• May 04, 2024, 11:54:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Have you had any major issues with your Zero requiring service?

No problems, other than standard maintenance
- 17 (43.6%)
Minor problems, fixed fairly easily by myself or at dealer
- 13 (33.3%)
Major problems, or took forever to get fixed. Bad experience with Zero support, etc.
- 9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: March 27, 2020, 09:59:57 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Any problems with your modern Zero?  (Read 7470 times)

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Any problems with your modern Zero?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 07:21:07 AM »

I am one of the initial owners of the SRF.  Mine was pre-ordered in March and delivered in August of 2019.  In buying the first year of such a radically new bike for Zero, I expected some small issues and quirks that would be worked out through updates or minor repairs.  I actually was okay with that.  Saying that, my bike has been in the dealer's shop for repairs 3 times in the approximately 2K miles that is on it now.  My issues fall into 4 catagories: 1 major repair, 1 minor repair, 1 dealer mistake and 1 annoying issue I wish they would fix.

First the major repair.  So back in late fall 2019, I pulled my SRF into a charger and it dies when I shut it off.  I had the 12v and CEL lights on and the bike would not start.  It had to be trucked home and then trucked to dealer where it sat for a month waiting for the dealer and zero to figure out what was wrong and fix it.  It turned out they replaced the BMS and 12v battery.  They said the BMS was the first generation and they had some issues with the early models. This is a major repair that should not have happened on such a new bike.  Hopefully the last one.

Second I dropped it in to the dealer because the GPS and cell connection was extremely poor.  They ended up replacing the Helios unit telling me it was a first generation unit (see a pattern here) and this one should solve the problem.  This I considered a minor inconvenience being it really did not effect the riding of the bike and was repaired under warranty.

The third issue is the dealer's fault.  After they replaced the Helios unit, the cell signal and GPS was worse.  I even pulled the tank off myself to find the dealer installed the unit upside down and the antennas was pointing to the metal frame of the bike and not to the sky.  There is a reason it says "This side up" on the unit.  I flipped it over and the GPS was 100x better.  It still didn't report the bike's status so back to the dealer where they found a loose wire.  Since I had it fixed it has been a lot better.  Not perfect but I know the cell signal near me is a little sketchy.  This was the dealer's fault so I can't blame Zero.

The last thing that I still have is more of an annoyance.  From day one i found that firmware upgrades outside of the dealer's shop is a PITA.  More times than not the OTA upgrades fail.  I was happy when they updated the app so you can so them over bluetooth.  Still I find that using my Android phone, it would not update and using the iPhone it took 2 tries to get it to update.  Zero has been doing updates like this for a long time and it shocks me they still haven't perfected it.

But with this all, I still love the bike.  Most fun bike I have ever rode.  If I do not have any more major issues, I hope this love affair continues many years into the future.

Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 02:28:15 PM »

Great overview. That reminds me I had my front brake light switch replaced under warranty in the beginning also. It's a tiny micro switch at the brake lever. Haven't failed since replaced.

My dealer is more of the "i'll have to check with zero " type. Afterwards he can explain some stuff based on their feedback. But I really think that what they can do at the dealership regarding real failures is rather limited.

One time he didn't want to update my bike since headquarters were already closed and if anything goes wrong he wouldn't be able to fix it.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

cbeng

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 10:52:32 PM »

My 2020 Zero FX has problems charging fully and displaying an accurate state of charge, and the dealer reviewed the logs with Zero to determine it needs a new MBB under warranty, which may take a few weeks to arrive.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 11:07:06 PM »

My 2020 Zero FX has problems charging fully and displaying an accurate state of charge, and the dealer reviewed the logs with Zero to determine it needs a new MBB under warranty, which may take a few weeks to arrive.
Did they give you any idea of what happened?  I have a 2020 Zero FXS myself but can't ride it until Spring, so I'm not sure if it would affect me either.
Was it a defective part (serial number range) or just a fluke with yours?

These kinds of responses is why I started the thread, so thank you for replying.
Zero FXS 2020

UK S Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 02:56:20 PM »

UK S rider here, after 4K miles, I had the socket in the frame where you plug the charging cable into snap off.

Dealer got if changed under warranty. Scary thing to break, as you won't be able to charge your ride :(

Other than that and the horrible groaning noise when riding in the wet, bike is good. Hoping there is some reliability in the bike, as I came off a Honda Hornet 600, which got thrashed most it's life and NEVER put a foot wrong.

Now looking for a new set of tyres as I've blasted through the stock Diablo's....any recommendations?

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 03:01:04 PM »

Already blasted the stock  tyres? Only 4K miles? Where did you drive, highway to hell? XD
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 03:36:02 PM »

Unlikely, and that's not what he writes. He talks about the issue at 4K miles. Not that he still is at 4K miles right now.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 05:12:57 PM »

Try Michelin Pilot Road 5s, or 4's if you're a cheapskate.

Cas :)

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »

Unlikely, and that's not what he writes. He talks about the issue at 4K miles. Not that he still is at 4K miles right now.

Totally right... a misread by me :D
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 02:10:29 AM »

I had a stuck contactor once on my 2017 DSR (probably my fault) but it was an easy fix.  Other than that, no issues whatsoever.
https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7963.msg68391#msg68391

BTW, I have not done any firmware updates.  It has the same firmware since it was new and I plan to keep it that way.

I do have the same issue that someone else else reported where the green charging light stays on after the bike is fully charged, but I consider that to be more of a nuisance than a maintenance issue.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 02:22:27 AM »

BTW, I have not done any firmware updates.  It has the same firmware since it was new and I plan to keep it that way.

I do have the same issue that someone else else reported where the green charging light stays on after the bike is fully charged, but I consider that to be more of a nuisance than a maintenance issue.
These two issues seem correlated.  The firmware is free, why not update it?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 04:59:58 AM »

I had a stuck contactor once on my 2017 DSR (probably my fault) but it was an easy fix.  Other than that, no issues whatsoever.
https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7963.msg68391#msg68391

That would be me.  It is nice to know that I am not the only one with that strange issue.  One thing that I have been getting really good at is knowing when the charger will be finished with its work. I can pull the plug just in time to hear the click as the switch disconnects the charger and the solid green charging light turns off.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 06:55:22 AM »

Mine does that. I interpreted the green light to mean the cord is plugged in, period. Not sure how that's a nuisance?

I won't be upgrading firmware. Don't fix it if it ain't broke! Smart dealers will think the same.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 07:07:10 AM »

That's a terrible view of firmware.  The green light is broken, if it doesn't turn on.  Battery range calculations are broken if they're wrong.

It's not a matter of being wrong, anyhow, it's a matter of being optimized.

Besides, how do you know you're not affected by a bug?
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/firmware/

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2020, 08:44:03 PM »

The green light is broken, if it doesn't turn on.
The green charging light comes on fine.  It just doesn't turn off after the bike is 100% charged and you unplug the charge cord.  You have to turn the key to on and then off to get the light to go out.  Again, just a nuisance that's all.

Besides, how do you know you're not affected by a bug?
Because other than the minor charge light issue, the bike runs great.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:54:24 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8