• May 05, 2024, 04:13:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2016 Zero SR Sustained Top Speed?  (Read 3248 times)

grmarks

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Zero SR Sustained Top Speed?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 08:27:36 AM »

I did ride an SR.  I also rode the DSR and it wasn't quite my thing.  Too tall and wobbly because of the tires.  I did like the idea that I could push over curbs with ease on it, but I just don't see myself doing that all too often.

Why bother with a DSR if its not your thing. The SR gets slightly better range so just go with it.
Harlan is well known at Zero and I believe is the reason we have an SR in the Zero range (he did it first).

Why didn't you get over 90mph on your test ride? Bike would not do it or no place to do it?

cic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 09:36:49 PM »

Why didn't you get over 90mph on your test ride? Bike would not do it or no place to do it?
[/quote]

The test drive route and traffic didn't really allow for it.  I grazed it, so I know it gets there.  I just wasn't able to hold it.  Also the battery was fully charged.  I really just want to know if I can hold high speeds for long periods, notwithstanding the battery drain rate.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 10:03:02 PM »

If you do a 28/98 gear swap for the love of all things motorcycle only use a belt tension of 45kN and nothing lower. (this is true with any 28 front on size six zero's)

If you do anything lower it will strip the teeth from the belt ... ask me how I know :D

Also ... I had bearing issues in my motor which I couldn't track down to a root cause ... it could have been the fact the belt tension was high or it could have been something else. I had about 10k on the bike when it started to give me issues so be warned ;)

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 10:08:36 PM »

The test drive route and traffic didn't really allow for it.  I grazed it, so I know it gets there.  I just wasn't able to hold it.  Also the battery was fully charged.  I really just want to know if I can hold high speeds for long periods, notwithstanding the battery drain rate.

From SF Moto? I am totally not surprised. I took a group test ride from there and spent most of my attention on the group safety aspect.

Anyway, I have a 16 and have run it at 90 for a bit, but would need clear traffic on a major highway on a hot day to test this. The 16 SR/DSR both have IPM motors that should not reduce output based on motor temperature. I can say that the motor temperature does not climb very much at sustained highway speeds.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 11:34:17 PM »

Brian you have a 2016 DSR right?  That has a 28/130 gear and a top speed of 98 mph with 90 mph sustained.  The SR has a gearing of 30/130 and  so a top speed of 102 and 95 mph sustained.

And Burton I'm fairly certain your motor bearing failure was due to aftermarket ceramic bearings that might offer less friction due to amazing smoothness and hardness for racing but aren't as durable long term.  I had a 28/98 setup and my newer 2013 design motor (on my 2012 Zero) has gone tens of thousands of miles and runs like it is brand new.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 12:43:00 AM »

And Burton I'm fairly certain your motor bearing failure was due to aftermarket ceramic bearings that might offer less friction due to amazing smoothness and hardness for racing but aren't as durable long term.  I had a 28/98 setup and my newer 2013 design motor (on my 2012 Zero) has gone tens of thousands of miles and runs like it is brand new.

Good to know sir as I still have a 28 laying around I have been debating using when I get streamlined more so I can drop my 70mph cruising rpm back down. (and of course test this empirically against the stock SR front) What belt tension do you run?

Thinking about it I have a 28 30 130 and 98 at home right now lol
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 07:54:13 AM »

Brian you have a 2016 DSR right?  That has a 28/130 gear and a top speed of 98 mph with 90 mph sustained.  The SR has a gearing of 30/130 and  so a top speed of 102 and 95 mph sustained.

The DSR tire is 130/80/17, which is about 2% taller than the 140/70/17 on the SR. This will slightly reduce the gearing advantage from the 28 tooth front.

With the tire difference, the DSR is geared about 5% higher than the SR and should accelerate to 60 a bit faster. Yet Zero claims 3.9s for the DSR, where they claim 3.3s still for the SR.

Off-topic alert:

In various third-party instrumented reviews, the SR has tested as significantly slower (with an American-sized rider) than Zero's claims. I wonder if the DSR's performance claims are closer to the actual performance, and Zero simply can't/won't adjust the SR spec to a more accurate number (to avoid negative press over "lower" performance).

Has anyone run a DSR against a SR to see which accelerates harder? I've ridden a SR alongside a DSR but I didn't think to do a full acceleration test.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 09:24:47 AM »

In various third-party instrumented reviews, the SR has tested as significantly slower (with an American-sized rider) than Zero's claims.

Of course it does. The weight of the load makes a difference even in a car. Add 20kg (power tank) and the SR goes back to 3.9 0-60 mph.
I think I read somewhere that the 0-60 mph was with a 70kg (or 70 something) rider. Most of us guys are heavier than that so we will never get 3.3.

Eolas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »

I live in SoCal, my commute is ~25 miles, and I typically am going 80-90mph for most of it.  I usually get to work with ~65% power left, and then I recharge and repeat for the ride home. :)
Pages: 1 [2]