• May 05, 2024, 09:40:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DC charger/converter? (Think off grid solar/bank)  (Read 819 times)

manitou

• View Profile
DC charger/converter? (Think off grid solar/bank)
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:58:44 AM »

Has anyone come up with a way to transfer juice from an off grid system to the bike? 

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: DC charger/converter? (Think off grid solar/bank)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »

Not that I'm aware of. I think it makes the most sense to have a Tesla Powerwall type of setup plugged into your house circuit. This might sound like an obvious statement, but you'll probably need to scale up your solar installation/battery bank to charge a bike in addition to normal household usage.

I came across a video of a guy creating his own Powerwall last night:

That's just the kind of thing I'd love to do if I had the time and space.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 02:44:56 PM »

Has anyone come up with a way to transfer juice from an off grid system to the bike?
It should be do-able but the easiest way is just to use an AC converter and charge the motor using the on-board charger.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 06:05:08 AM »

No matter what you do, you need a way to boost the voltage up. So you might as well use an inverter, and at that point you might as well just use the onboard charger.
So a power inverter sized large enough to run the onboard charger.

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 07:18:09 AM »

And a battery bank large enough to buffer the load. I saw a post last night about a product from SMA that looks more promising. Basically making electric vehicle batteries part of the system rather than a load on the system. Will wait to see if they release that.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 12:19:31 PM »

"No matter what you do, you need a way to boost the voltage up"

or down.  depends on the voltage of you home battery pack, etc. 
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:39:01 PM »

"No matter what you do, you need a way to boost the voltage up"

or down.  depends on the voltage of you home battery pack, etc.

The only higher than 116v dc packs I am aware of are the Tesla powerwall packs. (400-ish volts i think)
My understanding is that they're all self contained with an inverter anyway, and are intended to be permanently wired into a building.

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 04:59:25 AM »

This is my favourite subject (being a solar guy of 20+ years).

I continuously hunt for the right type of inverter charger to suit Zero's - it's actually easier on early 48V models but the newer 120V nom battery is much harder. best recent tip I have is that in Japan, a common system voltage for home storage is 100V DC (ish). So, LG for example and a number of others have Lithium home batteries at that voltage to suit that market. This means they have nom 100V DC inverter chargers too and I'm told Omron are one of the better ones. I can't find anything about a 100V model though, perhaps cos Im down under.

So, anyone got a freind in Japan who they can lean on for some hunting around?

BTW, the nom 300VDC Tesla powerwall does not include an inverter charger. Currently, you are restricted to SolarEdge, Fronius & a new SMA.

Talking to inverter charger engineers I know, the cost of manufacturing a reliable, quality, approved inverter charger to suit is many hundreds of thousands of dollars. The HV DC requires some high levels of engineering and isolation that pushes up engineering, component and approval costs.

Also, interesting to note that most of the inverter chargers for stationary batteries (aka Tesla, LG Chem etc) are around 3kW so not powerful enough for our needs. This is driven by the fact that most of the home batteries can only deliver around 3-4kW peak, so it's unlikely we'll see much above that, unless you start looking at commercial scale inverter chargers.
Pages: [1]