• May 10, 2024, 03:08:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Check out this YOU TUBE VID titled Zero electic motorcycle Tesla upgrade  (Read 1911 times)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Check out this YOU TUBE VID titled Zero electic motorcycle Tesla upgrade
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »

Here's the link: 

Claims "300 mile range" while "doing over hundred miles an hour 90% of the time".  Hmmm, can't be the original controller or motor (stock specs=67mph max), but he didn't mention changing those.   Seems fishy, wouldn't he need something like 50+kWH to pull that off?

Anyway, very interesting, cool video.

Very nice job assembling the battery. I hope it doesn't heat up too much.

Each "sheet" of his 18650 pack is 16 x 11 cells, he has 4 sheets. I assume the 16 cells are in series, the 11 cells are wired up in parallel, and the sheets are wired up in parallel. That gives him 16s44p, at 3400 mah (approximate) that gives about 59V and 150 Ah, or about 8.9 kWh (nominal). A bit more than the 2012 ZF9, and the pack is much smaller and lighter! (cell weight = 32 kg, enclosure and BMS and wires and whatnot probably add < 10 kg. The ZF9 pack weighs 69kg including the enclosure.

The 16 batteries in series is slightly concerning, since the stock BMS I assume only supports the stock 14 cells in series. Maybe he replaced the BMS too, or maybe he wired up the pack in a funky configuration. The controller and motor can handle the extra voltage, that's not a problem.

As for 150 miles at highway speeds 90% of the time at 100 mph? Unless there's something he's not telling us, like he's got a super-streamlined body shell .. I'm going to call BS on that :)

Guys -

I need a serious course on Zero battery topology and BMS configuration.  I've been trying to search the Forum for specifics, getting nowhere.  I'm specifically interested in the 2011 Zero S battery pack .... thought I saw somewhere that it was 14s12p, which works out to 168 individual cells at ~ 3.9vdc/cell = ~ 56vdc/pack  ...... but then I saw a 336 cell count on another thread.  I'm confused ......

And then there is the matter of the BMS ...... does this system monitor EVERY cell in the pack (ideal) or just each series string?  I ask because the thread about the 7 Nissan Leaf Module Retrofit  inplies that the stock BMS can be retained.  I can only see 14 BMS sense connections with 7 of these modules, unless one hacks into the module to bring out individual cell connections.  I know I'm missing something here; does the BMS only balance the series interconnections, but treat cells in parallel as a monolithic cell?
I'm not certain but I think that's correct; the parallel cells are balanced together, there aren't individual cell connections.

In my notes I had:
2010S is 14s22p 2900 mAh cells, 3.8v per cell = 53.2v 63.8 Ah nominal (3.4 kWh). 308 cells.
2011S is 14s25p 2900 mAh cells, 3.8v per cell = 53.2v 67.5 Ah nominal (3.9 kWh). 350 cells.

But I think you are probably right, I see other sources on the internet that state 14s24p (336 cells) for the 2011. So I need to check my numbers.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »

^^^^ exactly!!!
Yes for the older bikes 1 senstaps goes to the row of cells.... Sketchy
It's much safer to have a sense tap on each cell then the be can actually do its job, not just think it's doing its job.

So yes it balances rows at a time not cells at a time

Burton I've had many in depth conversations about using farrisas cells the problem is you need a really good step down to get the voltage back down from the 116 range
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

drumgadget

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »

Does there exist an actual schematic diagram of the battery/bms for these older Zeros?  Anything would be of help here ..... I have a lot of experience with electronics, but not much with multi-cell series/parallel battery packs ..... particularly Li chemistry.

Mike
Pages: 1 [2]