• May 04, 2024, 02:24:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Second public charging experience... went extremely well  (Read 321 times)

princec

• View Profile
Second public charging experience... went extremely well
« on: June 02, 2021, 03:26:54 AM »

Pod-point again, but a much simpler device, with no CCS or Chademo sticking out of it too. This time it did, in fact, Just Work. I put in 3KWh in 30 minutes, charging at 51 amps or so / 5.8KW from the 22KW socket, and it cost me about 90p (I'd done about 30 miles). So public charging comes at as 3p/mile, which is still ludicrously cheap compared to petrol which was about 18p/mile. So I'm back to being pleased.

It looks like the posh device down in Portland was just broken. They could have easily avoided the situation if they'd tethered the line because I'm now pretty sure the problem was the device end not locking, not the bike. I'm not entirely sure of the rationale for not tethering the 22KW lines (when the CCS and Chademo both had lines).

Of course now I'm thinking hmm I wish I had one of those charge tank things because a 15 minute crossword break would have been 15 minutes less boring.

BUT...

then there'd be nowhere to stash the rather massive cable. Hmm.

Cas :)

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: Second public charging experience... went extremely well
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 05:10:24 AM »

Sounds like you need a charge tank and a top box  :D Glad you got it figured out!

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 05:13:01 AM »

Glad it worked for you.

I often spend most of my time at chargers charting out the next leg of my trip bouncing between plugshare, ABRP, google maps, etc. Sure would be nice to have all that info and capability in a single app.

But maybe I should pack a comfy camp chair and a crossword puzzle. Sounds much more relaxing.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 09:07:22 AM »

Glad it worked for you.

I often spend most of my time at chargers charting out the next leg of my trip bouncing between plugshare, ABRP, google maps, etc. Sure would be nice to have all that info and capability in a single app.

But maybe I should pack a comfy camp chair and a crossword puzzle. Sounds much more relaxing.
I make a directories  in my GPS named "CCSCharge" and another "AC charge". I add in all the charge stations in any area that I am somewhat likely to go. So my routes are from one charge station to the next until I get where I am going. Sometimes, just to check ort a new charge station to give me an excuse for a ride.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X