• May 14, 2024, 12:37:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: October Incentives  (Read 1270 times)

ATM

• View Profile
October Incentives
« on: October 12, 2016, 06:35:40 PM »

Thinking about getting a 2016 demo.  Some dealers are offering a $1500 demo rebate while others have an additional $600 'October Promotion'.   I know getting an out the door price is all that matters but do dealers hold back promotions?

Also, what is the downside to getting a demo bike with a few hundred miles on it? As long as it wasn't dropped I can't think of anything.   
2013 Zero XU

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: October Incentives
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:08:51 PM »

The only downsides I can think of are that the warranty you get with a demo bike might be somewhat shorter (not the full 2-years but the remaining part of a 2 year and 3 months warranty), that there will be some wear on the tires/brakes, and that the belt tension might be too tight as I suspect most dealers don't bother to adjust that during the demo period and it is known that that belt tends to shrink and get *very* tight in the first few months of leaving the factory. Most here have mentioned they had to adjust the tension down; having too tight a belt is not good for the drivetrain (bearings, the belt itself).

Some think demo bikes are better due to potential early-life defects having manifested themselves and having been fixed for you already. I don't support this idea - I'd rather know what issues my bike has and how they are resolved, and in all honesty, if a bike is expected to have many issues to be resolved within such a short period I would probably not consider buying that brand at all. Most Zeros should not have issues, so why rely on a demo bike to have potential issues resolved... Chargers are one of these things, I've heard, but from what I see they tend to fail at several thousand miles, not several hundred...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:10:42 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »

I took advantage of my local dealer's October Demo sale and got my DSR with 89 miles for $2,600 off MSRP. There was still a $599 "set-up fee" that he wouldn't knock down, however.  I am not sure when my warranty expires...whether it's from my date of purchase or what, but it's a current model year so I am sure it's close to the full 2 years.

The other thing I learned while I was shopping with this dealer is that Zero has a COV list (Company Owned Vehicles) that is full of bikes that were used by the press, etc. So I came close to buying a 2015 DS with 214 miles for $9,999. Bikes on this list have not been registered so are eligible for all of the rebates, but do have less time left on the warranty because it is one MY old.
2016 DSR

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:29:45 AM »

Where does one find the COV list?
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 07:08:32 AM »

Where does one find the COV list?
I am guessing it's a list only Zero dealers have access to.
2016 DSR
Pages: [1]