• May 09, 2024, 05:00:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2017 SR needs new motor controller  (Read 1136 times)

CessnaDriver

• View Profile
Re: 2017 SR needs new motor controller
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 01:24:35 AM »

Thanks. For $325, I'll just have the dealer worry about the labor 😅
$1500 in parts is hard to swallow... but beats having the thing catch fire
Alexandria, VA USA
2017 Zero SR   Previously: 2003 Honda VTX1800-C  and 1985 Yamaha Maxim XJ-700

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 01:25:00 AM »

Yeah, I guess I'll keep it. Still mad, but after having a chance to sleep on it, I came to the realization that after 27k miles and beating the p*** out of it (gunning it everytime a light turned green), I was just asking too much from it. God, it's a fun motorcycle. But, you can't expect them to hold up at top performance without something breaking eventually. Something had to give. Maybe I should have expected it, given the benefit of hindsight. Maybe someone can learn something from my expensive mistake. Take it easy with the right hand grip ;)

The thing is, when Zero checks your logs and there's a warranty claim, how you ride it is visible in those logs to the trained eye. So they might have been a little tight-lipped or even rebuffed because of something they identified.

I don't really know, but I do try to train myself on log-reading from time to time (especially now that I'm turning that stuff into data I can feed into generic data tools), and things like hot starts and so on do stick out.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 01:33:23 AM »

FWIW I tried to find a public priced listing for the Sevcon Gen4 Size 6 controller, and the short answer appears to be 1300 euro or 1450 USD:
https://www.boostech.de/en/produkt/sevcon-gen4-size6-controller/

CessnaDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »

Update- new controller was installed and it allowed the dealer to commission the motor, but the motor temps are still all over the place and the dealer can't figure it out without calling Zero and they're closed on weekends.

Going on a month with the bike and taking the bus to work really sucks. I need my motorcycle. ICE bikes are gaining more appeal day by day.
Alexandria, VA USA
2017 Zero SR   Previously: 2003 Honda VTX1800-C  and 1985 Yamaha Maxim XJ-700

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 10:09:15 PM »

Zero needs to do better than this. I wish I could do more than wish you luck. I'll try.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 01:18:27 AM »

From the pile of ICE bikes that are stuck at the dealers due to recalls and repairs, I wouldn't say they're any more free of problems.

It sucks when you're the one with something broken, but modern bikes have sensors and can have weird problems, too.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 03:52:57 AM »

I would love to know if the motor's temp is all over the place or the motor's temp sensor is all over the place.

Zero does need in invest in more tech support but my gut tells me most of these shop guys don't want to embrace electric bikes and don't want to take the time to get better trained on how to work on these bikes.  They can tear a gas bike down and rebuild it in their sleep and don't want to learn a whole new beast.

If it does end up being a bad sensor I would want the old controller replaced and see how it runs. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »

Zero customer support needs to de-centralize so that it's no longer a bottleneck delaying diagnosis steps, and so that it forces them to rely on documentation more than know-how.

Unfortunately, the comment about dealership service technician reluctance is probably a factor, but Zero can do better.

I will say that if an expensive system part like the controller is deemed worth replacing, the customer deserves a written explanation of why the conclusion was made, even if it's just a log dump and a quick sentence. The customer in ICE servicing circumstances deserves to receive the replaced part as well if they wish (it's their property), and this should apply to EVs as well.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 08:42:33 AM »

I would love to know if the motor's temp is all over the place or the motor's temp sensor is all over the place.

I have to think the the actual temperature would be fairly constant but a faulty sensor &/or conductor could cause frequent & wide reading fluctuations.

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 08:44:27 AM »

I have to think the the actual temperature would be fairly constant but a faulty sensor &/or conductor could cause frequent & wide reading fluctuations.

Yes, I agree. I wonder how this all played out as a controller diagnosis, or whether there's something about motor sensor fluctuations (maybe it's shorting out?) that led to an issue with the controller.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 08:54:35 AM »

Do we know if the/these temperature sensor(s) are common Thermister(s)?
If so, MAY be easy to check (including wiggling conductors/plugs).....

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 11:11:20 AM »

How could they decentralize?  There's only so much demand and available training, tho.

And yes, they have to give you the parts back if you request, at least in California.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 01:43:53 PM »

Yes, I agree. I wonder how this all played out as a controller diagnosis, or whether there's something about motor sensor fluctuations (maybe it's shorting out?) that led to an issue with the controller.

I would think it wouldn’t be a Short but rather a partial “Open” ie loose connection.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:45:35 PM by ESokoloff »
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 01:55:55 PM »

I would think it wouldn’t be a Short but rather a partial “Open” ie loose connection.

Sure, but how would that result in controller damage? Unless maybe the fluctuations themselves resulted in wild power transients as it tried to track motor limits. But that seems unlikely.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 02:05:49 PM »

I’m not addressing the condemned controller (not enough knowledge nor info), but rather the erroneous temperature readings. 

PERHAPS the sensor(s) are RTD'S

Their resistance goes up as the sensed temperature increases.
A loose connection (increase in resistance) would manifest as a higher temperature reading. 
Also it could be that the sensor is bad (intermittently) internally. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:19:11 PM by ESokoloff »
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: 1 [2] 3