• May 07, 2024, 11:53:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Discuss the Zero SR  (Read 6114 times)

GNU

• View Profile
Re: Discuss the Zero SR
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 04:41:20 AM »

I've pre-ordered an SR and also asked that they put the heated seat and the heated grips on it.
What other factory accessories do you recommend? (it's going to be used for commuting and pleasure around Seattle, WA)
2014 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 05:22:34 AM »

I've pre-ordered an SR and also asked that they put the heated seat and the heated grips on it.
What other factory accessories do you recommend? (it's going to be used for commuting and pleasure around Seattle, WA)

I'm using the Commuter windscreen and the Givi top and sidecases on my 2013 DS. I like them all (especially in Seattle where rain protection goes a long way). I would say that the top case and the windscreen are the most useful.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 05:52:15 AM »

+1 for the windscreen. It makes a huge difference and my cruising speed is a lot lower than you guys, so you should find it even more helpful.

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 06:31:17 AM »

GNU,

I am sorry to say that the Heated Grips by Keis are not currently compatible with the MY2014 motorcycles.  We are working to find a solution. 

I am also working to find better ways to communicate compatibility of our accessories now that the list is growing.  More of this information will be going out to our dealers next week prior to IMS in Long Beach.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 03:34:47 AM »

Hi Aaron, why isn't the 2013 heat grips incompatible with 2014 models ? I've put some Oxford heated grips on my 2013 DS  but it was not a straight fit. I had to work a little to make them compatible. And so that's not good for d
Laurent

GNU

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »

Hi Aaron,
Thanks for the heads up. The dealership (CycleBarn, Lynwood, WA) said that they needed to install a "splitter" to make it work. Is that what you mean by it's not compatible? Or is there a limitation in 12V power output or similar that's a limitation?

The heated grips and seat are must have options on commuter bikes up here.

//Arvid

PS. Please tell Mike Cunningham to fix his spam filters.
2014 Zero SR

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 12:04:04 AM »

Hi Guys,

The 2014 motorcycles have a new switch gear mechanism on the right handlebar, which is pinned.  Before 2014, the current Heated Grips by Keis could be used by sliding the throttle in so that your own bar ends or the hand guards could be attached to fill the hole that is left on the ends of the grips.  Unpinning the new switch gear mechanism on the 2014's is a bad idea.  Trimming the current solution (as is possible with some models from Oxford) is under review by Keis, but may not be an acceptable solution either. 

So I am looking for an acceptable solution to fit our 111mm throttle right now and spent all of EICMA wandering from booth to booth.  Oxford's may work, but I don't have a supplier relationship with them and have seen some reports that their solution turns off automatically on our motorcycles.

Trust me.  I am working on it especially as it hits freezing this week in the SF Bay Area.  My daily commute would be terrible without them on my 2013 Zero DS.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 03:55:59 AM »

So I am looking for an acceptable solution to fit our 111mm throttle right now and spent all of EICMA wandering from booth to booth.  Oxford's may work, but I don't have a supplier relationship with them and have seen some reports that their solution turns off automatically on our motorcycles.

They definitely do Aaron. It is driving me crazy, I have to turn them off and on again every 3 minutes. Apparently they detect ignition noise so I might build a simple circuit to generate noise but it could interfere with the bike. The grips also don't fit on the bars, I don't know why Zero don't just mount the switchgear further inboard so that standard grips can be used?

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »

Why not use electric gloves? They warm the inside AND outside of your hands, and they can be taken from bike to bike. Way superior to heated grips.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »

Why not use electric gloves? They warm the inside AND outside of your hands, and they can be taken from bike to bike. Way superior to heated grips.

As someone who has a pair of electric gloves and two motorcycles with heated grips, I agree.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »

I do alot of short trips and it never gets VERY cold, so I don't want to be faffing about with either plugging into the bike or charging my gloves at night.  I have enough electronic gadgetry at home to find sockets for and it already takes me too long to put all my bike clothing on without having wires to worry about.

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »

I do alot of short trips and it never gets VERY cold, so I don't want to be faffing about with either plugging into the bike or charging my gloves at night.  I have enough electronic gadgetry at home to find sockets for and it already takes me too long to put all my bike clothing on without having wires to worry about.

My gloves plug in to the bike. It's an extra second or two. My trips are all a minimum of ten minutes (usually much more) and the extra couple of seconds is worth it. Actually, the gloves plug into a jacket liner which plugs into the bike. Still just a couple of extra seconds.

I'm good to about 20' with that setup.

Full disclosure - I haven't used that setup on the Zero.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »

They definitely do Aaron. It is driving me crazy, I have to turn them off and on again every 3 minutes. Apparently they detect ignition noise so I might build a simple circuit to generate noise but it could interfere with the bike. The grips also don't fit on the bars, I don't know why Zero don't just mount the switchgear further inboard so that standard grips can be used?

Funny things, it doesn't happen to me. My Oxford are the HOTGRIP Sport but the new 2013 version:http://www.ebay.fr/itm/OXFORD-HOT-GRIPS-HEATED-SPORTS-HOTGRIPS-MOTORBIKE-696-/220561887117
They will cut off only if the battery voltage is lower than a certain value. I've been using them for two months without any unwanted turn off. May be due to the 2013 model, have a look on the ebay link, the control panel is all new.

Laurent, trying not to freeze this winter !!!

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2013, 01:52:40 AM »

Doh! What an idiot, serves me right for not reading the manual properly.

Its the same controller and it says "the battery saving feature [will turn off]...after 2 minutes without detecting electrical noise.   BUT it then goes on to say BSM mode can be disabled by turning the grips on and holding down both buttons for 5 seconds.  I really wish I re-read the manual sooner.  It says it remembers this state indefinitely so your grips must have had BSM disabled from the start?

All I have to do now is find a way to plug the holes in the end of the bars.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »

Doh! What an idiot, serves me right for not reading the manual properly.
You know what ? I'm an idiot to !!! I didn't read the damn manual either,  just the part to cut the grip at the good place !!! It's the fourth Oxford grip I have, but the first on an electric bike for sure. So if my heatgrips work well that must be because they had the good configuration done at the factory, I was lucky !!!
Now for the bar ends I tried simple plug without sucess and then I tried to glue the ODI bar ends depicted on the pictures with polyurethane glue. One side have the plug (and no glue), the throttle side don't or it won't turn anymore. And as I didn't move the controls my handlebar is a little wider (very little) now. These bar ends are for mountain bikes.
But indeed that's DIY and can't be done at a large scale by dealers or Zero factory
Hope it helps
Laurent
PS: I've tried to find my bar end plugs on the net without luck but I think they are old models. They need to go OVER the grip to be glued on the throttle side.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:04:01 PM by Le Z Turbo »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4