• May 05, 2024, 03:36:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 2019 LED Headlight Retrofit  (Read 3918 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Re: 2019 LED Headlight Retrofit
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2019, 06:19:18 AM »

I installed the Sealight H4 LED bulb yesterday.  Installation was a breeze.  Just be sure to remove the twist off plastic base before inserting the bulb into the socket as indicated in the directions.

There is only one way the bulb can be inserted, so I'm not sure why some folks are having trouble with the orientation.

The light output is great.  Nice bright white light without any bluish hue.  I haven't had chance to check out the beam pattern yet, but will follow up when I do.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 07:56:43 AM »

I installed the Sealight H4 LED bulb yesterday.  Installation was a breeze.  Just be sure to remove the twist off plastic base before inserting the bulb into the socket as indicated in the directions.

There is only one way the bulb can be inserted, so I'm not sure why some folks are having trouble with the orientation.

The light output is great.  Nice bright white light without any bluish hue.  I haven't had chance to check out the beam pattern yet, but will follow up when I do.

The twist off base has 2 pins 180 degrees apart, so yes it can be installed upside down.

carldev

• 2018 Zero S 7.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »

Sorry to update an old thread

Just installed the Sealight H4 LED bulb in my 2018 S and wanted to share my findings for anyone looking to do this to a similar bike.
The orientation of the translucent twist off base does not matter.  The LED bulb comes with a black plastic holder of its own that will only fit into the headlight housing in one way.  The issue I had was reinstalling the translucent twist off part over the new holder.  The back side of the twist off holder has two small raised tabs that fit into the stock bulb fine but interfere with the Sealight H4 LED's black plastic holder piece.  I was forced to sand the tabs off so the back of the translucent twist off holder was flush flat.  It then reinstalled easy and secures the Sealight holder great.

Just wanted to add my experience to the thread.  I love the look of the bulb and beam pattern.  The only thing is it makes the little secondary bulb above look really yellow.  Anyone know of an LED replacement for the upper bulb in the same 6000K color spectrum?

Thanks!
-Carl

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 08:21:48 PM »

The small bulb above the main headlight is the running light.  I replaced the stock bulb with this one from Superbright.  Works and looks great.  Very bright.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-w-focusing-lens-10-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/1701/4011/
Currently Owned Bikes:

carldev

• 2018 Zero S 7.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 08:55:19 PM »

Ohh much appreciated BamBam!

Thanks
-Carl

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »

Not cheap, but it matches the color of the Sealight bulb and should last forever.
Currently Owned Bikes:

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 05:03:30 AM »

Not cheap, but it matches the color of the Sealight bulb and should last forever.

I purchased the Yorkim 194 LED for the upper light which also matches the Sealight perfectly. See the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JRE38EA?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:08 PM »

I purchased the Yorkim 194 LED for the upper light which also matches the Sealight perfectly. See the link.

I don't think the Yorkim bulb is going to be near as bright as the Superbright bulb.  100 lumens vs 350 lumens.
Currently Owned Bikes:

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 11:36:16 PM »

I don't think the Yorkim bulb is going to be near as bright as the Superbright bulb.  100 lumens vs 350 lumens.

Yeah, but it's just a running light, which btw doesn't even make sense that it even needs a running light since the headlight is always on anyways. Just a waste of electrons if you ask me.

carldev

• 2018 Zero S 7.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2019, 04:00:59 AM »

Ok everyone hoping you can help me with one last thing.
Little embarrassed but I cannot figure out how to remove the running light.
My owners manual references squeezing a metal clip but I cannot feel anything under the rubber water guard.

How exactly do I remove the upper running light?

Thanks!
-Carl

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2019, 06:00:18 AM »

Ok everyone hoping you can help me with one last thing.
Little embarrassed but I cannot figure out how to remove the running light.
My owners manual references squeezing a metal clip but I cannot feel anything under the rubber water guard.

How exactly do I remove the upper running light?

Thanks!
-Carl

Pull the entire rubber grommet out from behind. Have to wiggle it side to side, maybe use something to pry it out with.

carldev

• 2018 Zero S 7.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2019, 06:06:42 AM »

Ok got it thanks alko!  You wiggle suggestion worked great, it just pops out. 
I ended up going with the 194-WHP6 from superbrightleds.com
Its also 100 lumens, I think that is the way to go.  350 would be insanely bright.
Much appreciated everyone
-Carl

Nadrol

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2021, 10:48:18 AM »

I bought the sealight bulb and the 100w wedge LEDs for my 2015 S. Looks great!

I also replaced the license plate light (it's the same as the running light).

But a note on the headlight bulb retainer. Modification is necessary as noted before, but I just shortened the arc length of the feature that interferes with the sealight plate with a coarse file until the plate could rotate to the correct position. I also had to file the outside of those arcs a tad to get the two parts to mate fully.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2021, 10:56:44 AM »

Anyone else intrigued by the new 2019 Zero Headlight teaser for 2.25.19 https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ ? Already thinking of a retrofit for my 2017!

I'm currently running the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE headlight bulb and Sylvania - 194 T10 W5W ZEVO LED White Headlamp running Light.

I switched my headlight out,for an hi/low beam LED but it throws the projection way off, so I will definately see if the sr/f headlight assembly can be retrofitted to my dsr.

I was forced to abandon my stock 2016 DSR headlight.
I installed a 5.75” JW Speaker pedestal style unit  https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/adaptive-led-headlights-model-8691-adaptive-2/
that I was able to mount into the hollowed out stock headlight assembly using a custom mount.
This enabled the use of the stock housing to hide & protect misc. wires/connections & keep the running light of which I’ve layered Selective Yellow tint for contrast.
Also converted turn signals to LED as well as installed additional front & side facing LED’s in the hand-guards.   
These are controlled via a Skene https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/IQ-250-A-TS-Front-Lighting-Controller-with-Alert-%26-Turn-Signals-p80222667 controller that allows full time running lights of turn signals that flicker for enhanced conspicuousness. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: 1 2 [3]