• May 04, 2024, 11:01:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The electrician is coming, what do I want?  (Read 1571 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: The electrician is coming, what do I want?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »

Don, he did say it's an SR/F Premium, so single J1772 inlet and all that confusing external/aftermarket charger stuff is rightfully moot!
OIC.  I somehow missed that in his first message.

But does the SR/F still have the connector above the motor to add quick chargers?  I know this does no good if you're already charging at 1C, but I still wonder if it's still there.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

PittCaleb

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »

Silly layout question along these lines... This is my garage:

There is only 1 outlet, notes at top right (1), near the pedestrian door to enter the garage from the house.

I run power to my workbench by pulling off an overhead light for small things or running an extension cord the the real tools.

I have the Zero and 'back it in" at the top easily after rides.  I will be purchasing an electric car this August.  I have very easy access to the entire wall where the current outlet (1) is on.  Some cars feed from the front, others from the back (Tesla).  I'm wondering where might be the best place to put this 50 amp circuit.

I originally thought just next to the current 110 outlet.  The Hyundai Kona EV powers from the front, but the Tesla Model 3 back left.  Not sure where the Leaf is charged from.  The Zero is easily moved around the garage and I don't need the J-plug for it anyway. 

I'm wondering if I shouldn't put it on the ceiling in the middle where it could easily be moved to either side of the garage, front or back, for future use.  I used to hang my air compressor hose up there in a previous house.

I am also thinking of running a single 50 amp circuit, but putting in 2 outlets, one at the front and one at the back, along the same wall.  Only additional cost if the outlet ($5) and some extra wire.  Obv couldn't use both at the same time, but would allow flexibility and potential future proofing.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:39:50 PM by PittCaleb »

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 09:33:23 PM »

Silly layout question along these lines...

Thoughts?

EVSE cords I'm familiar with are 20 to 25 feet long. You could put the EVSE at the center of the forward wall; the Tesla would have to be parked closer than you want, or backed in. You could also put the EVSE at the center of the right wall, though walking around might be more of an issue. If you don't secure the EVSE to the wall, put the outlet low on the forward wall and if the Tesla needs more cord you could lay the EVSE on the ground.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »

Purely an idea I've had and I'll throw it out here.
You know the swinging arm that's over the bay on older self wash car washes?  It lets you pull the pressure washing gun all around the car while keeping the hose off the ground and out of the way.

What about a central plug in the center of the garage ceiling with the cord running on a swing arm like the car wash so it can reach multiple EVs and saves cable wear and tear.  Also keeping it as high as possible from any flooding.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:49:19 PM by NEW2elec »

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 11:01:24 PM »

I am also thinking of running a single 50 amp circuit, but putting in 2 outlets, one at the front and one at the back, along the same wall.  Only additional cost if the outlet ($5) and some extra wire.

I like the idea of a 2nd outlet, but it might not be so cheap. My 50 amp line was run in metal conduit. There are many reasons for this, including heat dissipation to prevent burning down the house.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

pyromancy5

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 06:47:39 AM »

While I'm new to this forum, I've been an EV owner for 2 years now with my Leaf and an EVSE in the garage.  I installed the breaker, ran the line, and installed the 14-50 NEMA outlet.  I also went with the Siemens Versicharge.  It's about $100 less than the Juicebox and delivers 30A, which would be enough for home charging needs (8kW per hour max).

just my $.02
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:57:12 AM by pyromancy5 »
'14 Nissan Leaf SL; 2014 Zero SR 11.4; '81 Yamaha SR500

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »

I like the idea of a 2nd outlet, but it might not be so cheap. My 50 amp line was run in metal conduit. There are many reasons for this, including heat dissipation to prevent burning down the house.

For my 50A circuit I got a roll of Cerrowire 6 AWG and stapled it along the garage ceiling away from anywhere it could be bumped or pierced by roofing nails, etc, then ran it down into the wall. It is fine by any definition.

Ampacity information: https://www.cerrowire.com/products/resources/tables-calculators/ampacity-charts/
It is never going to exceed the lowest temperature rating and can be run in always-dry areas out of reach.
It's also on the upper end of what's reasonable to bend around and connect up to wall receptacles.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician. Never listen to me.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 12:42:51 PM »

Purely an idea I've had and I'll throw it out here.
You know the swinging arm that's over the bay on older self wash car washes?  It lets you pull the pressure washing gun all around the car while keeping the hose off the ground and out of the way.

What about a central plug in the center of the garage ceiling with the cord running on a swing arm like the car wash so it can reach multiple EVs and saves cable wear and tear.  Also keeping it as high as possible from any flooding.

Funny you should mention that. The guy in the video below did that using a piece of plywood on gate hinges so he could share an EVSE cable among two cars.

I don't see where two 50A outlets on one circuit would be useful. For one, that would prevent future use of two EVSEs unless they're only 16A. For another, moving an EVSE between outlets may tempt the electronics to burn out, disrupt features like Wi-Fi and car brand awareness (Juice Box has both), and may fatigue both the connector and the user.

Pages: 1 [2]