• May 05, 2024, 05:00:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Better Cells faster charging. Anyone want 6C?  (Read 2726 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Better Cells faster charging. Anyone want 6C?
« on: October 02, 2022, 07:22:31 PM »

From Fully Charged comes a look at GAC Aion a Chinese car brand who is showing off their 3C cells and claiming their 6C cells are almost ready.

So the current standard charging rate is 1C which is why most EVs go from 0-85ish% in, you guessed it, 1 hour.  Balance time and throttle back points aside.     

If we take, in theory, a 20kWh pack with 6C cells and have a 120kw charging station then you could recharge in 6 minutes. 

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Better Cells faster charging. Anyone want 6C?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 07:37:13 PM »

I was curious what current vehicles can do, unless I'm messing something up it seems like a Taycan can already do nearly 3C and an Ioniq 5 can do 4.5C.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 08:56:55 PM »

I've not seen anything else do 30-80 in 10 mins.  If you have some video of that I'd be interested in seeing it.

I know the Audi E Tron had a setup that wouldn't give the owner access to below 20% or above 80% of the true battery so when you charge up the shown 0-100 has no cut back to simulate a gas pump style steady speed.  Of course you paid for 40% of battery you could never use.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 10:12:41 PM »

6C describes a 10 minute charge, not 6 minute. It's 60/X = charge time where X is your C rating value. 1C = 60, 2C = 30, 3C = 20, 4C = 15, 5C = 12, 6C = 10, etc.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 10:19:41 PM »

I'm just going off the specs:

Taycan - 93.4kW/h at 270kW = 2.9C (there's also a lower capacity model that would be 3.4C if it can also do 270kW)
Ioniq 5 - 77.4kW/h at 350kW = 4.5C (likewise they also have a lower capacity model, however they spec the same charge time at a 350kW station)

Hyundai also say 18 minutes to 80%, assuming that's from 0% then maybe 30-80% is possible in 10 minutes or close to it.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 10:58:41 PM »

Morgan you are right I thought it was 6 X the batteries Capacity but it's set to time instead.  I guess I could wait 4 more minutes.

The car in the video had their 3C cells and charged 30-80 in 10mins which should make there 6C about 5min and their hinted at 12C in maybe 2-3 mins.   

Very much game changing for EVs and game ending for gas.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 03:17:01 AM »

But where can you find a charging station that will charge that fast? And if it uses a battery storage system as a buffer, how long with that battery take to recover so that it is ready for the next charge?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 03:48:57 AM »

There's quite a few >100kW stations popping up around the UK. In generally boring places mind.

Cas :)

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 06:53:32 AM »

In my neck of the woods when a company like Electrify America installs a bank of stations there will be 2 150kW stations and 2 high power 350kW stations. If you look on their site or get their email updates they're SUPER EXCITED because they have this AMAZING NEW PLAN to highlight and make it obvious which are the high powered stations. Hold your breath, people. Wait for it. Are you ready?

STICKERS.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 11:26:08 AM »

But where can you find a charging station that will charge that fast?
Is 350 KW CCS fast enough?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ozzy39

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 03:13:23 PM »

From Fully Charged comes a look at GAC Aion a Chinese car brand who is showing off their 3C cells and claiming their 6C cells are almost ready.

So the current standard charging rate is 1C which is why most EVs go from 0-85ish% in, you guessed it, 1 hour.  Balance time and throttle back points aside.     

If we take, in theory, a 20kWh pack with 6C cells and have a 120kw charging station then you could recharge in 6 minutes. 

truly impressive, and the idea of faster charging times is certainly exciting. The GAC Aion's 6C cells, if they live up to their potential, could revolutionize the way we charge our EVs. The ability to recharge a 20kWh pack in just 6 minutes would be a game changer, making long distance travel much more convenient and feasible.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 02:11:50 AM »

But where can you find a charging station that will charge that fast? And if it uses a battery storage system as a buffer, how long with that battery take to recover so that it is ready for the next charge?

I have actually been looking into these and asking questions about it etc.
This all depends on many variables, and many user settings.
It of course depends on how much power you can put INTO the thing.  If you can feed it 480 vac at 1000 amps then it'll scream on a recharge possibly even a charge.  If you can only supply it with 240 mains at 100 amp or so, then do the math on how much you just took out to charge the last vehicle.

They also offer options of internal battery recharge based on tou or load shaving or limiting intake to xx amps.

So to kind of answer your question, if you can feed it  hot enough, you may not even need to really touch the internal battery, if you can't then it may charge a few vehicles then take the rest of the day to charge up the rest of them at 240 vac / 100 amp input.

Currently I am looking for a DC fast charger that I can put in my house, or possibly even other means' on it, however for even a starting one of 24 kw, that will take 240 volt input at 100 amp for 24 kilowatt charging capability.. you are looking at 10 grand starting price.   Which, I guess if you  just spent 25 on a bike, then it's not too HORRIBLY expensive but I still had to say ugh on that.

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 06:34:36 PM »

Sorry for all the necromancer posts, but I'm relatively new to the forum.

any whoooo....

Does anyone know the specs on the Super 73 C1X? It's a small pack but they did a CCS demonstration of 10%-80% in 15 minutes.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 10:38:27 PM »

The overall question is, at what price?

They ALL can take a charge that fast, honestly.... but at what price?

Heat is the limiting factor, if you can keep the heat down then you can charge harder.  GE uses a scheme on their LCI's that has water flowing thru the core of the Xformer and around the main power SCR's to keep the temps down. But anyways.,

Batteries are a chemistry thing.  How many times can you re arrange the atoms on that sheet of plate.. before it's trashed?

Oh hey look I got an RC car battery that can do 150 C !!  that bitch will charge up in about 3 minutes !!.  Now, you have to store it in a special bag in case it goes poof because of the stress you put it under doing that, and is only good for about 50 runs or so before it's degrading badly.

I have also seen a lot of chatter about some 'just around the corner' sodium cells that are like 6x more powerful, 4x higher current capacity and like half the size and weight.  There are other chemistries out there too that they say are 'promising'

They also have ON the market now, Id call them Capacitor batteries.  It's a HUGE farad valued capacitor that can put out 10 KW hour of stored energy.  Can push like 400 amps thru it and they say last a million cycles!  A bit heavy and expensive tho, BUT on a semi, this would be kind of a moot point sort of.  What is the dielectric strength tho, can it handle 400 - 600, and I think some of the Chevy's are looking at even around an 840 volt bus in the future!!

The C rate is just one of the MANY specs that make up a battery, a battery pack, AND a power train, and it is NOT the most important aspect either!  They make it popular so they can yap the buzz words and the the sheeple all excited but it's just one tiny slice of the product.

Like with projectors / video back in the day.  OOOohhh it's 1080 P !!!!      HERE TAKE MY MONEY I WANT IT !!!!.... well, what's the bandwidth it can handle?  huh?  yah,  go away.  Today 4k is the magic number and Ive seen some 8k stuff being demo'd..  but the bottom line is, you really need to know the rest of the things specs to see if it's actually a good product or not.

Maybe someone comes out with a hybrid of caps and batteries.,  When you romp on it, the caps give you your 50c for the ten seconds you  need to get up to where you need, then the batteries take over at a normal rate to keep you at cruising speed, and to recharge the cap for the next hot run..... possibilities all over.

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 12:12:45 AM »

Sorry for all the necromancer posts, but I'm relatively new to the forum.

any whoooo....

Does anyone know the specs on the Super 73 C1X? It's a small pack but they did a CCS demonstration of 10%-80% in 15 minutes.

The specs aren't finalized. That is to say they haven't settled on the pack design. The video you saw was VERY MUCH a tech demo which is why it used CHADEMO; that tiny demo pack was below 200vdc and very much a proof of concept. The plan is to use CCS and they definitely plan to do 3C charging, but they're still making decisions. What I do know is that having the bike both be capable of sustained 75mph in LA freeway traffic and being able to charge to 80% in 15 minutes is essential in the eyes of the CEO. If he can't get the bike to do those benchmarks he will scrap the project.

Should also note that he's an electric motorcyclist himself, having previously owned a Zero S, Energica EVA107, and a Ribelle.
Pages: [1] 2