:53:34 AM »

You can get the FX wheels from AF1 for $350 each, then on top of that you've got the cost of tyres, brake rotors, and the rear sprocket.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=3262&description=2018+Zero+Motorcycle+Spare+Parts+Catalogs

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 04:53:30 AM »

You don't want to use a FX or FXS for motocross without changing the suspension. Neither one has enough travel stock.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 05:56:45 AM »

You can’t put FX wheels on FXS forks and vice versa. The brake rotors are different sizes (240mm FX and 320mm FXS) The rotors are different designs and not interchangeable.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 06:13:54 AM »

Surely you could get a larger rotor for the FX wheel, looks like it uses something closer to a more standard mount.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 07:12:54 AM »

The closest thing I found was an older ‘07? Kawasaki KX 450? I can’t remember but the center hole was close but needed a few mms machined to open it up and the mounting holes drilled. You could have one custom made.

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 07:52:52 AM »

You could get the FX forks and swap those in along with the wheels, or have a 320mm rotor machined for the FX rims.

I actually did the opposite, and put FXS wheels on my FX by designing and machining a 240mm - 320mm caliper relocation bracket. The axles are the same between both models.

SnakeeH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 04:13:58 AM »

Thank you very much for your help.
I contacted AF1 Racing according to whom I cannot put FX wheels on FXS, or it will be very difficult.
Could you think about a simpler solution than having to change the fork or designing tailor-made pieces?
Cheers

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 04:23:27 AM »

Another option I can think of, and that AF1 has available, are the spoked wheels from a 2014 DS. The front looks to have a similarly sized rotor and perhaps a standard mount. However they're 17" and 19" instead of 18" and 21" (on the plus side the speedo will be closer to being correct, the seat will be lower, and you're less likely to run into clearance issues), I have no idea if they'll actually fit, and I don't know if they have the same sprocket mount.

I'm wondering if it would just be a better idea to get some custom wheels laced up, surely someone makes hubs that would fit. You'd just have to get the chain conversion kit as well, but that's a good idea for riding off road anyway.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »

2014 models do not have ABS so you will have to eliminate the sensor ring and possibly make custom spacers.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 03:26:09 AM »

That's a good point, although not as big an issue for riding off road and would save having to deactivate ABS every time.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 06:43:26 AM »

If you want to ride offroad, do stoppies, or hit rough stuff fast and still be able to stop on a newer bike you can disable the ABS permanently without consequences by pulling the special 25 amp fuse in its own holder under the seat. In other words the FX / FXS should not have come with ABS.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 08:13:21 AM »

Sounds to me like ABS would really help the supermoto maneuvers and there's a disagreement about whether it hurts offroad performance.  It couldn't be sold in Europe without ABS.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]