• May 10, 2024, 02:12:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 3D printed parts discussion  (Read 1489 times)

pacificcricket

• View Profile
3D printed parts discussion
« on: April 07, 2019, 01:43:49 AM »

Folks,

So I see a thread about fender eliminator, but who else is 3D printing stuff for their Zero and what kind ? I will be doing the tank bag replacement within upcoming weeks, will share it then.

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
Re: 3D printed parts discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 04:20:29 AM »

I attempted fender eliminator for the FX, but it needed to be better braced and I never welded up a subframe for it.

https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8748.0

I havent given up on it quite yet. Not sure what else to design / print.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:46:56 AM »

Not sure what else to design / print.

Grips would be pretty straightforward either to design, or there are some already on thingiverse.com. Mine haven't wore out yet, otherwise I'd make some. TPU should work great for that.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »

I have an idea for a broken belt emergency fix.  I don't know if it can be printed strong enough or needs to be metal.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 10:58:13 PM »

I have an idea for a broken belt emergency fix.  I don't know if it can be printed strong enough or needs to be metal.

There are some really good engineering-grade materials for extrusion printers, such as Nylon with carbon fiber particles. Then layer orientation can be made to increase the strength. In the end, there are other 3D printer types (epoxy based) that may produce higher strength parts.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 07:47:08 PM »

Lost my charge port plug, designed a replacement. Tried to make it fairly close to what original was like (without having a sample in hand). Printed with TPU.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »

Lost my charge port plug, designed a replacement. Tried to make it fairly close to what original was like (without having a sample in hand). Printed with TPU.

I don't know what it is about those plugs, but about 50% of the time I forget to plug mine in before riding off.  Fortunately, so far, that plastic strap has done its job and I have yet to loose my plug.  But I can see how you might need a new one once in a while.  ;)  Sounds like a good use for 3D printing.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »

I don't know what it is about those plugs, but about 50% of the time I forget to plug mine in before riding off.  Fortunately, so far, that plastic strap has done its job and I have yet to loose my plug.  But I can see how you might need a new one once in a while.  ;)  Sounds like a good use for 3D printing.  :)

Yeah, my strap broke a while back, and it was a matter of time before I'd lose the plug :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 11:49:23 AM »

I've been designing parts for waterjet or lasercut fabrication.

My parts are more structural, and have supported: (1) a Corbin trunk made for the Concours 14, (2) a DigiNow charger on each side of the chin of the frame, and (3) J1772 inlets.

I'm working on designs to support fairings using this technique in combination with others. One nice property is that this method gets cheaper when ordering in batches.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »

I've started working on replacing the storage bag, but so far having a hard time replicating the geometry exactly. I wonder if there are drawings available for some of that stuff ? Like how did Hollywood Electrics design their carbon fiber setup ? Note that attached image is just a preview from the CAD, it actually doesn't have those sharp angles in the printed model.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:53:04 AM by pacificcricket »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »

Vendors don't typically share drawings to the public. But you could always put the object in a 3d scanner, or inquire with these actors (Zero, Hollywood Electrics) privately and maybe... try to offer them something for their trouble.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 08:16:23 PM »

try to offer them something for their trouble.

I would rather buy a pre-manufactured replacement, but Zero doesn't offer one. So the way I see it, they should offer me something for my trouble :D

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »

try to offer them something for their trouble.

I would rather buy a pre-manufactured replacement, but Zero doesn't offer one. So the way I see it, they should offer me something for my trouble :D

I strongly support the right to repair and would generally promote OEMs offering technical information like drawings through various means and licenses, but what you’re saying is demonstrably false.

Zero has replacement parts for everything listed. They just don’t publish drawings for them.

What I’m telling you, though, is that idly asking for free stuff on a forum persuades no one, whereas actually engaging in a good faith discussion with a vendor has a much better chance of getting something done. Your attitude is literally the opposite of what might achieve your goal.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 08:59:23 PM »

Zero has replacement parts for everything listed. They just don’t publish drawings for them.

Once again... if I can buy a hard storage compartment to fit my 2014 bike from them, I'd like to do that instead of spending time designing my own.
In that case I won't need the drawings. Where do they list them ? I believe they don't.

What I’m telling you, though, is that idly asking for free stuff on a forum persuades no one

Holy cow. You do realize that once I have the thing designed I am going to publish the models so other people can have it FOR FREE ? I think you need to stop talking to me :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 09:04:49 PM »

Once again... if I can buy a hard storage compartment to fit my 2014 bike from them, I'd like to do that instead of spending time designing my own.
In that case I won't need the drawings. Where do they list them ? I believe they don't.

What I’m telling you, though, is that idly asking for free stuff on a forum persuades no one

Holy cow. You do realize that once I have the thing designed I am going to publish the models so other people can have it FOR FREE ? I think you need to stop talking to me :)

AF1 Racing literally lists the parts you’ve asked for, and dealerships can all order them. Now, they’re not easy to find, but they’re available. You can just ask Zero’s customer support team to do parts lookups.

You could probably even ask Zero for drawings, and if you negotiate with them, it might even work. But you’re not even trying.

I’m not discounting your efforts. I’m talking about you saying falsehoods about Zero to justify what you’re doing.
Pages: [1] 2 3