• May 04, 2024, 06:21:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My Zero SRF experience with 6.500 km since September (so far)  (Read 5544 times)

SkyYeti

• View Profile
Re: My Zero SRF experience with 6.500 km since September (so far)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2020, 03:37:18 AM »

Hi all,

Was taking my SR/F in for it's 600 mile (1000km) 'run in' service yesterday.
Roads were wet but is wasn't raining. Halfway into my 56 mile (90km) trip the CEL came on.
It then proceeded to absolutely pour down with rain for the rest of the trip. I was convinced something was going to short-circuit and I'd grind to a halt on the motorway.
However, I made it to the dealer without anything else happening.
Handed the keys over and said, 'by the way the CEL came on again as I was heading here'. I think I saw his eye twitch slightly  ;D
I went and sat in their little cafe and had breakfast. 1 hour later the mechanic came over looking rather sheepish.
'The bikes dead sir'
Same as yours Hans - SpiderBus needs replacing :(
I wasn't surprised, as deep down I think I knew I was on the same path as you.

So my bike is being transported over to Diss (Norfolk, UK) which is where there is a high-voltage trained Zero mechanic who is allowed to replace the SpiderBus.
SpiderBus is coming over from the Netherlands.
They reckon it will be about 21 days :(

A little bit disappointing.
The bike is my main means of transport but they can't give me a courtesy bike for the 21 days
They also couldn't give me a lift home so I had to cough up £96 for a taxi
They also told me that the Zero UK country manager would be calling me that afternoon (24 Feb) to discuss things - it is now a day and a half later and I've heard nothing.

Speaking to the Zero mechanic, he seemed to suggest that the Zero UK country manager knew of a design flaw in the SpiderBus with the first few shipments of SR/Fs.
If that's the case, I think they really should have recalled them and sorted it out instead of waiting for them to go pop.

I guess I was really lucky that it manifested itself as I was on my way to the dealership. In that respect it was very convenient.

-----------
On my way to work this morning (hitched a lift with a friend) we were overtaken by three scooters.
Probably only cost £500 each, it was pouring with rain, they didn't break down ;)

2022 Zero SR/F Premium

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2020, 03:57:42 PM »

Yes I've seen more and more reports of this issue. However I don't think it's an early production problem that has been resolved. Otherwise they would have fixed my bike with a new part. I don't know what they did but I still have the issue.

Eventually it took around 45 days to get fixed and when I got it finally back 3 rides later (all in light rain) the CEL came back on again. So it looks like they just replaced the part (if at all) with just the same failing part. The bike was at 6.500 km when this all happened.

Until recently it hasn't been a real problem. I saw the light come up while riding in rain many times with the 2 same errors (43 isolation fault and 31 battery ineligible) popping up. The error remains for a few rides (even when dry) and goes away after I think 3 or 4 ignition key toggles. The biggest difference this time is that I could still power it up again after shutting down and could charge with the error showing. So I just reported it to my dealer and ignored it.

That is until earlier this week. It came up and once at home it didn't charge right away when plugged in. I left it plugged in and it must have recovered over night cause in the morning it was charged. Mileage on bike is now around 8.500 km.

And today I arrived at work with the CEL on having seen the errors during the wet ride this morning. But the bike again refuses to go live (no click sound no green live icon). About an hour later I went down to the garage again to try it and it did power up and click normally. So I could probably ride it home just fine. CEL still on.

But instead I tried to charge it just out of curiosity and then it went dead again. So no charging no riding at this point. I just hope that by this evening, when I'll need it to go home it will run. I'll just not charge it, I have around 51% left which is enough to get me home.

So I don't think they replaced it with a different part. I think they just added the same spider (if anything) with the same issues. Doesn't sound like an early production error that has ben resolved by now. I have an early bike (ordered June/July, delivered August) but if it really was an early issue you would think that in those 45 days it was in their shop they would have put in a fixed part if they could.

EDIT: just went downstairs again to check and it goes live again when switched on. I'll just stay away from the charger now so that I can at least get home today. It's snowing right now. It'll be a wet ride for sure.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:07:56 PM by Hans2183 »
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2020, 05:34:35 PM »

:(( sad news. If this is a systemic issue they could have a lot of work with the release of SR/S...
Very curious how Zero will handle your case.

I have been riding my 2019 S in all weather and luckily haven’t had any issues. The inside of my bike is not particularly well sealed but a lot of grease and good “natural” water drainage goes a long way?
2019 Zero S 11kw - 2020 SR/S

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2020, 11:30:52 PM »

I have been riding my 2019 S in all weather and luckily haven’t had any issues. The inside of my bike is not particularly well sealed but a lot of grease and good “natural” water drainage goes a long way?
The SR/F is a new platform with different wiring and as far as we know these are the exception, not the rule.  Enough hydrophobic coatings and it shouldn't be an issue.

We know they've put out reliable bikes before ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 08:16:12 PM »

And the story continues. We're now 1 month later than my report back to my dealer about the CEL still showing in wet conditions.

I have just reached 9.000 km by now, the weather has been very very wet lately so I've seen the CEL almost all the time on my dashboard. Also the BMS refuses to update to firmware version 16 while the other part is already on 16 now.

I checked back since I hadn't heard from them. He is waiting for replacement parts to arrive to fix my bike. He already received the replacement tank lid so he'll put that on for me also.
--- Belgium ---

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2020, 12:24:16 AM »

Hi Hans,
Are you still having trouble with charging it after a wet ride?
I'm quite relieved to hear that although the CEL keeps coming on it seems like you're able to use it to commute each day.

-------------
My bike is still waiting for it's new Spiderbus - it has been two weeks since I left it with the dealer :(
The story for UK bikes is that there are 8 affected SR/Fs.
All of them are to be fixed by the same mechanic in Diss (Norfolk) - the UK readers of this post will work out that the bikes are all being sent to the English Electric Motor Co.
However, the catch is that the mechanic hadn't actually been trained to fit the new part so he was flown out to the Netherlands to do the training (which is due to be completed tomorrow Tuesday 10 March)
He will then let the dealers/customers know that they can send their bikes to him to be repaired - assuming he has all the parts.
-------------

2022 Zero SR/F Premium

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 04:09:03 PM »

Yes still have the issue on mine.

We've had a lot of rain here the past weeks. Yesterday was sunny for once so I turned the key 4 times before starting the ride just to reset the light  8). Didn't see the light come up all day (did just over 100 km that day).

Today it was raining again so it came back. I took the risk of taking the bike anyway even knowing I have to charge here. Luckily it wanted to charge without issues using the 220V adapter. I'm thinking now that it might be only refusing to charge with actual type2 charge stations. At home also I've been able to charge it most of the time using that 220V adapter.

My dealer informed me he's waiting for replacement parts and will attempt to fix it himself this time. Mine was in the Netherlands headquarter earlier to get it fixed. But that "fix" only lasted 3 rides.
--- Belgium ---

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 02:41:00 PM »

An update on my spiderbus replacement story:

Bike has been at dealer since 24 February.
Early last week I got an email saying the mechanic had finished his training and was fitting all UK affected SR/Fs with the new spiderbus.

My bike was completed at the end of last week. However, after some testing the mechanic noticed that my BMS was 'out of specification' and needed replacing as well :(
So they are now waiting for a new BMS to arrive from the Netherlands which will apparently arrive next week.
On the plus side they have updated my firmware to version 17 so I won't have to mess around with that when (if!) I get the bike back.

Tomorrow will be day 43 since my bike went to the dealer..

2022 Zero SR/F Premium

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 02:50:50 PM »

Tomorrow will be day 43 since my bike went to the dealer..

I hope you will get your bike soon  :-\

43 days - man that really sucks ...  :'(

I very much hope I won't run into such problems as I have a learner license which is only valid for a certain amount of time until I have to pass the test. The Covid-19-situation complicates things anyway ...
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2020, 11:01:27 PM »

My dealer has the parts but is closed due to corona. I'll drop the bike off as soon as restrictions allow them to open up again. Not allowed to ride anyway so not that it would make much difference if they were open. At least they now ordered the part up front.

Edit: I stopped riding at around 9.500 km btw. Looking forward to riding again.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:09:11 PM by Hans2183 »
--- Belgium ---

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 04:34:24 AM »

Does anybody have an idea which VIN ranges are affected by the spiderbus issue ?

I'd hate to have my bike returned (34 days and counting), only to find it to be susceptible to the spiderbus problem ...

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »

I'm not convinced yet there is already a solution like a new part. I say that because my bike was in at 6.500 km for around 45 days to (wait for parts and) replace that spider at once I got it back it failed after 3 days again.

Maybe their second attempt to fix it will have more effect.

Also the strange thing is that the first time it took me 6.500 km in all kind of weather to break down. The second time it took just below 500 km. Doesn't make sense.
--- Belgium ---

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2020, 12:50:38 AM »

At 500km I'd think the service tech did it wrong.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2020, 06:42:27 PM »

Here's a fun update on my spiderbus issue.

Today is day 69 since my SR/F went in for it's repair.

Spiderbus was replaced 3 weeks ago - :) hooray!
Following final checks by the mechanic showed that my BMS was faulty :(
So that part was ordered from Zero HQ in the Netherlands. Part arrived 10 days ago, fitted and working - :) hooray!
Mechanic then noticed that my main battery was 'out of spec' - recommended that it be replaced!  :(
Batteries are made in Germany, but are then shipped to California for some mad reason, and then shipped to the UK.
They reckon it will probably be mid-May before the battery reaches the UK.
So that's what I'm now waiting for now.... *sigh

However, I have finally been given a loan bike. Brand new SR/F to use until mine is fixed.
Arrived two days ago. It had been so long that I'd forgotten just how brilliant they are when they work.
Despite covid 19, I still have to go into work twice a week, so at least my commutes will be more enjoyable now :)

2022 Zero SR/F Premium

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2020, 09:08:33 PM »

Yay for bike again ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4