• May 06, 2024, 01:23:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Riding in a snowstorm on a LiveWire  (Read 601 times)

ADVENTURESonZERO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Riding in a snowstorm on a LiveWire
« on: January 17, 2024, 05:13:07 PM »

I did not enjoy this  :D

princec

• View Profile
Re: Riding in a snowstorm on a LiveWire
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 05:46:41 PM »

You're nuts!

but then again ... been there myself a couple of times. Luckily didn't fall off (was quite a few years ago now since I last rode in snow).

Cas :)

Electrobike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 07:29:21 PM »

AH ! AH ! AH ! Nice video ! It did bring back some memories of mine !

I guess every biker has to experience it at least once ... to really understand you don't want a second time  ;D
Zero S 2019
Please excuse my bad english, not my natural language ;)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 08:17:31 PM »

Ok, unless you are just an idiot, which you don't seem to be.  Or an attention starved Z-Tard, which again you don't seem to be, or you got trapped by a surprise storm, or had NO alternative.

WHY?

Just, WHY would you do this?  The down on the ground outcome is pretty much a given.

At least with the livewire you have a chance of picking it up by yourself.  A bigger / heavier bike like the Energica, not so much.

Bruh,  a few 'Likes' on YT for a video proving to the world how stupid you are, is NOT worth your life son.  Please, don't be doing shit like this, it's simply NOT worth all that can go wrong.  If you can't get to the road, the ambulance can't get to YOU either.  Think on that for a minute.

also, from what I remember, the 12 volt battery is a Lead Acid.  Get yourself one of those battery tenders, plug the bitch in and leave it plugged in.  It wont hurt the battery at all, in fact LA chem, actually LOVES being topped / floated.  This way your battery is nice and fully charged for you on your trip and you don't have to worry about stupid shit OR having to lug your charger with you all over the place. 

Be safe, not a 5 minute 'hero' on Fakebook, Twatter, or Tictard.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 08:27:21 PM »

YouTube click-bait?  Why else would you ride a motorcycle in that kind of weather unless you really had to?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 08:51:48 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ADVENTURESonZERO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 12:14:36 AM »

Ok, unless you are just an idiot, which you don't seem to be.  Or an attention starved Z-Tard, which again you don't seem to be, or you got trapped by a surprise storm, or had NO alternative.

WHY?

Just, WHY would you do this?  The down on the ground outcome is pretty much a given.

At least with the livewire you have a chance of picking it up by yourself.  A bigger / heavier bike like the Energica, not so much.

Bruh,  a few 'Likes' on YT for a video proving to the world how stupid you are, is NOT worth your life son.  Please, don't be doing shit like this, it's simply NOT worth all that can go wrong.  If you can't get to the road, the ambulance can't get to YOU either.  Think on that for a minute.

also, from what I remember, the 12 volt battery is a Lead Acid.  Get yourself one of those battery tenders, plug the bitch in and leave it plugged in.  It wont hurt the battery at all, in fact LA chem, actually LOVES being topped / floated.  This way your battery is nice and fully charged for you on your trip and you don't have to worry about stupid shit OR having to lug your charger with you all over the place. 

Be safe, not a 5 minute 'hero' on Fakebook, Twatter, or Tictard.

Aaron

Ok, here are the facts since these types of comments are a dime a dozen - and not one of them asks any questions before casting judgement. Your immediate assessment, is wrong.

I left that morning around 10am - the weather forecast was that snow would stop around 11am and had a 35% chance of snow in the evening around 5 or 6pm. The temps were not to drop below freezing until 9pm. I called ahead to my dealer and asked if the weather was bad, reported they only had a few sprinkles in the morning, but nothing since. The trip would have only taken me maybe 3-4 hours to complete, and that's if I really took my time, average is 3 hours. I departed.

When I got to Roanoke, snow was still pretty light and not threatening as it was not really sticking to the ground, and temps were still above 37°F -  by all accounts still safe to ride. That's when the 12v issue started, thankfully I was still able to level 3 charge the bike even though I had a 12v error. I took the battery out, put it on a trickle charger for an hour, but still didn't work.

That's when I called an Uber to return the parts and see if my dealer had any spare 12v lithium ion batteries - they didn't . One of the techs gave me a spare tool kit (one in the video) and I caught another Uber back to the bike (VW dealership).

Now this dealership was very pro-EV, and the lead service manager let me park the bike in the warming bay. This was now around 2-3pm, and the snow was starting to pick up (against weather predictions). At this point, I was still hopeful that I could make it home - and that's all I wanted to do, get home. I could give two fucks about subscribers, views, likes etc - so please don't apply this thinking that every person making videos is after these metrics. I just enjoy riding and telling stories through my videos - something I've done since a child.

When I hit the central highlands, between Roanoke and Lexington, that's when the conditions got really bad. Unfortunately there really isn't anything out there. There is one hotel near Natural Bridge, however it was shut. Emergency crews were dispatched in the whole valley, and towing crews were picking up cars constantly (many drove by me with cars on the backs). So let me assure you that had I another choice in the matter, I would have stopped. However stopping would have meant that now I"m just sitting out in the cold. Riding, I can at least make progress to get home, of which I was supposed to pick up my daughter that evening and dinner was waiting on me.

I think anyone can appreciate the feeling of just wanting to get home - especially after trying to unfuck the 12v battery and get back on the road. Next time you cast judgement at someone, at least put yourself in their shoes - I don't think anyone would have done anything differently were they in my shoes. I made decisions with the info I had at the time I made those decisions - sometimes things go unexpectedly wrong and you have to adapt. Thankfully as the conditions worsened, I slow my rate of movement and was going relatively slow when I fell. I was wearing full technical gear from head to toe, and felt nothing on impact. My shoulder was sore the day after, but something akin to working out - some slight superficial bruising from the D3O armor, but otherwise perfectly fine.

willbrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 01:19:03 AM »

Glad you're alright!  I admit to having get-there-itis a few times too, and sometimes have had to ride in the snow.  It looks like it was slush where you were, and that's a lot worse than hard-packed snow.  Do you know what the 12V issue was?
1980 Honda CT110
1981 Honda CM400
1995 Ducati 900SS
2020 Zero SR/F Seabright Blue Standard
I am a Zero Motorcycles employee, but I speak only for myself

ADVENTURESonZERO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 01:37:54 AM »

Glad you're alright!  I admit to having get-there-itis a few times too, and sometimes have had to ride in the snow.  It looks like it was slush where you were, and that's a lot worse than hard-packed snow.  Do you know what the 12V issue was?

Yeah, as I stated in the video, I think the voltage was already low because I hadn't ridden the bike in over 2 months. Because I plugged in my heated gear as soon as I got on in the morning, the bike just didn't get to recharge it back up to good levels. Had I wanted maybe 10 mins after starting to plug in, it might have been ok. Going forward, if I'm not going to ride a bike for more than 30 days, I'll just leave it on a tender.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 02:18:42 AM »

How hefty is the 12 volt charger on the bike?  Is it only a few amps to basically keep up with lights on the battery or can it put some real power, like 8 to 10 amp.  If it's only a few it'll never really be able to keep up with your 12 volt demands when gloves, butt warmers etc start wanting 100 watts or so.  Batteries are going to suck anyways when it's that cold, especially the LIons, so if the charger is not able to keep up it's done a lot faster.  You can get  like a 5 ah block battery that can easily sneak into a cubby hole, a mesh weave on a bag etc.  putting a second battery on it in parallel that you can use as a boost in times of need like that can make the difference between a safe trip and getting stuck somewhere for hours or overnight.

It's kind of sleazy but one of those pocket car jumpers would work too for a emergency.  No you are not jamming it for 500 amp to jump something, but it probably has 5 to 10 ah packed into it that'll basically be like a second battery.  Maybe hide it under the seat with a quick home made clip to go from power out to clamp into the battery terminals.  Your garage looks like you got the tools to make stuff like that :D

Aaron

ADVENTURESonZERO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 04:59:19 AM »

How hefty is the 12 volt charger on the bike?  Is it only a few amps to basically keep up with lights on the battery or can it put some real power, like 8 to 10 amp.  If it's only a few it'll never really be able to keep up with your 12 volt demands when gloves, butt warmers etc start wanting 100 watts or so.  Batteries are going to suck anyways when it's that cold, especially the LIons, so if the charger is not able to keep up it's done a lot faster.  You can get  like a 5 ah block battery that can easily sneak into a cubby hole, a mesh weave on a bag etc.  putting a second battery on it in parallel that you can use as a boost in times of need like that can make the difference between a safe trip and getting stuck somewhere for hours or overnight.

It's kind of sleazy but one of those pocket car jumpers would work too for a emergency.  No you are not jamming it for 500 amp to jump something, but it probably has 5 to 10 ah packed into it that'll basically be like a second battery.  Maybe hide it under the seat with a quick home made clip to go from power out to clamp into the battery terminals.  Your garage looks like you got the tools to make stuff like that :D

Aaron

I don't know what the exact draw is from the bike, but you are allowed up to 10amps from the P&A plug under the seat (same as the LW1). I think it was the combination of the 12v already being at the precipice of low voltage, then me heating up my gear. The cold is also a consideration. I'm passing info along to LiveWire, they know what gear I'm using so I suspect they will do their own internal testing to see if there is something that can be done to resolve it (or just advise owners how to prevent it).

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 06:13:30 AM »

Each piece of electric clothing should have a wattage rating on it.  FWIW  100 watts will be about 10 amps.  A battery that will last an hour will be about the size of a brick.  10 amps might be a slow drain on it, if your bike is charging it when you run, but if you leave the bike on when you parked, it should keep charging the 12 volt back up then right? from the main??  Does the bike charge the 12 volt up from it's big battery?   Being the battery was lithium, at that temp it was probably running  at about 20 percent capacity if that.

Next time wait for the snow plow guy, tie yourself to the plow and let him tow you behind him, spinning the wheel regenning the bike back up to full charge :D  and hope he don't see you and turn the salt on  >:(

Aaron

ADVENTURESonZERO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 06:36:43 AM »

Each piece of electric clothing should have a wattage rating on it.  FWIW  100 watts will be about 10 amps.  A battery that will last an hour will be about the size of a brick.  10 amps might be a slow drain on it, if your bike is charging it when you run, but if you leave the bike on when you parked, it should keep charging the 12 volt back up then right? from the main??  Does the bike charge the 12 volt up from it's big battery?   Being the battery was lithium, at that temp it was probably running  at about 20 percent capacity if that.

Next time wait for the snow plow guy, tie yourself to the plow and let him tow you behind him, spinning the wheel regenning the bike back up to full charge :D  and hope he don't see you and turn the salt on  >:(

Aaron
max draw from the heated gear is 8amps at full power. My phone is also drawing power, but I'm certain the LW USB-C port can only output 300mAH. The bike has a maintenance charger, however I don't know the system it uses to generate power to it - could be from main pack, could be from something else.
Pages: [1]