• May 05, 2024, 12:05:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F unable to take 43kW AC  (Read 355 times)

princec

• View Profile
SR/F unable to take 43kW AC
« on: April 25, 2022, 03:36:45 AM »

Back at Morrisons in Warminster today, to see if the problem I had last year with the 43kW AC tethered charger was just a glitch or whether it's my bike. Well... turns out it's my bike.
The SR/F Premium with Charge Tank is unable to initiate a charge on a 43kW AC charger. It latches the Mennekes, sits there drawing 0 amps for a few seconds, then decides nothing's happening and stops trying. The charger is offering the power for definite, but the Zero isn't asking for any.

So I'm guessing that the Zero is somehow asking the charger what it can offer, the charger says "43kW, buddy" and the Zero goes "oh noes, that's too much, kthxbai". So also presumably this is the bike's problem, and a design feature of the SR/F, rather than the Geniepoint charger being shite.

Can anybody confirm?

Cas :)

Skidz

• View Profile
Re: SR/F unable to take 43kW AC
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 01:24:34 PM »

The handshake you describe is a bit different from how it really goes. Inside the plug going into the bike there is a resistor/diode combination that tells the bike "We can max deliver X kW power" and then the bike starts, limiting itself to max power to avoid tripping the fuse in the EVSE. A small piece of info can be found here: https://www.picoauto.com/library/automotive-guided-tests/charger-vehicle-proximity-line-resistance-type-2/

What is more likely to happen, is that the Zero expects anything between 200Ohm-1.5kOhm signalling power levels up to 32A (Which is a 22kW EVSE) before turning on the chargers. The EVSE however advertises 63A(43kW) at 100 Ohm and the bike thinks "Too low resistance, the cable is broken, kthxbai" ;). In theory a faster EVSE can always be used since it is a max available power, not a push-it-through-the-cable-whatever power but the bike needs to be aware of all possible EVSE types that are standardised. So even on a 43kW station the bike uses what it's configured for, like 12kW for the decked out SR/F.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 03:16:49 PM »

That is kinda exactly as I suspected, and a massive suckage.

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 09:51:32 PM »

Actually, is the 1kHZ signal duty cycle that tells the charger what is the maximum current that it can draw from the EVSE. If you can program you EVSE for 12KW ,Zero will see a familiar value, and may start charging.

PWM duty cycle indicating ampere capacity[27]
PWM       SAE continuous        SAE short term
50%                   30 A                  36 A peak
40%                   24 A             30 A peak
30%                  18 A                 22 A peak   
25%                  15 A                20 A peak
16%             9.6 A   
10%              6 A   
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

Uram

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 11:59:19 PM »

I've charged my SR/S Premium with Chargetank on 2 different 43kW Stations before. An Efacec - QC45 and an ABB - Terra 53 CJG. Although I remember giving up trying to charge at the ABB once aswell.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 02:04:09 AM »

So I'm guessing that the Zero is somehow asking the charger what it can offer, the charger says "43kW, buddy" and the Zero goes "oh noes, that's too much, kthxbai". So also presumably this is the bike's problem, and a design feature of the SR/F, rather than the Geniepoint charger being shite.

Can anybody confirm?

I think the way it works is the pilot signal from the charge station tells your charger in your  bike to not exceed a draw of more than 43KW (as if that were possible)  as that is all the charge station can handle. Its purpose is to reduce your charger, which should NOT apply here at all, since your load is MUCH less than 43KW.

What I have seen happen to me with my external chargers was a J-1772 station that could detect I was not using the pilot signal and therefore would not charge at all. I have only seen that happen at one location on a type of J-1772 I have never seen before, in Florida. It said right on the screen "no pilot signal use detected", See my Jan 2, 2022 Plugshare comment here.

But I don't see why there should be an issue with being well below the capacity of the charge station. The pilot is still being used in your case.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X