• May 05, 2024, 08:59:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Del Mar Livewire first ride video and write up on Electrek  (Read 1179 times)

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Del Mar Livewire first ride video and write up on Electrek
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 09:51:02 PM »

Looks like LiveWire is attempting to encroach on Zero's performance commuter section of the market, somewhere in the S to SR range.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 10:19:23 PM »

Do you think they (livewire co in this case) provide the reviewer the owners manual to read.

A lot missing here, traction control or lack of. 

How about this quote 
"Based on the 110-mile city range offered by the company, and the Level 2 recharge time from 20 to 80% in 75 minutes, I’d wager that the battery will fall in the 9.5 to 10.5 kWh range. But that’s just an educated guess at this point."

1.25 hours for a 60% charge not following how he gets the capacity but if I use 10kwh then it charges at 4.8kw  which would be almost twice my ktm freeride.

So Livewire beats Damon to the moto journalist Micah Toll with the first bike with a bolt on steering head.

Nairb

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 11:09:11 PM by Nairb »

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 11:21:09 PM »

I don't see that number being officially published anywhere. This could VERY easily be motorcycle.com taking Micah's guess and publishing it as fact which screws everything up. I would be wary of that until LiveWire posts specs themselves or one of the articles cites a source.

Nairb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 11:33:00 PM »

It appears to be the wording from the official press release, also seen here:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220927005327/en/

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 01:47:00 AM »

Do you think they (livewire co in this case) provide the reviewer the owners manual to read.

How about this quote 
"Based on the 110-mile city range offered by the company, and the Level 2 recharge time from 20 to 80% in 75 minutes, I’d wager that the battery will fall in the 9.5 to 10.5 kWh range. But that’s just an educated guess at this point."

1.25 hours for a 60% charge not following how he gets the capacity but if I use 10kwh then it charges at 4.8kw  which would be almost twice my ktm freeride.

So Livewire beats Damon to the moto journalist Micah Toll with the first bike with a bolt on steering head.

I'm sure they invited him to just check it out and go for a test ride. Since the official stats are not released, he's probably on a press embargo/NDA and has to make 'educated guesses' despite knowing the truth.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 05:42:12 AM »

I enjoyed the article and video. I do wish he would share first impressions of a bike and then provide an overview of the experience. My personal opinion is, the price point is a bit high for the bikes spec sheet and it's intended use case. Hopefully I will get a chance to demo one at some point, looks like a fun ride.

Normally a manufacture provides a packet with stock photos and technical information about the bike being tested.
Since a full spec sheet for the Del Mar has not been released yet, I doubt Harley would provide Micah information about the bike that could not be publicly shared. 

The photo in the link below shows both TC and ABS icons on the dash of the Del Mar. If Harley wants to sell the bike in Europe TC and ABS are required as part of the Euro5 standard.
https://www.motorcycle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/051022-2023-livewire-s2-del-mar-display-and-app.png

I think that Micah's estimate that the pack size would be between 9.5 and 10.5 kWh. If you use Harley's claimed 110 mile city (SAE J2982) range and the efficiency (wh/mi) of a Zero SR the result is a theoretical pack size of 9.7 kWh.

Zero SR   
Weight   419 lbs
Range (City)   163 miles
Battery size   14.4kWh
Wh/mi   88.34   = 14400 / 163

Harley Del Mar   
Weight   431 lbs
Range (City)   110 miles
Wh/mi   88.34 (taken from Zero SR)
88.34 = x / 110 = Battery size (kWh) =  9.72

Using that battery size and the claimed 75 min charge time from 20-80% the onboard charger should be rated at ~ 4.5 kWh
9.72 / 4.5 = 2.16 * 60% = 78 minutes

Pages: [1]