• May 05, 2024, 08:13:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LiveWiire vs Zero SR/F comparison video  (Read 2262 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: LiveWiire vs Zero SR/F comparison video
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 07:06:32 PM »

I sort of got the site to work and located the address of the LW dealer, but what a miserable website. Could they make it any more difficult to use? I am not familiar with any motorcycle shops at 3146 Mission St in SF and the website didn't even provide the name of the dealership. I will have to use Google Maps to locate it and to look at the street view to see what is going on there. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Who designed that website?  The Cybermen?  ::)

3146 Mission St in SF

-Don-  Reno, NV

Well, that is a shock for me. I was working for SSF when SF-HD moved to SSF and bought a really nice lot and building just north of SFO about 25 years ago. The city gave them $300K in fee discounts to relocate from SF because they wanted the sales tax revenue. SF-HD spent a lot of money fixing up the building that they moved into. I thought they were still there. I bet they sold their building and made a huge bunch of money as property in that area is now very expensive, especially a few years ago. A friend of mine owns several Harleys and he told me a few years ago that they were still there. But apparently things have changed. I will have to let him know of the new location. I didn't see the LiveWire One advertised for sale on their website.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2022, 11:49:00 PM »

But apparently things have changed. I will have to let him know of the new location. I didn't see the LiveWire One advertised for sale on their website.  ???
Perhaps they do not stock it, but I assume it may be ordered from there.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2022, 03:26:20 AM »

But apparently things have changed. I will have to let him know of the new location. I didn't see the LiveWire One advertised for sale on their website.  ???
Perhaps they do not stock it, but I assume it may be ordered from there.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I was thinking the same thing, although I thought H-D was trying to keep the LiveWire One business separated from the H-D dealers, who don't really seem into electric motorcycles.  ???  If you buy it from an H-D dealership and need servicing or warranty work, would they have anyone on the staff that could assist you? It seems doubtful, especially in how they dealt with Buell owners that had problems in the past.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2022, 05:29:12 AM »

I was thinking the same thing, although I thought H-D was trying to keep the LiveWire One business separated from the H-D dealers, who don't really seem into electric motorcycles.  ???  If you buy it from an H-D dealership and need servicing or warranty work, would they have anyone on the staff that could assist you? It seems doubtful, especially in how they dealt with Buell owners that had problems in the past.
I think even HD had the issue with the first HD LW. Many HD shops NEVER sold the LW. Carson City, NV and in Tucson, AZ and many other authorized HD dealers did NOT sell the original LW. it was not possible to buy the LW at those HD shops and many others and also neither place had a charge station. I doubt it could even be ordered from those HD shops, but I am not sure about that.

I have wondered if they didn't have anybody who was trained to work on them or if there were other reasons, such as not enough bikes to go around to all the many HD dealers.

Now that many HD dealers have CCS chargers, I would think at least those would be selling the LW1. At least if they have somebody in their service shop who has been trained to work on them.

Many still have a CCS station at Harley dealers, those are the HD dealers I would expect would sell the LW1.

That some HD shops sell brands others do not is nothing new. In fact, when I purchased my Energica in Mt. View, I was NOT able to even do the paperwork for the sale in their Livermore shop. The Livermore shop was NOT authorized to deal with the Energica until they took it over when the shop in Mtn View closed down.

So, IMO, it is no surprise that some HD shops will sell the LW1 but others will not.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2022, 07:06:20 PM »

I have to give it to the guy he knows how to work his marketing.  When he puts out wrong info and people comment to correct him it drives up his YT algorithm.  I mean if I had a $ for every review where they act like you can get both a charge tank and a power tank at the same time on a Zero I'd be a very rich man.

It's hard to tell if rider weight effected it that much or if the known fact that Zeros start to drop your power at lower SOC while the Livewire keeps it up until it's mostly dead.
They swapped bikes and I noticed the Zero wasted the LW in every drag after a couple of seconds either way, so sort of the opposite of the headline. He truly is a clever marketing guy.

Cas :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 09:11:28 PM »

The Noob did another video comparing the range between the LiveWire and the Zero SR/F. Personally, I don't care for his presentation and I really don't like that they ride like "squids" during the trip. I don't think it was a very scientific comparison, especially as for some reason they could not charge the Zero more than an SOC of 93%, perhaps because its OBC is failing. Naturally, the LiveWire traveled farther than did the Zero, plus the comments seemed to me to be heavily biased toward the LiveWire at the end of the comparison. Anyway, here is a link to the video should you be interested in seeing how they compared the two bikes and hearing what the Noob has to say about the two electric motorcycles at the end of the clip: 

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2022, 09:24:27 PM »

I am not watching it but is he a bicycle guy,  look at the muscle groups above the knee.

How does someone decide which to get if they intend on getting a bike like this.  The Zero is a lower rpm motor, direct drive and looks to be a tube chasis.  The Livewire is a high rpm motor reduction gear and the chasis is cast aluminum which sort of looks like square tube.  Would not the Zero gen 3 bike without the fairing be a better comparison?  The Zero does have more suspention travel doesn't it?

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 10:56:29 PM »

I did watch the video and I strongly suspect that the Zero was suffering some good old magic charging. Would love to have seen followup of, "hey we pulled off the road at 5% and towed it back to the shop where it's suddenly reading 30%?"

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2022, 03:25:22 AM »

The range comparison between the two bikes wasn't helped any by the LiveWire being fully charged and the Zero only being charged to 93% before they too off. Since the LW was provided by H-D and the Zero was sourced from (apparently) a non-Zero dealer, it likely was kind of tired and not in the best of condition compared with the LW, which probably was detailed before being provided to the Noob.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2022, 07:35:26 PM »

That SRS is a bike that Euro Cycles in LV have been trying to sell for a while.  Bur Harley gave them the Livewire to test so that was going to be the winner no matter what.  Just in the footage they show you see him goosing and letting off the throttle on the SRS while the other guy is steady.  The Zero not charging to 100% is a situation I'm not even sure has been mentioned as part of the Magic Charging issue.

I think a real test would show them pretty much equal with the SRS areo fairings and the LW having a slightly bigger battery.
Pages: 1 [2]