• May 06, 2024, 11:21:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 2015 SR Just got it and love it  (Read 5500 times)

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: 2015 SR Just got it and love it
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »

lolachampcar,

Thank YOU! We wouldn't be successful without the support of customers like yourself. I'm happy to hear you are enjoying your new bike. We feel very fortunate to have such a passionate group of electric motorcycle enthusiasts in the Hollywood Electrics family as it continues to grow!
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

zax123

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 11:11:59 PM »

Hi @lola, I see you on the TMC forum all the time but thought I'd post here as it is more a propos. I'm thinking of getting a 2015 Zero SR. My other vehicle is a P85. I'd be switching from a late model ZX-10R. Will I get a similar feeling of being able to make the bike do whatever I want? I find the ZX to be light and nimble while having an insane amount of power... I think you are coming from a bimmer literbike right?

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 12:17:45 AM »

The 2011+ ZX has 73 lb-ft of torque while the Zero SR has 106. So, in the exception of rev. the ZX on 1st gear, the Zero SR should give you more sensations and you have all the torque instantly. I'm sure you will have a better feeling with the SR.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 05:42:16 PM »

Zax,

As they say on the view, we need to talk.........

It would be a little like moving from an M5 to a P.
The Zero will not handle or stop anything like a liter class sport bike.
The shear joy of day to day driving (I use it for a 22 mile commute to the airport five times a week weather permitting) puts the Zero and the P head and shoulders above a liter class bike and the BMW.
Both electrics fall horribly short where they always do, sustained high speeds and range.

I suggest you come borrow my bike for a day and make your own call.  You are arguably giving up a lot more with the Zero move than the Tesla but my experience was an S1000RR that sat in my hangar for a year while I piled miles on the Zero.  I am a bit strange so I may not be the best data point.

Bill
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

zax123

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »

Thanks for the offer of borrowing your bike, Bill!!

I come to FL about once a year, but usually in October... maybe I *should* go down for the Formula-E in March. :)

And thanks for the comments.  I don't push my ZX-10R at all... I'm a relatively new biker and I just liked the seating position on it more than the Ninja 1000 I had before it.  But my insurance costs me about $1600/year and my registration is $1000/year, so I figure I will save on both of those with the SR and I'll have an electric friend for my P85. :)

I have an HPWC and a 14-50 (6-50) in my garage.  Can the SR charge on the 14-50?

Thanks again for the offer, and if I'm ever anywhere near WPB, I will take you up on the offer!

Rob

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »

Yes you can charge your Zero from a NEMA 14-50. This is the same plug found at most camp grounds so it is good to have the adapter for this.

zax123

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »

Yes you can charge your Zero from a NEMA 14-50. This is the same plug found at most camp grounds so it is good to have the adapter for this.

Very cool, thanks.  Does it also have a J1772 plug or must you buy the kit which still effectively charges at low voltage/amperage?

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »

To charge a Zero from a NEMA 14-50 you are going to need a male NEMA 14-50 plug and a power cord that will plug into the charger. You can get both by searching on Amazon.com. The power cord for the internal charger on the Zero is the same used for many computers so they are very easy to find. The NEMA 14-50 plug does have four connections. Basically you ignore the bottom connection and use the top three. If you are just using the internal charger you will not charge any faster from a NEMA 14-50 than if you plug it into a 110 outlet. If you are going to use the Elcon chargers they will charge a lot faster from a NEMA 14-50 outlet than they will from a 110 outlet. You can charge just as fast from a NEMA 14-50 as you can from a J1772 outlet.

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »

The Zero has (I believe) a 1.4KW charger which accepts 110V or 220V.  If you want to use a 14-50, I would get a spare computer/printer/fax cord (try to get the fat ones - larger wire diameter - as they tend to stay cooler) and buy the desired plug from Home Depot or the like.  A quick Google search will get you the proper wiring.  This saves you from having to buy adapters.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

zax123

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 12:33:40 AM »

OK cool thanks. I was wondering what the fast charge option was in the Zero configurator...

jheth

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »

Got my 2015 SR yesterday. Seriously awesome. Crazy power.
One thing that was weird: left dealership at 100% SOC. Arrived home with 25% SOC. Turn off bike, turn it back on, and it says 38% SOC. My 45 mile ride @ 70mph should only use ~60% of the battery, based on Zero's range spec of 77 miles @ 70mph. I did a few power bursts on the freeway, but nothing extreme. So I think the 38% SOC seems more accurate, but wondering if anyone else has seen this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »

Happens all the time to my hotrod'ed 2013 S. I often stop at chipotle on the  way home after riding about 20 minutes on the highway.  When I park the bike it will read like 20% and when I get out it reads 28% often going up one bar from where I left it.

My bike also has a size six controller.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »

My bone-stock 2014 SR does the same thing, if not to that degree. I'll often get to work, the meter will read, say, 72%, then when I go out for lunch it'll have changed to, say, 69%. I'm pretty sure it's related to temperature. Putting a number on a battery's "state of charge" is nearly as much art as science; it depends on temperature, load, battery age, etc.

Mine might change more than it does at low SoC if I did the same thing you describe, but I'm pretty paranoid about taking care of my battery, so I rarely let it drop below 30%, and I immediately put it on the juice when it does.

The BMS probably does some calibration-type activities when the system is new. A battery pack's nominal capacity is only a nominal value, and the BMS probably determines the exact capacity of the battery over the first few charge/discharge cycles. It's a bit tricky, since cell voltage is dependent on time since charging, temperature, load, etc., so it might take a few cycles for the BMS to really zero in on the best possible approximation.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 11:11:07 PM »

I did a few power bursts on the freeway, but nothing extreme.

Another thought: Those "non-extreme" freeway power bursts will run your battery down much faster than you're probably thinking. As you become familiar with the bike, you'll realize that the battery consumption curve relative to speed is insanely steep, and just a few seconds spent at 85 mph will suck your battery down amazingly fast. Putting a fairing or windscreen on will help but only a full-on Vetter/Herschner-style treatment will really improve things at speed.

Nowadays I get my acceleration ya-yas from a standing start. That huge leap off the line in nearly complete silence is even more fun, more impressive, nearly free, and best of all, it's totally legal.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 08:40:09 AM »

Zax,

As they say on the view, we need to talk.........

It would be a little like moving from an M5 to a P.
The Zero will not handle or stop anything like a liter class sport bike.
The shear joy of day to day driving (I use it for a 22 mile commute to the airport five times a week weather permitting) puts the Zero and the P head and shoulders above a liter class bike and the BMW.
Both electrics fall horribly short where they always do, sustained high speeds and range.

I suggest you come borrow my bike for a day and make your own call.  You are arguably giving up a lot more with the Zero move than the Tesla but my experience was an S1000RR that sat in my hangar for a year while I piled miles on the Zero.  I am a bit strange so I may not be the best data point.

Bill
A bit off-topic but I have to comment on you saying that a P85 is head and shoulders above an M5. I have the current generation M5 and I bought it after I test drove a P85. I really wanted to buy the Tesla but I found that the BMW was the better automobile after I test drove one. The Tesla does have that instant torque, but the BMW is the faster car and that is borne out by all of the auto mag tests (lots more horsepower AND torque). The cabin luxury level is night and day - the Tesla is spartan by comparison. The electronic driving aids on the M5 (blind spot warning, collision warning, lane deviation warning, bird's eye camera, head-up display) leave the Tesla in the dust which I found to be ironic for such a cutting-edge car. These are not gadgets, they make driving safer and enhance the driving experience. I felt that if I was going to spend that much money on a car I wanted the latest tech for the whole car - not just in the propulsion system. Don't get me wrong, the P85 is a wonderful car and a monumental achievement but I chose the M5 over it and I am obviously not anti-electric.

Sorry for the off-topic mini-rant. Can't help myself, I'm a BMW M guy (and a Zero guy).
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4