• May 04, 2024, 05:24:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to replace both tires on SRF  (Read 498 times)

gstrub

• View Profile
How to replace both tires on SRF
« on: May 30, 2022, 03:11:01 AM »

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it. I see a video of how to remove the rear wheel on Youtube, but can't find anything on the front. I don't have a way of lifting the bike yet so if I am going to buy something I want to be able to do both wheels.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

gstrub

• View Profile
Re: How to replace both tires on SRF
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 03:23:41 AM »

Thanks!

I guess I am wondering if there is a way to lift the entire bike so I can get both wheels off simultaneously. I know I am not supposed to lift a SRF from the bottom due to the electrical hardware.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 12:53:23 PM »

It's certainly possible to use a rear paddock stand and a front to lift both wheels of the ground. In fact it's more stable than just using a front stand. I've done it many times with ICE bikes. note that it's easier to loosen the wheel spindles before you raise it so you don't need to exert large forces when the bike is on a stand.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 07:45:34 PM »

It's certainly possible to use a rear paddock stand and a front to lift both wheels of the ground. In fact it's more stable than just using a front stand. I've done it many times with ICE bikes. note that it's easier to loosen the wheel spindles before you raise it so you don't need to exert large forces when the bike is on a stand.

The first time I removed the front wheel of my 2018 Zero S, I had one heck of a time loosening the axle nut as the "nut" was on the right side of the wheel, but the threads holding the axle in place were on the left side of the wheel.  ???  That meant that I had to turn the entire axle to loosen the threads and it really took a lot of force using penetrating oil and an electrical impact wrench to finally loosen the axle and be able to remove it. I hope they changed the design on the SR/F series.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 07:53:59 PM »

Is there a stand that will lift the front and the rear (sequentially not necessarily simultaneously)? I do t want to buy two stands if I don’t have to.

Also if anyone has a video or instructions on SRF front wheel removal that would be great, unless it’s the same as every other zero.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 08:29:44 PM »

I think you can get rear paddock stands with an attachment to convert them to a head lift stand. I'd just get both though, they're really not that expensive and it's going to be the most stable setup to use both at once. Besides if you're replacing the tyres it's going to be easier to get both wheels off at once.

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 01:26:07 AM »

Ok I’ll order both.

Does anyone know if removing the front wheel is any different than the videos I am seeing for other models? Specifically I am looking for instructions on torque settings and as much detail as possible, I haven’t ever removed a motorcycle wheel before.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 02:33:02 AM »

The front axle is 54Nm and the pinch bolts are 22Nm. I don't have one but from looking at images you've got two pinch bolts on the right to loosen and then you can loosen the axle, it looks to take a large internal hex also on the right side.

opengl

• View Profile
2020 Zero SR/F
2019 KTM Duke 390
2014 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Honda 919

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 04:55:00 AM »

I looked to use a triple tree front lift and there are brake wires right over where the pin goes:(

Anyone remove that?
Pages: [1]