• May 03, 2024, 09:27:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charger dead... Aftermarket/second hand options?  (Read 561 times)

E-Luke

• View Profile
Charger dead... Aftermarket/second hand options?
« on: March 28, 2019, 01:27:52 AM »

So my faithful 2016 DSR, with only 10k on the clock, has given up the goat and the charger has burned out... Got a quote for $900, and most of that is the $800 part.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket options, or second-hand options available? If anyone has fitted a Diginow, I may be interested in buying your charger?!

Cheers,
L

pacificcricket

• View Profile
Re: Charger dead... Aftermarket/second hand options?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »

Sounds like that happened right after the warranty was out ? Happened to me with 2014 DS, 2.5 years (or so) after buying, and after sitting in the shop for 3 weeks
due to recall.

I think at this point Zero should just accept the fact they need to extend the warranty for chargers to 5 years they give for the battery pack. This happens way too frequently
to consider Zero free of guilt. I suggest you give their main customer service line a call and suggest the community is outraged (I am). Do they want to sell more bikes ? Do they
want current owners to advocate on Zero's behalf to other bikers ? They need to replace your charger free of charge. Chargers are not mechanical parts, they should not wear out. They should outlast most of the bike.

Report back to us. Future buying decisions are built on such experiences.

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:14:37 PM »

Folks with spare original chargers may need your approximate location and country in order to help.

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »

Very good point Pacificcricket... I took your advice, but noticed I got more and more frustrated when composing my message to them. You’re right - the charger should definitely be covered, especially if it’s a common place issue with the older gen chargers. Hollywood Electrics mentioned it was an issue they see more often with time. Not cool.
 I’m such a zealot for these things and have convinced two friends to buy them, and have a pre-order on an SRF. This business makes me feel less conviction on both The aforementioned fronts...

So, fingers crossed I get a good result from them, but not holding my breath. Otherwise, I’m in West Hollywood LA for anyone wanting to offload one!

All the best,
Luke
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:32:06 PM by E-Luke »

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:07:51 AM »

So I heard back from Zero... feels like a bit of a blow off. I emailed them back insisting that if it’s a known issue, then is should be recalled... grrrr

Response:
“I’m sorry to hear about your dead charger. Our warranty does cover chargers for 2 years, but yours has unfortunately fallen out of that time frame.

The on-board chargers that come with our older bikes indeed do have a tendency to fail. However, the quality team is constantly looking into ongoing problems and poking our suppliers to update their standards, hopefully cutting down on manufacturing defects.

Fortunately, SR/F utilizes a brand new charger, allegedly with better reliability than older models. We hope that this cuts down on defects and inbound calls; less headache for owners and dealers, less work for the customer service team.

I hope that I’ve resolved some of your conflicts, and continue to be an avid supporter of Zero.”

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 06:33:09 AM »

So I heard back from Zero... feels like a bit of a blow off. I emailed them back insisting that if it’s a known issue, then is should be recalled... grrrr

Response:
“I’m sorry to hear about your dead charger. Our warranty does cover chargers for 2 years, but yours has unfortunately fallen out of that time frame.

The on-board chargers that come with our older bikes indeed do have a tendency to fail. However, the quality team is constantly looking into ongoing problems and poking our suppliers to update their standards, hopefully cutting down on manufacturing defects.

Fortunately, SR/F utilizes a brand new charger, allegedly with better reliability than older models. We hope that this cuts down on defects and inbound calls; less headache for owners and dealers, less work for the customer service team.

I hope that I’ve resolved some of your conflicts, and continue to be an avid supporter of Zero.”

Allegedly?   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 06:41:57 AM »

This raises the possibility that Zero will offer the new 3kW charging units as retrofitted upgrade possibilities for the older platform models.

It’s definitely smaller and lighter, as one would want. The unit with fans could be mounted within the bellypan with an insulator between it and the battery, to eliminate the heat conduction into the power pack case.

Aside from the natural problems with systems integration and fabricating mounting brackets, it’s attractive.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »

Yeah, e-mail isn't the best way to vent out on a vendor. I still recommend that you give them a call, and mention your SRF pre-order that is now leaning towards a cancellation due to concerns of poor quality and their inability to own their proven mistakes. Also mention that your experience is being shared with the community. I actually would be surprised if their customer service folks don't read the forum.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 11:20:18 AM »

Yep, until it passes the test of time with a few hundred users.  That's the only real test for  reliability.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 08:14:54 PM »

Yep, until it passes the test of time with a few hundred users.  That's the only real test for  reliability.

-Don-  Reno, NV

What I found interesting was that Zero used the word "allegedly" to describe the reliability of their new charger component.   ???
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:03:07 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »

So whats needed to trigger a recall?  You would think Zero could sue Greenwatt to cover the cost of replacement.

Again the 2013 Meanwells are still going strong.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »

What I found interesting was that Zero used the word "allegedly" to describe the reliability of their new charger component.   ???
Only means not yet proven. IOW, they are just being honest. The real test is when many are on the road for some time.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X