• May 05, 2024, 01:10:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Have you had any major issues with your Zero requiring service?

No problems, other than standard maintenance
- 17 (43.6%)
Minor problems, fixed fairly easily by myself or at dealer
- 13 (33.3%)
Major problems, or took forever to get fixed. Bad experience with Zero support, etc.
- 9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: March 27, 2020, 09:59:57 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Any problems with your modern Zero?  (Read 7476 times)

Curt

• View Profile
Re: Any problems with your modern Zero?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 02:52:43 AM »

Besides, how do you know you're not affected by a bug?
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/firmware/

The bike is working fine in all respects, there is nothing of importance in the release notes, and no safety recall notice or update advice from Zero. It would be utterly foolish for me to go to a dealer, out of boredom or curiousity, and risk my reliable wonder-toy getting bricked (many examples of that here) or start second-guessing whether some future problem was due to the "upgrade" (many examples of that here).

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 03:00:18 AM »

The bike is working fine in all respects, there is nothing of importance in the release notes, and no safety recall notice or update advice from Zero. It would be utterly foolish for me to go to a dealer, out of boredom or curiousity, and risk my reliable wonder-toy getting bricked (many examples of that here) or start second-guessing whether some future problem was due to the "upgrade" (many examples of that here).
IOW, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".

-Don-  Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:30:15 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 03:21:13 AM »

Yes, but -- I used those words above and they didn't sink in...

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 03:29:58 AM »

Yep, I've read enough horror stories on this forum about problems that occurred after an update was done too.  It's what has scared me off from doing any.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 03:43:21 AM »

...And we've had stories of bugs in the firmware making diagnosis difficult or perhaps wearing out charging and battery components.

How do you know it's broken if it hasn't failed?  Do you really want it to get into a failure state first?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2020, 03:57:19 AM »

...And we've had stories of bugs in the firmware making diagnosis difficult or perhaps wearing out charging and battery components.

I have heard no such thing.

How do you know it's broken if it hasn't failed?  Do you really want it to get into a failure state first?

Ride more, worry less.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 04:19:14 AM »

Besides, how do you know you're not affected by a bug?
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/firmware/

-Don-  Auburn, CA

I have said it before, the 2014 Zero S that my daughter rides has never had a firmware update since it left the factory in January 2014 and it still runs great.  No problems and no complaints. As near as I can tell the only thing different about that bike from my 2018 S is that 100% SOC shows 117 volts on the Zero app, while mine tops out at 115 volts.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2020, 01:38:53 PM »

I have said it before, the 2014 Zero S that my daughter rides has never had a firmware update since it left the factory in January 2014 and it still runs great.  No problems and no complaints. As near as I can tell the only thing different about that bike from my 2018 S is that 100% SOC shows 117 volts on the Zero app, while mine tops out at 115 volts.
Well, I had the FW updates done on each of my Zeros and then a week or so later, I  did an OTA update on each  myself. The first update must be done at the dealer, the rest we can do as owners.

Anyway, the updates, two each on two bikes have caused me no weird problems at all. I did notice a couple of small differences such as no regen at 100% SOC when starting downhill, that I never had before. But no problems at all.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »

The first 13k km, my DSR ate belts. Like, a new one every 3000km or so. Whey I raised the issue for the 3rd time @ Zero, they replaced my belt wheels and belt and presto, belt lasted 26k km. Turned out there was a rough spot on the rear belt wheel slowly eating my belt...

Other than that: 2 sets brake pads and a set of tires in 40k km

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2020, 03:43:29 PM »

I had lots of issues with the first two models (2012 and 2014 models). Due 2/3 to build quality, 1/3 to bad interactions between zero and dealers.

Less issue with the model bought in 2019 (changed to a better dealer - this is night and day) but i noticed a 15% reduction of the battery capacity after a couple  of cold weather days). Need to check with my dealer how it goes...
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2020, 06:41:39 PM »

The first 13k km, my DSR ate belts. Like, a new one every 3000km or so. Whey I raised the issue for the 3rd time @ Zero, they replaced my belt wheels and belt and presto, belt lasted 26k km. Turned out there was a rough spot on the rear belt wheel slowly eating my belt...

Other than that: 2 sets brake pads and a set of tires in 40k km

Did you notice something while riding? Vibrations or something similar?
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2020, 07:13:35 PM »

Just a comment on Zero Support (I have already posted my technical issues further up this thread)
I can only comment on Zero UK as that's where I live but so far it has been disappointingly poor.

My bike was left at dealers to have it's Spiderbus replaced on 24 Feb, was told I'd hear from Zero UK country manager that afternoon to discuss the issue.
Heard nothing until the 3rd March (9 days later) which was a standard template email from Dale (the UK country manager) explaining that my bike would be getting a replacement part and he was sorry for the issues etc. The email said I would be getting a weekly update on progress.
I replied to Dale asking some additional questions etc. but I've heard nothing back, no promised weekly email update and no answers to my questions.
I emailed again on 13th March asking for some news/updates, still no reply.
The bike has been gone 21 days now and I've the only 'support' I've had was a generic email.

So, Zero UK support gets 1 out of 10 from me.

2022 Zero SR/F Premium

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 07:15:10 PM »

BMW would have given you a loaner for the duration. I find that insisting on a free loaner while they undertake warranty work is a great encouragement to them to get it fixed sooner.

Cas :)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2020, 07:59:33 PM »

BMW would have given you a loaner for the duration. I find that insisting on a free loaner while they undertake warranty work is a great encouragement to them to get it fixed sooner.

That is entirely up to the dealer, NOT BMW. 
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2020, 08:14:06 PM »

Sadly, they couldn't offer me a courtesy SR/F as their demo bike (which would have been the courtesy bike) also has the same issue and needs it's spiderbus replaced - but that one is at the back of the queue as they're trying to get the customer ones done first.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:17:37 PM by SkyYeti »
2022 Zero SR/F Premium
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8