• May 07, 2024, 10:58:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 2012 S ZF9 firmware lastest updated vs PERFORMANCES vs Glitch  (Read 4940 times)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: 2012 S ZF9 firmware lastest updated vs PERFORMANCES vs Glitch
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2013, 06:18:06 AM »

My DS ZF9 is #135. I did 5,000 miles last year but only a meager 1,000 this year since I got the glitch. I need to finally ride my bike to the service but I am not sure how to demonstrate the glitch to them.

Ask your dealer to contact the service department of Zero, they know about it. They will require  to return the motor for some servicing. Your dealer labor time for dissassembling and reassembling the motor  can be refunded i think by Zero but they have to ask

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »

I didn't receive a service bulletin - is this for all 2012 S bikes? The increased motor RPM/power sounds interesting. I sent an email to Zero asking about this update, but didn't receive a reply. I sent an email to the dealership and they didn't know about it (but promised to look into it). My bike is still under warranty for a couple months - I wonder why I didn't receive any notice about this update.
I did have the 'glitch' issue addressed when I first got the bike (almost 2 years ago) and it's only happened once since then, but the software fix did not affect performance. Curious.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »

I didn't receive a service bulletin - is this for all 2012 S bikes? The increased motor RPM/power sounds interesting. I sent an email to Zero asking about this update, but didn't receive a reply. I sent an email to the dealership and they didn't know about it (but promised to look into it). My bike is still under warranty for a couple months - I wonder why I didn't receive any notice about this update.
I did have the 'glitch' issue addressed when I first got the bike (almost 2 years ago) and it's only happened once since then, but the software fix did not affect performance. Curious.

I have the same observations.  The last time my bike received a programming update was during the summer of 2012 (the "glitch fix") and I haven't heard a thing about any further updates from either Zero or my dealer.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 10:22:57 PM »

Mine 2012-ZF9S has literally just come out of an upgrade for the glitch.
I know for certain they replaced the motor, but I believe the MBB was meant to have been reprogrammed as well.
Once I get an idea of the work Zero did, I'll let you guys know.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »

I received an email reply from the dealership stating, "We haven’t done this update on your bike yet. I’m wide open the week after next (28th).  Just let me know."

So, I'll bring the bike in as soon as I can.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »

The Controller firmware update is done on my bike but not the BMS and waterproofing.
 I still get the motor glitch and i'm 100% sure the problem  is the motor.

I also have few month lefdt for the warranty but i had explained to Zero that i will send the motor for repair at the end of the season ( with in the next weeks) for the repair.

I could do the fix myself but i perffer keeping the warranty active...

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »

Having chatted to the dealership, the recent upgrades to my bike were:
* New motor to replace the (faulty / incorrectly potted) position sensor.
* Improved waterproofing on the Battery Pack. (Just as winter sets in, useful!)
* Re-flashed the MBB.

Picking it up this Saturday. Riding the 2013DS has been fun, but I'm excited about getting my ZF9 back...  ;D
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

ivaniclixx

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 09:26:15 PM »

Hi everybody,

My VIN ends in 060, I think. I live in Barcelona and i bought my second hand S ZF9 directly from a dealership.
The thing is, they are so stupid that i don't even wanted to go for anual service.
Now, after 11100 Km (about 7000mi) I had my first glitch. It happened at an stop; i twisted the accel. and... nothing.
No display warnings. I just had to restart the bike and everything worked perfectly again...

I am now starting to be a bit scared every time i stop the bike... I just don't feel any confidence like before, and
i am afraid that my warranty has void since i didn't do the anual check & firmware update.

I hope some crazy freak will come out with a homemade way of flashing our Zeros in the future, so if finally Zero M. releases a final firmware that solves those problems i could flash it.

Good luck all.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:28:55 PM by ivaniclixx »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »

Hi everybody,

My VIN ends in 060, I think. I live in Barcelona and i bought my second hand S ZF9 directly from a dealership.
The thing is, they are so stupid that i don't even wanted to go for anual service.
Now, after 11100 Km (about 7000mi) I had my first glitch. It happened at an stop; i twisted the accel. and... nothing.
No display warnings. I just had to restart the bike and everything worked perfectly again...

I am now starting to be a bit scared every time i stop the bike... I just don't feel any confidence like before, and
i am afraid that my warranty has void since i didn't do the anual check & firmware update.

I hope some crazy freak will come out with a homemade way of flashing our Zeros in the future, so if finally Zero M. releases a final firmware that solves those problems i could flash it.

Good luck all.

That problem happened to me with my 2012 Zero S (VIN # 51), but my bike only had 300 miles on the clock at that time.  Your problem is not the "glitch".  It most likely is a problem with the throttle assembly.  Apparently some of the early bikes had bad throttle assemblies.  Mine was replaced by the factory and I have never had that stalling-at-stop-light-with-no-warning-lights-on issue ever since.

However, I do have a similar problem when the battery pack drops below about 50 degrees F.  Then the bike will not move when the throttle is turned unless you turn off the ignition key and then turn it back on again.  Once you do that, everything works perfectly until the bike gets cold again.

What you are experiencing is not the "glitch", which happens while you are riding and not at a stop.  If you can, have your dealer replace the throttle assembly before the bike's 2-year warranty expires.  If they won't (or can't) do that, maybe you can contact Zero directly and they will ship you a throttle assembly that you can install yourself.

Your Zero does not require an "annual" service to be performed.  To my knowledge, you do not have to do any servicing in order to keep your warranty in effect, according to my reading of the warranty in my owner's manual.  Installing the latest programming would be nice and you dealer should do that for free, I would think.  But I believe that the latest programming will not solve your throttle stalling issue.  That is a mechanical assembly problem.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ivaniclixx

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »

Hi everybody,

Good luck all.

That problem happened to me with my 2012 Zero S (VIN # 51), but my bike only had 300 miles on the clock at that time.  Your problem is not the "glitch".  It most likely is a problem with the throttle assembly.  Apparently some of the early bikes had bad throttle assemblies.  Mine was replaced by the factory and I have never had that stalling-at-stop-light-with-no-warning-lights-on issue ever since.

However, I do have a similar problem when the battery pack drops below about 50 degrees F.  Then the bike will not move when the throttle is turned unless you turn off the ignition key and then turn it back on again.  Once you do that, everything works perfectly until the bike gets cold again.

What you are experiencing is not the "glitch", which happens while you are riding and not at a stop.  If you can, have your dealer replace the throttle assembly before the bike's 2-year warranty expires.  If they won't (or can't) do that, maybe you can contact Zero directly and they will ship you a throttle assembly that you can install yourself.

Your Zero does not require an "annual" service to be performed.  To my knowledge, you do not have to do any servicing in order to keep your warranty in effect, according to my reading of the warranty in my owner's manual.  Installing the latest programming would be nice and you dealer should do that for free, I would think.  But I believe that the latest programming will not solve your throttle stalling issue.  That is a mechanical assembly problem.

So, you say that you're "absolutely" sure that it's not a "glitch" related problem because of my low VIN number? Uhmm... then, if it ever happens again and i enable the kill switch and turn it off again, it should solve the problem as well, true?

Well, anyways, thank you very much for your answer. I'll try to contact my dealer after Christmas.

Kind regards.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 03:53:29 AM »

No, what I am saying is that the dreaded "glitch" happens when the bike is moving, not after it has stopped.  The issue with the throttle not working after stopping for a while during a ride is most likely the throttle assembly issue.  A problem with the throttle not working upon starting up in the morning was (according to a Zero engineer that I spoke with) caused by the programming "fix" for the "glitch".  I was told that in a small percentage of vehicles, the reprogramming caused this problem and there was no cure, so you just have to live with needing two "boots" on cool mornings occasionally, which is what I do.  Once you start riding this problem doesn't seem to occur for the rest of the day.

ivaniclixx

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 10:41:56 PM »

No, what I am saying is that the dreaded "glitch" happens when the bike is moving, not after it has stopped.  The issue with the throttle not working after stopping for a while during a ride is most likely the throttle assembly issue.  A problem with the throttle not working upon starting up in the morning was (according to a Zero engineer that I spoke with) caused by the programming "fix" for the "glitch".  I was told that in a small percentage of vehicles, the reprogramming caused this problem and there was no cure, so you just have to live with needing two "boots" on cool mornings occasionally, which is what I do.  Once you start riding this problem doesn't seem to occur for the rest of the day.

I see, thanks. But then, how can a throttle assembly problem only affect when the bike is fully stopped and tried to accel. again... i just can't understand how inconsistent those issues are...

Anyways, i'll try to get a new throttle.

Thank you again.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »

If your Poti has a "contact noise" / scratching (I don't know the correct English term) the voltage can jump when you twist the throttle and it maybe end in a Throttle wire-off fault! 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:42:51 AM by BSDThw »
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 01:01:28 AM »

I don't know the correct English term

Jittering might be the most appropriate. It means to move around randomly.
Though to be fair your explanation was pretty descriptive, so I'd go with what you said. :)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »

I see, thanks. But then, how can a throttle assembly problem only affect when the bike is fully stopped and tried to accel. again... i just can't understand how inconsistent those issues are...

Anyways, i'll try to get a new throttle.

Thank you again.

Ivan,

Cambia el potenciometro de 5K (sólo busca uno de calidad) y problema solucionado

Saludos desde Seva
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4