• May 06, 2024, 08:28:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dashboard Amp display on SR/F while charging  (Read 327 times)

NoRid

• View Profile
Dashboard Amp display on SR/F while charging
« on: April 11, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »

Dear All,
I bought a new SR/F Premium back in January and follow this forum for quite a while. Just registered to start my first post  :)

I am living in Europe (Austria) and charge my bike at home at a normal Schuko outlet. For charging, I use a NrgKick cable and limit the current at the cable box to 10A. Since we are running on 230V, this should give me a maximum Power of 2,3kW.
Now, when I look at the dashboard of the SR/F during charge, I can see a Power of 2kW (which is OK), but the current shows 20A.
I don't think that I really get the 20A out of this one phase, since the NrgKick is limiting the current. How does this look on your dashboard during charge - especially in regions where you also run on 230V?

Thanks and I am sure more questions will come soon....
Best, NoRid
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:53:27 PM by NoRid »

remmie

• View Profile
Re: Dashboard Amp display on SR/F while carging
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »

Congratz on the bike, I have one of those (august 2019) and love it!!

The amps on the display are the DC amps going into the battery  8) The DC battery voltage is roughly between 97 volts (empty) to 116 volt (full). So while your primary AC current is 10A (with a voltage of 230 Volt = 2.3 kW AC), there are some losses in the charger which will yield the displayed 2.0 kW (DC) into the battery.

2.0 kw at say 100 volt (near empty) equals to 2000/100 =20 A DC into the battery
2.0 kw at say 115 volt (almost full) equals to 2000/115 = 17 A DC into the battery

so you will see your amps on the display drop a little while the SOC rises. That is perfectly normal.

I'm charging at home with the full power which is about 13A at 230 Volt (Netherlands) and the amps into the battery are around 28-29 Amps
the power drawn from the wall is then 3.1 kW and the displayed value on the display is 2.8 - 2.9 kW
:)

P.S. Austria is a great country for an electric motorcycle, we were there last year with my 2018 SR and was planning on returning on my SR/F this year but guess that will not be happening this year :(
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:34:05 AM »

P.S. Austria is a great country for an electric motorcycle, we were there last year with my 2018 SR and was planning on returning on my SR/F this year but guess that will not be happening this year :(

From The Netherlands to Austria : doesn't that involve lots and lots of planning ahead, even with your (10 kW ?) setup  ?
Did you take some highways, or only local roads ?

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:12:18 AM »

From The Netherlands to Austria : doesn't that involve lots and lots of planning ahead, even with your (10 kW ?) setup  ?
Did you take some highways, or only local roads ?

only the first 100 km were highway (just to get a fast as we could to Germany). after that all local roads through Germany to Austria and back. 3712 km in 13 days.
between 250 and 350 km every day, 6-8 hours of driving time, mostly charging 2 times a day during the ride. Staying at hotels which we booked at the afternoon charge (triage/booking.com). Most hotels didn't mind at all if we charged at a socket overnight. I just used the onboard charger (1.3 kW) for that. We usually left a tip of about 5 euro for the 2 euro worth of electrical power.

We rode 2 up with all the gear, clothes etc.   8) in a backpack and a luggage roll.
We had several great roads and mountain passes (Bodensee, German alpine road, grossglockner, weissensee, nockalm strasse etc) charging at the heiligenblutt station at the top of the grossglockner was awesome, by the time we reached the valley 35 km later we had a range of 355 km left LOL  ;D

Surprisingly not a lot of planning was necessary. For the first 3 days I did make a route at home to the Bodensee but after that it was in the evenings that I made a route (myrouteapp) to either a nice mountain pass or a certain point on the map. Usually about 450 km away so the route would be longer than we could achieve.
That way I wouldn't have to make a route during the day.  It was just making sure there was a charger around when reaching 150 km and 300 km into the route. there is quite an abundance of chargers in Germany and Austria (and off course in The Netherlands as well) so that was not too difficult. There were some "blind spots" like in the middle of the black forrest but fortunately we planned correctly ;)

It was an absolute joy to do. Almost all chargers in Germany and Austria were 22 kW so we could take full advantage of the available charging power. The 12kW eltek flatpack charger case I made helped a lot. getting a full charge between 45-60 minutes meant we could just ride until 15-30% SOC was reached, go to a charger and 45 min later we went on our way for the next 150 km.

I now have the 6kW additional rapid charger on my premium SR/F so also 12 kW of charging.
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 02:13:12 PM »

What a fantastic trip.
Impossible to do with a 3 kW loader ...  ;D

NoRid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 03:59:42 PM »

The amps on the display are the DC amps going into the battery  8) The DC battery voltage is roughly between 97 volts (empty) to 116 volt (full). So while your primary AC current is 10A (with a voltage of 230 Volt = 2.3 kW AC), there are some losses in the charger which will yield the displayed 2.0 kW (DC) into the battery.

Thank you remmie, that makes perfect sense! The manual was not clear about that - at least not for me.

Yes it is. Actually I am living in Vienna, so I don't have these famous bike roads in front of the door and mainly drive in the city. But I like to go on vacation in this area for hiking (rather than biking) :). Who knows what will be possible this summer. But sooner or later things will relax and we can enjoy our great bikes again!
Pages: [1]